Need help on Firefox Nightly plugins!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need help on Firefox Nightly plugins!

Hi.
    I have a problem that my Firefox Nightly 11.0a1 (2011-12-17) doesn't have plugins, when I check the about:plugins it's blanked. So that I can't use flash or something. I installed nightly by manual because F16 doesn't have it on the add/remove softwares.

I install it on ~/firefox/ and i'm using it parallel with firefox 8 which is default installed. That version 8 is working flawlessly with plugins but have laggy problem with youtube and googleplus etc... I don't know why but I can't fix it so far after trying many methods so I give Nightly a try. That laggy is over but it doesn't have flash now.

Please help me solve the problem!
    Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Need help on Firefox Nightly plugins!

Quote Originally Posted by boyhuesd

I have a problem that my Firefox Nightly 11.0a1 (2011-12-17) doesn't have plugins, when I check the about:plugins it's blanked. So that I can't use flash or something.
    Maybe it's just me, but when I install Firefox it never has the Flash Player plugin installed. I always have to do it. The rpm-installed-version of Firefox uses a hidden .mozilla folder in your home directory, the plugins folder is there. That linux-i686 "drop-in" version of Firefox probably uses a plugins folder in the untarred folder. Try copying the plugins from the first one's plugins folder to the second one. It won't hurt to look and try anyway. Or, download the Flash Player tarball from Adobe, untar it, and copy libflashplayer.so to the plugins folder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stoat
    Maybe it's just me, but when I install Firefox it never has the Flash Player plugin installed. I always have to do it. The rpm-installed-version of Firefox uses a hidden .mozilla folder in your home directory, the plugins folder is there. That linux-i686 "drop-in" version of Firefox probably uses a plugins folder in the untarred folder. Try copying the plugins from the first one's plugins folder to the second one. It won't hurt to look and try anyway. Or, download the Flash Player tarball from Adobe, untar it, and copy libflashplayer.so to the plugins folder.
    Thank you stoat, I appriciate you help. I made flash worked on my Nightly. Default Firefox doesn't have plugins folder on ~/.mozilla, i don't know why. I use the search function to find flash folder and copied libflashplayer.so to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ and it worked.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would give some information that might help in future for those wanting to use Nightly.

You can put a symlink to your plugins directory in your Nightly installation directory to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/ directory like I did. Works the same and no copying to the Nightly installation directory is necessary after installations of plugins that are packaged for Fedora.

Close the browser first.

$ cd ~/firefox
    $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins ./plugins

For x86_64, just change 'lib' to 'lib64' in the command line.

Or, use Nautilus or whatever file manager you use to drag and drop the plugins directory to your Nightly installation directory while holding down the Alt key. You will be asked what you want to do. You want to use the 'link' menu item. You will have a link to that directory called plugins that symlinks to the Fedora plugins directory.

Launch the browser and all your plugins that are compatible with your version of Nightly will function in Nightly as well as the default browser with no additional copying from one directory to the other. Changes made to the plugins directory are picked up by the Nightly installation, which thinks the plugins directory is in the Nightly directory.

You can also put Nightly in /opt and do the above there so everyone that uses your computer can use Nightly. I have done it both ways with the same result.
    Last edited by dcharlespyle; 16th September 2012 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention something...