Unable to suspend after upgrading to fedora 16 - help!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unable to suspend after upgrading to fedora 16 - help!

Hello everybody

I recently upgraded (using preupgrade) to fedora 16 and I've been having problems with power management.

Primarily - I have not been able to suspend (sleep) my laptop. This worked fine with fedora 15.

'sudo pm-suspend' does suspend the pc just fine but nothing happend when I try to trigger a suspend with the power button (it is configured to suspend in dconf) and when I try to use the menu option it just locks the screen.

I've yum reinstalled every power related package I can think of and even tried suspending from xfce - that doesn't work either.

Also, I don't have acpid or acpi installed - acpid would force my system to shut down instantly no matter what the dconf setting was.

And the power button itself does work fine - if set to interactive in dconf it triggers the shut down menu.

Please help.

Re: Unable to suspend after upgrading to fedora 16 - help!

Create a new user and try to reproduce this issue under that new account. If problem persists, it's best to make a clean installation of F16. Prepare an installation flash drive or DVD with Live iso image burnt and boot into Live system. So it lets you immidiatley check if the powermanagemnet works, even before you decide to install the system. Good luck!

I was hoping for a better solution than wiping and reinstalling

Is there some place where I can get an overview of power management in fedora 16? The packages involved etc etc? That way I might be able to trace the problem and fix it...

Thanks

there's Power Manager in Gnome of course, so you can check it.
    Also , the issue may be due to some legacy files in home directory, or in /var or /tmp.

Am also facing the same issue.. it was working fine in fedora15.

I'm having a similar issue, and perhaps I can add some depth the description of the problem (or perhaps, I'm having a different but related one).

The Suspend option in my user menu works just fine appears to begin the screenlock, but then, once the screen has fully darkened, it goes back to normal, no lockscreen and the computer never actually suspended.

But, as I'm spending more and more time these days in the terminal, and not using the GUI (I just want it to look pretty =P), I'd like to be able to do it from the command-line. However, the pm-suspend and pm-hibernate commands do nothing for me. I've reinstalled pm-utils, and I do a near-daily yum update. Let me know if you have any solutions.

All the best,

-HG
    Last edited by HalosGhost; 17th November 2011 at 09:22 AM.

You can use this command for suspending:

Code:
    dbus-send --system --print-reply --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer  org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.Suspend  int32:0
    Make a script with this command and it will be even more comfortable to use.

Are you also hit by the errors due to borked version of the at package in updates-testing repo???

Here http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...47&postcount=5 is the trouble shooting and solution.

It doesm't seem sane to expect stability from updates-testing, so I just avoid it. Suspension and hibernating work perfectly out of the box on my i3 machine.
    Last edited by zeffanyx; 17th November 2011 at 11:33 AM.

I had problems with pm-suspend or suspend from the drop down menu. My problem had to do with how it closes down interfaces for dhclient. It uses 56dhclient routine in /usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d. It looks in
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and tries to shut down interfaces. I had one named

ifcfg-Auto_Bob_Howard's_Guest_Network

which represented a neighbors wireless network. It was having a problem with the 's. I removed this file and now it suspends just fine.

I found the error by checking out the log file /var/log/pm-suspend.log

Interesting. I also have an error cropping up in /var/log/pm-suspend.log, but it isn't what you mentioned.

It appears there is a syntax error in one of the scripts called 56atd (which I am unfamiliar with). But in looking through that script, nothing appears to be wrong. Below is a link to the pastebin of the script.

pastebin.com/ki0H9qdE

The syntax error is supposedly at line 14 with the 'fi' but I don't see it.

Any and all help is appreciated.

All the best,

-HG

Should it be "else" vice "elif"?

KKnight,

Sorry to say that doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

All the best,

-HG