Blueray burners. . . . are you using one?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Blueray burners. . . . are you using one?

Just wondering if anyone is using a Blueray burner besides a DVD or CD burner on their system. I've got 2 DVD burners and would like to replace one of them for a Blueray burner just because they are equivalent to about 5 DVD disks in storage capacity. I've got tons of jpgs and 'raw' photo's that need to be saved and archived onto fewer disks. Is K3b Blueray capable program? Will I need additional software for any of the burners out there?

Prices have come down considerably and I was looking either at a Liteon, Pioneer, or any other brand that is around $100.00 US.

Thoughts, opinions or idea's?

Rich

Re: Blueray burners. . . . are you using one?

i have DVD and BD burners on my system. K3b works pretty well for me writing BD disks. Can't recall off the top of my head which model BD burner I have though.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++L++ P+>+++ L+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Re: Blueray burners. . . . are you using one?

I grabbed a Pioneer BDR-206DBK about a month ago for US$65.00 on sale and it has worked fairly well in Fedora for me.

From what I remember, k3b has supported bluray burning since version 2.0 a few years ago.

I still use DVD quite a lot, though. Price of DVD media is about a quarter each, bluray 25's around a $1.50 each. Price per GB is a little cheaper using DVD, so I use it more unless I really need the larger media.