[SOLVED] Bluetooth - can't receive files
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Bluetooth - can't receive files

As the title says, my PC is unable to receive files over bluetooth.

I've paired my PC to my mobile and netbook, and can send files to both of them without a problem - it's only traffic in the other direction that's problematic. I was able to receive files through the same connections when I had my F14 install, but can't with F16. The netbook and mobile can communicate with each other in both directions without a problem.

I've tried installing all the bluez* packages and gnome-user-share, as suggested in other threads, but I've had no luck. I've tried restarting the bluetooth service, logging out and in and re-pairing the devices (PC -> netbook first, and netbook -> PC first), and this hasn't resolved the issue either.

One major difference between the netbook (F14 Gnome) and PC (F16 Xfce) bluetooth managers is that, while both use gnome-bluetooth, the netbook's allows me to modify the settings for receiving files under 'Preferences', while the PC's doesn't (there isn't a 'receive files' option anywhere in there). Am I missing a package that permits that, maybe?

All help will be gratefully received!
    I generally use two tools - trial and error. They fix most things eventually!

Re: Bluetooth - can't receive files

Quote Originally Posted by Bazu135
    As the title says, my PC is unable to receive files over bluetooth.

I've paired my PC to my mobile and netbook, and can send files to both of them without a problem - it's only traffic in the other direction that's problematic. I was able to receive files through the same connections when I had my F14 install, but can't with F16. The netbook and mobile can communicate with each other in both directions without a problem.

I've tried installing all the bluez* packages and gnome-user-share, as suggested in other threads, but I've had no luck. I've tried restarting the bluetooth service, logging out and in and re-pairing the devices (PC -> netbook first, and netbook -> PC first), and this hasn't resolved the issue either.

One major difference between the netbook (F14 Gnome) and PC (F16 Xfce) bluetooth managers is that, while both use gnome-bluetooth, the netbook's allows me to modify the settings for receiving files under 'Preferences', while the PC's doesn't (there isn't a 'receive files' option anywhere in there). Am I missing a package that permits that, maybe?

All help will be gratefully received!
    I don't know about Gnome but I know if you use KDE4 there's a 'receive files' control checkbox in the System Settings. You might need to check something to allow reception of files.

Thanks for that suggestion - unfortunately, it looks like there's nothing there that makes a difference.

Anyone else?

I'm having the same issue with pairing with Android. I can send files to my phone, but cannot receive. It seems like there should be options in the bluetooth settings to set up where to receive files and which devices are allowed to send, but I could be thinking about this wrong.

see link below
    Last edited by Dan; 17th October 2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Link removed
    you are what you say, what you read, what you type
    my blog - http://mahisaajy.blogspot.com/

rhoenix: If you are going to answer questions, then answer them here. Don't just reference your blog. Doing so comes dangerously close to spamming the forum. Mentioning it in your signature is quite enough without linking it everywhere.

i see .......
    you are what you say, what you read, what you type
    my blog - http://mahisaajy.blogspot.com/

The short version of that blog entry is that installing blueman will resolve the problem - and it does! Xfce's default bluetooth manager still won't allow me to receive files, but blueman works without any apparent problems.

Start-up options have been modified accordingly (blueman on, default software off), and the issue's solved Thank you!

I was unable to get FC17 to recieve files from my android phone. I solved by installing Gnome-user-share package. After installed, I ran Personal file sharing and selected "recieve files in downloads folder over bluetooth". I was then able to recieve files from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by captv564
    I was unable to get FC17 to recieve files from my android phone. I solved by installing Gnome-user-share package. After installed, I ran Personal file sharing and selected "recieve files in downloads folder over bluetooth". I was then able to recieve files from my phone.
    That worked for me, thank you

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

Using Fedora 28, cannot receive files via Bluetooth.
    Sending files from PC to phone works.

The device (Android phone) is paired. Blueman is installed. Obex-service has been started and is running.
    $ systemctl --user status obex.service
    ● obex.service - Bluetooth OBEX service
    Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/user/obex.service; enabled; vendor preset: >
    Active: active (running) since Thu 2018-11-08 10:46:59 EET; 13min ago
    Main PID: 7685 (obexd)
    CGroup: /user.slice/user-1000.slice/user@1000.service/obex.service
    └─7685 /usr/libexec/bluetooth/obexd
    But when sending files from the phone, it always fails.

In GNOME Settings > Sharing > File Sharing : it is enabled, so turned ON.
    No other settings referring to Bluetooth is there in Sharing category.

In Bluetooth-settings, the phone is seen as paired. Also it shows on top "Visible as "f28host" and available for Bluetooth file transfers. Transferred files are placed in the Downloads folder."

But nothing comes to Downloads folder, and phone reports sending(s) fail.

Linux (Fedora) Firefox 63.0

After fixing one SELinux issue, and rebooting, it started to work. Can now send files from paired BT phone to Fedora PC.
    The bug: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1649223