FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 20 of 20
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica (Swissh)
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,277

    Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working

    Heyas, pardon me for jumping in, bus this thread machtes the 'current issue' i have.

    Though its a laptop, and starting off a minimal install and for the fun's sake, there is no spare wire around.
    Reading through other and this thread, a collection of these tools are listed...
    Code:
    yum install -y -q man nano iw rfkill pciutils
    *kmod-wl is provided with rpmfusion, which cannot be obtained without a working wifi, as well as the above other utils.

    After running dhclient, ip addr could list the wifi device.
    Code:
    #ifconfig wlan0
    #ifup wlan0
    Now the issue:
    Yum sais my system is up to date, but i cant install anything via yum, as it switches mirrors over and over, without even changing the file once.

    I'm not quite sure if ifconfig and ifup were enough for a proper connection, ping works, not so yum.
    Last edited by sea; 24th November 2011 at 09:32 PM.
    EFI Cheatsheet :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298546
    Video Handler Script (VHS) (mass re-encode videos, screenrecorder, console music/webradio player, ...) :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=299182
    Windows 8+ & Fedora 20+ Dualboot :: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=298161

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working

    Quote Originally Posted by sea
    Heyas, pardon me for jumping in, bus this thread machtes the 'current issue' i have.

    Though its a laptop, and starting off a minimal install and for the fun's sake, there is no spare wire around.
    Reading through other and this thread, a collection of these tools are listed...
    Code:
    yum install -y -q man nano iw rfkill pciutils
    *kmod-wl is provided with rpmfusion, which cannot be obtained without a working wifi, as well as the above other utils.

    After running dhclient, ip addr could list the wifi device.
    Code:
    #ifconfig wlan0
    #ifup wlan0
    Now the issue:
    Yum sais my system is up to date, but i cant install anything via yum, as it switches mirrors over and over, without even changing the file once.

    I'm not quite sure if ifconfig and ifup were enough for a proper connection, ping works, not so yum.
    Are you pinging an IP address or a name? Does it resolve names correctly? If not, then I would suspect your DNS settings need to be changed somewhere.
    StephenH

    "We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

    http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    25

    Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH
    Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

    I can't really say for LXDE since I am using XFCE. However, this may help:

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...ad+login+click

    The second post refers to this link:

    http://jaisejames.wordpress.com/2011...dm3-fedora-16/

    If you have a synaptics touchpad (which seems to be the most common) that supports multi-touch, the lines will support left click with a single finger tap, middle click with two fingers, and right click with three.

    Believe me, I have done quite a bit of searching over the past few years. I recommend you use the search function of this forum. It is very useful. I usually choose the option to search forums. For example, to find the information above, I used the terms touchpad login click. Once it is enabled there, it will be enabled globally, so you won't need to worry about finding a specific tool in LXDE to do the job. I havn't needed to find a separate utility to support two-fingered scrolling. It just seems to work on my netbook with synaptics touchpad but not on my desktop with an Alps touchpad. The Alps does have three buttons though, so it makes up for its other shortcomings.
    hey man thanks for the links however i found that using google . and that yes does what i want (tap to click support) however im looking for the GUI that is on ubuntu and KDE and xdce desktops . under system tools . i tried this , but i didnt see any changes in the system settings . it still only lists keyboard and mouse . im looking for that settings option so i can enable and set up the scrolling option on the edge of the trackpad .

    Code:
    yum install gpointing-device-settings

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,419

    Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working (and other miscellaneous advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by elesbb
    hey man thanks for the links however i found that using google . and that yes does what i want (tap to click support) however im looking for the GUI that is on ubuntu and KDE and xdce desktops . under system tools . i tried this , but i didnt see any changes in the system settings . it still only lists keyboard and mouse . im looking for that settings option so i can enable and set up the scrolling option on the edge of the trackpad .

    Code:
    yum install gpointing-device-settings
    The gui is there, but there is no menu entry for it. You can invoke it from the command line. Just enter "gpointing-device-settings, and it will bring up the GUI. You can also set up a launcher for it easily enough if you wish in one of your panels.
    Last edited by StephenH; 26th November 2011 at 02:39 AM. Reason: Need to change title to miscellaneous vice miscelaneous. Also delete double entry added in the attempt.
    StephenH

    "We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

    http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    25

    Re: WiFi on acer aspire one netbook not working (and other miscellaneous advice)

    Quote Originally Posted by StephenH
    The gui is there, but there is no menu entry for it. You can invoke it from the command line. Just enter "gpointing-device-settings, and it will bring up the GUI. You can also set up a launcher for it easily enough if you wish in one of your panels.
    thanks i didnt even think about the command line xP . i doubt i'll need a launcher for it . once i get my setttings where i want them i shouldnt have to adjust anything . again stephen and everyone else i cant thank you enough for getting me going in the right direction . im really loving fedora on the netbook . runs like a champ . might jsut might put it on my behemoth laptop . just maybe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Fedora 14 on acer aspire one netbook mic doesn't work
    By brazilinux in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 7th February 2011, 03:37 AM
  2. acer aspire one fedora 13 wifi
    By simkin1982 in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27th May 2010, 03:13 PM
  3. Acer Aspire One WiFi problem
    By ste5442 in forum Linux Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 2nd January 2009, 03:19 PM
  4. Acer Aspire 5100 Series...and Wifi
    By gecko87 in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st February 2007, 08:14 PM
  5. Acer Aspire 3000 WiFi does not work
    By camilo in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th September 2005, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •