libxp.so.6 ???
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    mud_diver Guest

libxp.so.6 ???

First excuse my english, since i'm from austria, my native language is german.

My problem : i installed firefox 1.0 - german version ( 32 bit ), and after trying to run, he stops with the following message :
    ./firefox.bin : error while loading shared libraries : libXP.so.6 , cannot open shared object file
    I have installed all compatibility modules and and all upgrades to 18.11.2004. The only upgrade i don't use is Kernel 2.6.9-1.678_FC3 due to kernel panic with this version.

The hardware i use is : Mainboard MSI-K8N Neo Platinum, AMD 64 2400+ ( Newcastle ), 1 GB Ram Corsair, 1 Seagate S-ATA 160 Gb, MSI 9600SE Graphic, LG CD/DVD RW.

Everything works fine including on board sound and lan, but i had to use the 32bit firefox, because the 64bit firefox lacks with flash and also seems only available at the moment in english.

Thank you in advance for any help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solution to your problem is adressed in thread 26505. libXp.so.6 is deprecated in Fedora Core 3 but is available in xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-6.8.1-12.i386.rpm on disk 2 of the installation CDs. libXp.so.6 is also required by acrobat reader, which is why I needed it. My thanks to "crackers" for identifying the fix.

mud_diver Guest
    The xorg-deprecated-libs are already installed. The libXp.so.6 is found in the /usr/X11R6/lib64 directory.

Forget to say, i use fc3_64.

Thank you in advance

mud_diver Guest
    SUCCESS !!!

After doing some resarch for the deprecated libs i found, that as far as i can see, during the install issues of tfirefox some dependancies seems to be incorrect. So i backed up all data and simply reinstalled FC3_64 from crash, without the firefox version from the installer. Without any patches, i installed firefox 1.0 32-bit and thunderbird 0.9-32 and so far, after migrating my firefox bookmarks and thunderbird profile - everything seems to be working, including the flash player plugin.

Thank you for all

blackisle Guest
    I've also had the problem of "/usr/local/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: error while loading shared libraries: libXp.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory", I've checked the ^above listed rpms on disc 2 and both the .386 and .64 are already installed. I've had no problems with Firefox but Acroread is refusing to load. Am very new to Linux so am sure it's probably a path issue (had some issues with pyorbit-2 not being installed ina std lib path for gDesklets) but any ideas would be gratefuly received!

blackisle Guest
    </edit> Have copied the libXp.so.6 out of the rpm to the Acroread lib directory and now have it running

bigsetts Guest

help much appreciated

I was having the same troubles. Just wanted to say thanks for the good pointers on this page. I downloaded the xorg libs from http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pu...6/Fedora/RPMS/

Matt

robby_ing Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blackisle
    </edit> Have copied the libXp.so.6 out of the rpm to the Acroread lib directory and now have it running
    Well, I'm trying to do the same, could you tell me what you mean with "Acroread lib directory"?
    Thanks!