Anaconda 18.26 Partitioning Happiness
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anaconda 18.26 Partitioning Happiness

I'm installing with Anaconda 18.26 at the moment, via today's QA smoke test. And, yes, in manual partitioning, when I create a new partition, highlight it, and then click on the little gears icon, I get to choose a drive for that partition.

You will be asked for a mount point and for the size of the partition. Looks like, if you are as reluctant to do math in your head like I am, leaving the size field empty will see the partition default to all the available space.

Also, I am not sure that if you resize a partition after you create it that the resizing will stop when you reach the actual size of the drive. Not sure, but I'm not going to start over just to find out.

Suggestion: The new Anaconda would benefit from some explanatory popups, or some other kind of narrative, to explain exactly what is available to the user and the suggested activity flow. I did not find it clear at all what the little orange warning icons meant, or that I could click on an icon to reconfigure that function, or exactly how to reclaim space on a drive (it isn't obvious what those "Preserve" buttons do), or exactly what the gears in Manual partitioning do.
    Last edited by joncr; 8th November 2012 at 01:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anaconda 18.26 Partitioning Happiness

To pick one out:

"or exactly how to reclaim space on a drive (it isn't obvious what those "Preserve" buttons do)"

this is known and is actually a technical problem - the dialog isn't meant to function quite as it does, it's meant to be much more obvious that those are action dropdowns. but with the framework being used for writing the UI (glade) it's apparently rather hard to actually make that happen, it's not a two-minute fix like you think it would be. it's already been improved somewhat from earlier builds, where it took like six clicks to actually get it done, but we'll try and figure out how to make it work as intended for final at least.
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA Community Monkey
    IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Anaconda 18.26 Partitioning Happiness

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    To pick one out:

"or exactly how to reclaim space on a drive (it isn't obvious what those "Preserve" buttons do)"

this is known and is actually a technical problem - the dialog isn't meant to function quite as it does, it's meant to be much more obvious that those are action dropdowns. but with the framework being used for writing the UI (glade) it's apparently rather hard to actually make that happen, it's not a two-minute fix like you think it would be. it's already been improved somewhat from earlier builds, where it took like six clicks to actually get it done, but we'll try and figure out how to make it work as intended for final at least.
    Thanks, Adam. Funny how we think everything is webby these days.