[SOLVED] blacklisting radeon module for catalyst
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

blacklisting radeon module for catalyst

Hi,

I'm trying out the catalyst driver 12.1 and I'm clearly missing something when trying to blacklist the radeon driver. When booting catalyst it tries to load the radeon module and and when I get as far as gdm I get either a blank screen or a screen of coloured lines then the system reboots. I tried adding the following to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Code:
    blacklist radeon
    blacklist radeonhd
    But it still loads the radeon module. I'm clearly missing out a step, because if I edit by grub boot string to include rdblacklist=radeon it boots ok.

Could someone tell me what I've missed?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: blacklisting radeon module for catalyst

on my Fedora 15 system I have radeon.modeset=0 (probably exactly the same as rdblacklist=radeon) in the grub boot string. That's probably the easiest way to solve it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fenrin, thanks. That was what I opted for (well rdblacklist=radeon) as I realised that I used nearly the same flag for my old NVidia card: rdblacklist=nouveau

That being said, I found the tearing in Gnome 3 was driving me batty. Meantime I've switched back to the radeon driver despite 3D being decidedly poor, and or broken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gnome 3 and catalyst still don't play well together. If you want to use Gnome 3 without any tearing, you have to use fallback mode.

On the bright side, KDE 4.7 has gotten quite a bit better. I installed the KDE spin after I got tried of Gnome's very limited fallback mode. With all of the updates applied, it runs quite well (for the moment).