FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

new card rtl8192se -- slow slow speed/internet

I just picked up a new Roselink wifi card (pci-e) for a desktop. The driver is rtl8192se. I installed Fedora 17 yesterday, and the wifi speeds are incredibly slow. 1 mbs download speeds on speedtest. Something is wrong here. Could someone help me? Thanks

3.3.7-1.fc17.x86_64

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: em14 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Type: Wired
    Driver: tg3
    State: unavailable
    Default: no
    HW Address: 84:2B:2B:AA:43:5E

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect: yes

Wired Properties
    Carrier: off

- Device: wlan0 [Auto linksys] ------------------------------------------------
    Type: 802.11 WiFi
    Driver: rtl8192se
    State: connected
    Default: yes
    HW Address: 00:08:54:A2:BD:4E

Capabilities:
    Speed: 54 Mb/s
    Last edited by mac1133; 25th May 2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: kernel update

Re: new card rtl8192se -- slow slow speed/internet

No help I'm afraid, but I have a netbook with the same chipset. I upgraded to F17 today and cannot get the wireless to work with any sort of security. It works fine with the router set to no security. I've tried using wicd but that didn't work either, and not had any luck turning NetworkManager off and manually configuring iwconfig. Might these be related or is there a bug?

PS Just been in Pittsburgh - a nice city!

Strange, same card, works like a charm, F17.

Is the chipset of your wifi card rtl8188CE? Well, I have that chipset and have the same driver you mentioned installed and am facing a lot of problems, mainly with the speeds and stability of the connection...

Did you download the drivers from realtek website and compile on your own or just the default ones...

I added some dns entries in the /etc/resolv.conf file and some stability..

---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM ----------

My apologies, I assumed you were using the wireless chipset... Although you can still try to add some dns entries though..

Quote Originally Posted by parth

I added some dns entries in the /etc/resolv.conf file and some stability..[COLOR="Silver"]
    You don't use NetworkManager, do you? NetworkManager rewrites /etc/resolv.conf file so you don't gain any advantage editing it...

But the whole point is bypassing the dns resolution by the default gtwy(i.e the router). So if i just add dns's in the nw manager, the default gtwy will still be top of the list..while writing to the resolv.conf will ensure the router is not there in the picture...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDudko
    You don't use NetworkManager, do you? NetworkManager rewrites /etc/resolv.conf file so you don't gain any advantage editing it...
    To implement changes to the /etc/resolv.conf when you use NetworkManager, go into the NetworkManager widget on your desktop of choice, select "manage connections" and add the DNS addresses you want to the "IPv4 Address" tab or "IPv6 Address" tab if you use ip6 (note I'm quoting the tab names in KDE so the Gnome ones may be different but it should be pretty obvious)

Quote Originally Posted by parth
    But the whole point is bypassing the dns resolution by the default gtwy(i.e the router). So if i just add dns's in the nw manager, the default gtwy will still be top of the list..while writing to the resolv.conf will ensure the router is not there in the picture...
    When a connection is established /etc/resolve.conf file gets rewritten. After that there's no use of editing it: ip addresses are taken from memory, not the file. So you either use NetworkManager and don't edit /etc/resolve.conf or don't use NetworkManager and gain some advantage of editing the config. file.