fedora 16 gnome fails system fails on initial update reboot
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fedora 16 gnome fails system fails on initial update reboot

Hi,

Using a Dell XPS laptop, 1 640gb sata hd, i7intel, 6gb ram nvidia gt 435m, 2010 model, dual boot win 7.
    Switching from ubuntu 10.04 on the dual boot.

Install goes well initially. Shows it loaded the nvidia driver (sudo lshw, after lshw install) but when starts says Gnome failed, using fallback environment. Think unity/gnome2 sucks so who cares, but sill don't get that. Display shows 1920 x 1080 or normal res. on monitor. Thinking to install latest driver from Nvidia might fix but who knows but more importantly can't get there.

This is because when the Kernel is updated (initial update after install) upon reboot, the system fails just after the grub, actually after picking the 3.x kernel. Says installing ram disk, then fails. Some Panic error message. If a 2.x kernel is picked then all is well.

Loaded twice reformatting partitions each time. Same results. Linux partitions are /boot 300mg, / 40gb, and swap 7gb (yeah I know technically the swap should be 12 gb but been using linux for 2 years and don't recall even using any swap ever, except for instances where the running program was out of control and had to be manually stopped) .

Are there issues with partition sizes and location on the physical drive? What else could be tried?

Thanks
    ed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: fedora 16 gnome fails system fails on initial update reboot

No worries. Installed linux mint debian and all is well. Had issues with an update error/failure. Reinstalled, unchecked that update item on initial update, and then after the initial update, re-updated the item that failed and all is well. Mint debain uses compiz instead of multiple desktops, which I don't like, and have to edit config files to get rid of dayglow green fonts in the terminal. I use the terminal a lot, mysql dumps, vim etc. Don't need a server on my laptop though and don't use my laptop that much so not a big deal. In fact was just using it as a test to check for planned updates on three of my workstations, which are important as in make a living with them. Was hoping to use the RPM repositories for them. Well see.

Looking forward to the stable release of 17 and will try again then.