BlueRay Drive - videos
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

blueray drive - video playback linux support?

I want to hire and watch blueray films on my Fedora box.

I don't want to rip, copy or otherwise pirate them; I just want to watch legitimately hired blueray videos from the video shop.

Can I do this yet? Are blueray drives supported under linux allowing the playing of video over DVI (not HDMI) and sound outputted via on board or sound card?

What brand of blueray drive should I buy to do this? I'm considering an LG or Pioneer brand.

I don't intend of using the blueray drive for data backup. I just want to watch films on my linux box.

Advice appreciated before I shell out for a blueray drive that ends up being useless.
    Last edited by synic; 29th September 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Re: BlueRay Drive - videos

Probably not.

There is no official support, because watching films is illegal now.

Using DVI is illegal too, because it doesn't have no HDCP copy protection.

Your best best would be to buy a standalone player and connect it to your telly ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by george_toolan
    Probably not.

There is no official support, because watching films is illegal now.

Using DVI is illegal too, because it doesn't have no HDCP copy protection.

Your best best would be to buy a standalone player and connect it to your telly ;-)
    Bummer... Even for people who want to do things legitimately, we're not allowed to.

Judging from the fact that those who legitimately buy a DVD will now be forced to sit through two, rather than one, unskippable warnings, one wonders if the folks who make these things have just realized it's easier to sue alleged pirates who have no money to fight them in court than to create content.

On the other hand, a pirating acquaintance mentioned how they downloaded a book, then saw a big notice at the beginning of the book about how the author and publisher (Tor Books) had taken effort to make the book DRM free. The downloader then went and bought the book instead. They (don't know if it was a he or she, a casual Internet acquaintance) mentioned this to me, and I shot the author an email telling them.

The author wrote back, asking my permission to forward the email to the publisher, which I thought was nice.

Same think with Louis C.K. and Aziz Ansari. I suspect that many who paid the $5.00 for their download were as much interested in showing the powers that be that they were willing to pay a reasonable price for a reasonable product as they were fans of either the comedians.