Installing GNUstep on Fedora
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Installing GNUstep on Fedora

Hi,

I'm running Fedora 15, 64-bit, and wanted to install GNUstep, so as to have a crack at Objective-C.

I used another post on this site to do the following:

Code:
    yum install gcc-objc libobjc gnustep-base-devel gnustep-gui-devel gnustep-gui-libs gnustep-back gnustep-make gnustep-filesystem gorm-devel
    which worked fine, with no errors at all. In the Add/Remove Software dialog box it all appears to be installed okay.

However, I was expecting an item to appear in a menu somewhere so that I can use Gorm (the GUI), but I see nothing anywhere, and I can't figure out how I'm meant to use GNUstep or anything.

Any assistance much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Installing GNUstep on Fedora

If the gorm package is installed then the executable is /usr/bin/Gorm, which I believe is a link to /usr/lib64/GNUstep/Applications/Gorm.app/Gorm.
    OS: Fedora 28 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Thanks for that ... You appear to be correct, but each time I try to execute it I end up with "Segmentation fault (core dumped)."

Not sure how to progress from that ... Any clues welcome!

Thanks.

Use strace to see where/when the fault occurs.
    Use DDD for debugging.

It appears you've run into this bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=729482

You may have no choice but to build GNUstep and Gorm from source. It's not that difficult if you follow this Build Guide: http://gnustep.made-it.com/BuildGuide/
    If you compile Gorm then you might want to read my last post in this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=268450
    You can get the GNUstep sources here: http://wwwmain.gnustep.org/resources/downloads.php

The problem is that the Fedora GNUstep packages are broken, and there aren't enough people working on them to fix them. On top of that, the GNUstep sources seem designed for Debian-based systems. It takes a little effort to get it all working in Fedora but it's do-able. I run a number of GNUstep applications in Fedora.
    OS: Fedora 28 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Thanks Rupert ... I'll check out those links.

Much appreciated!