FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Backlight control with NVidia drivers

I have had nothing but trouble trying to get linux working on this laptop, and would really appreciate some help. I recently switched over to the NVIDIA drivers because with the nouveau drivers on kernel 3.5.x I can't suspend. The problem I'm having is that I can't control my backlight with these drivers.

I tried nvclock because I hear that application can change it for me but it crashes and won't run. Is there any way to work around the nvidia drivers and control the screens backlight?

Any help you could provide would be appreciated.

I'm running Fedora 17 with linux 3.5.3-1 on an ASUS G73 but she doesn't seem to like linux very much. The card I'm using is the GTX 460M with the bult-in display (don't need brightness control on the HDMI or VGA connections obviously)

[edit] nevermind, I'm a moron. Forgot that the default xorg.conf doesn't have backlight enabled.
    Last edited by Fewmets; 17th September 2012 at 04:54 PM.

PabloTwo is offline "Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

Re: Backlight control with NVidia drivers

I find it sort of odd that you don't mention if you've even tried using the Fn+F5 (brightness down) and Fn+F6 (brightness up) keys to control brightness while in Linux. Yes, I checked the specifications of your Asus G73 and all the "Hotkey" functions are listed in the specs. "nvclock" is for under/over clocking an nvidia gpu and as far as I can tell has nothing to do with controlling the brightness level of a laptops LCD screen.

If the native Fn+xx function keys don't work, there may be a setting in /proc that can be written to that will alter the brightness level. I've seen many threads here on the forum discussing that tactic.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

Glad you got that going. I guess you mean adding something like this in your xorg.conf file for the nvidia driver:
    Code:
    Option "RegistryDwords"	"EnableBrightnessControl=1"

Re: Backlight control with NVidia drivers

On my XPS 15 (L502X) I'm using nouveau drivers and never had any problems with suspend.

# rpm -qa xorg-x11-drv-nouveau
    xorg-x11-drv-nouveau-0.0.16-37.20120306gitf5d1cd2.fc17.x86_64
    # uname -r
    3.5.3-1.fc17.x86_64