FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

XFCE as desktop

do u like it ? or what do u think that is not working fine with it ?

Re: XFCE as desktop

It's fine for me and I use it.
    It has a few little quirks but nothing relevant and unlike GNOME, it's configurable.

For an older PC it's a must (or some even lighter window manager).

I like it and for my use I do not have too many issues. I use XFCE/Cinnamon/GNOME depending upon my mood.

Do you have a specific question in mind about xfce or is the intention to gather people's opinions?

I am using XFCE w/Compiz in Arch Linux. I like it quite a lot. Better than Gnome 3.
    Fedora 19 Gnome on a ThinkPad X220, i5-2540M CPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel N 6205 wireless, and Sierra Wireless 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T)

Using Xfce 4.8 in Debian Wheezy at the moment. It's great.

Xfce 4.10 on Fedora 17. It has a few problems, the main one of which being that the xfce4-power-manager seems to have lost the ability to interact with the APC UPS I have. I am using apcupsd instead, as it seems to be reliable. However, I'd rather have xfce4-power-manager back to full functionality.

Other than that, I have compositing turned on to give transparency to windows and panels. I am not using anything like Compiz for effects since it seems to be on the way out. The more simple compositing lets me have desktops that look the same on both my home desktop machine and the netbook I use for classes.
    StephenH

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

Using XFCE spin of Linux Mint 13. Works great.
    Fedora 16 | Intel i5-2500K @ 4.0GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 560Ti-448OC
    Mint 14 Xfce | AMD Phenom II N660 | 8GB | AMD HD4270

stevea Guest

I'm happy enough with XFCE on 3x systems. As mentioned it has a few quirks, but it is pretty intuitive and has lots of knobs and dials to tweak.

Yeah - if lightweight is not a severe constraint and you want basic intuitive DE with some frills, XFCE is good. XFCE is smaller and faster than Gnome(any) or KDE, but a good step larger than LXDE, Enlightenment, Razor, ..

Main quirk - I somehow occasionally select a window for move, and the window and cursor are oddly displaced by about half a screen.
    I don't like the window rollup/rolldown feature but I can configure that out.

Tried razor-qt for an hour+ last weekend and tho' I really like it as a very minimalist & fast DE, I have enough problems with the panel setup that I gave up. It's at 0.51 rev or so, so I can forgive the roughness. I WILL keep an eye on it for the future.

Enlightenment - I quickly tried the v17 (well 16.995 or whatever) from the russian repo and had some install problems. & missing module issues The v16 is likely more stable and installable w/o a fight. It's pretty, it's functional, and seems pretty clean (no big gotchas). Again quite lightweight.
    Last edited by stevea; 30th October 2012 at 12:56 AM.

It's my desktop of choice. I use it on my main computer (laptop running Xubuntu 12.10) and I like it a lot. I have no patience for GNOME 3.X and have never been a fan of KDE (though I use it on PCBSD), so Xfce is where I've been since GNOME3+Unity rolled out.

I am also running Fedora LXDE on a legacy machine, which I like a lot. And I am also using MATE on Mint 13, and I love it as a DE but I can't seem to make WINE and my games play nice with it.

The next one I try will be Cinnamon, I think. It's about the only major desktop I haven't used.

It's a good reliable, occasionally quirky, but ultimately dependable and quick DE.

I've never stuck with it for some reason, but I honestly have nothing against it. It's functionality and plugins I believe have now started to get close to Gnome 2. Though it always has a different "feel" to Gnome 2 funnily enough, even if you style them the same.

I personally use E17 on my netbook nowadays. It's great besides the occassional crash or freeze, but a key binding I have that triggers the E17 "restart" function usually fixes that.
    OS': Fedora 25 - Arch Linux

Yea I use it when I am away from a power source for a long period of time. Reminds me of Gnome2. Saves a bit of battery and gets the job done.

XFCE is a bare-bones desktop that doesn't get in the way of what I want to do - the sign of a well-designed interface.

I don't want visual effects that serve no functional purpose (accessibility features are the exception).

If you have difficulty to clearly read text or discern colors, adding visual effects won't improve anything. A properly configured display, along with a good quality monitor, is all you need.

What do you mean - is there anything else than XFCE?

Even on my high-end pc I'm using Xfce (w Arch), like stevea mentioned you can tweak a lot.

In comparison with gnome/kde it's not a bloat "out of the box" experience, but it became pretty big compared to earlier versions, let's hope they'll keep it as thin as possible.

At least the Xfce team hasn't decided to dictate to me what my desktop will look like, and how I am supposed to change my usage to fit what they wrote.

F15, F16, and F17, I installed Gnome and several other desktops, including Xfce to try out and see what fit my usage the best... On F17, I ended up using Xfce pretty much exclusively, but kept the others installed.

On F18, I have decided to completely dump Gnome and haven't even installed it. It's totally useless for me, and not worth the disk space it uses. You know, my system runs much smoother and faster without Gnome installed. And without Gnome, I can even ditch that atrocious PackageKit as well, along with tracker, telepathy, empathy, evolution, etc...

Edit:

And Thunar is much better than the new nautilus is. They really screwed things up with the nautilus changes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast