can't boot Fedora 16 live cd
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can't boot Fedora 16 live cd

I just downloaded the Fedora 16 64-bit iso a couple hours ago and burned it to disc. I'm trying to boot off the disc on my Dell XPS laptop. However, it fails to boot (just like Fedora 15 did), but with a different error message. The error message I got seemed to suggest it couldn't find the root partition on the disc. This is what it said:

dracut Warning: No root device "live:/dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is" is found

Dropping to debug shell.

sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    dracut:/#

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way around it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: can't boot Fedora 16 live cd

Same problem here... I need help too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

try writing it to a USB stick and see if it boots that way?
    Adam Williamson | awilliam AT redhat DOT com
    Fedora QA Community Monkey
    IRC: adamw | Twitter: AdamW_Fedora | identi.ca: adamwfedora
    http://www.happyassassin.net

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too! Exactly same error.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamW
    try writing it to a USB stick and see if it boots that way?
    I tried this on my new laptop with Fedora 15 too as well and had no luck. In fact, I tried both the 32-bit and 64-bit Live CD versions of Fedora 15 as well as the installation DVD and none of them would boot. I kept getting dropped to the dracut shell. I can try the DVD installation disc or installing via USB, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the same results. The funny part is, I have a 9 year old Pentium 4 laptop than can boot both of these just fine! Obviously there is a problem between Fedora and the hardware in this particular Dell XPS laptop because as you can see, I'm not the only one experiencing it.
    Last edited by axel2078; 10th November 2011 at 04:17 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also had the same error, but I'm not sure if it is the same situation as here. In my case, I wrote the Fedora 16 Live CD to a USB drive and attempted a EFI boot because I wanted to try an EFI install to a spare, empty GPT-formatted hard drive. I had the same error as in Post #1. However, I found that if I did a BIOS boot instead, it booted up just fine.

I noticed that in the BIOS Grub menu, the kernel parameter used a UUID= ref for thr root, but in the EFI grub menu, it used a LABEL= parameter, specifying the label in the dracut warning message. On a hunch, I tried a EFI boot again, but editted the kernel parameter to use the UUID parameter used for the BIOS boot instead of LABEL. After this, SUCCESS!. I was able to complete the EFI boot and do the EFI install to my hard drive.

This indicates a possible problem with the EFI Grub menu. My solution, if it works for anyone else, is an awkward work-around which should not be necessary.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by willyb1946
    I also had the same error, but I'm not sure if it is the same situation as here. In my case, I wrote the Fedora 16 Live CD to a USB drive and attempted a EFI boot because I wanted to try an EFI install to a spare, empty GPT-formatted hard drive. I had the same error as in Post #1. However, I found that if I did a BIOS boot instead, it booted up just fine.

I noticed that in the BIOS Grub menu, the kernel parameter used a UUID= ref for thr root, but in the EFI grub menu, it used a LABEL= parameter, specifying the label in the dracut warning message. On a hunch, I tried a EFI boot again, but editted the kernel parameter to use the UUID parameter used for the BIOS boot instead of LABEL. After this, SUCCESS!. I was able to complete the EFI boot and do the EFI install to my hard drive.

This indicates a possible problem with the EFI Grub menu. My solution, if it works for anyone else, is an awkward work-around which should not be necessary.
    Are you also using a Dell XPS L502X laptop? I'm not sure what you mean by BIOS boot vs EFI boot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Code:
    Are you also using a Dell XPS L502X laptop? I'm not sure what you mean by BIOS boot vs EFI boot.
    No, I am not using that model, but I suspect the problem is not limited to it alone. That model appears to be a fairly recent, high end sandy bridge based computer, with a bios that is almost certainly EFI based, similar to my desktop where I had the problem, so my work-around may still be relevant.

You appear to be unfamiliar with EFI booting, but your BIOS may still be attempting to do an EFI boot of your install media even if you are unaware of it, since the install media is EFI capable. It depends on the boot options available in your BIOS. If you really don't want to do a EFI boot of your install media, you may have to change an option in your BIOS to turn off EFI booting and force a BIOS boot instead.

You can get an idea of the difference between EFI and BIOS booting from the following ref http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/booting.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tested Fedora 16 on three computers and one virtual one under Win7 64 bit (VirtualBox). The Acer Veriton I just received fails miserably (Sandy Bridge), my old IBM ThinkPad T60 fails (and that one has Fedora 15), My Dell 1555 ... WORKS. Well, I only booted the Live CD successfully to be honest. On the Acer I tried booting the Live CD inside a VirtualBox. And that one came as fa as booting Gnome - and then Gnome failed...

Fun thing is the fact that the T60 is working like a charm on Fedora 15 and has had no problems whatsoever, but on version 16, I get two lines of dark square-like symbols on a black screen.

The Veriton fails with the message similar to the original poster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khanun
    I've tested Fedora 16 on three computers and one virtual one under Win7 64 bit (VirtualBox). The Acer Veriton I just received fails miserably (Sandy Bridge), my old IBM ThinkPad T60 fails (and that one has Fedora 15), My Dell 1555 ... WORKS. Well, I only booted the Live CD successfully to be honest. On the Acer I tried booting the Live CD inside a VirtualBox. And that one came as fa as booting Gnome - and then Gnome failed...

Fun thing is the fact that the T60 is working like a charm on Fedora 15 and has had no problems whatsoever, but on version 16, I get two lines of dark square-like symbols on a black screen.

The Veriton fails with the message similar to the original poster.
    Crap like this is why I moved on to Scientific Linux. It's still Red Hat based, but it actually works.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Axel, I will check that one out. Having a sound, stable product is my goal. I knew about CentOS and it was the next on y list to test out, but I'll give Scientific Linuxan, erm... SPIN first...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by axel2078
    I just downloaded the Fedora 16 64-bit iso a couple hours ago and burned it to disc. I'm trying to boot off the disc on my Dell XPS laptop. However, it fails to boot (just like Fedora 15 did), but with a different error message. The error message I got seemed to suggest it couldn't find the root partition on the disc. This is what it said:

dracut Warning: No root device "live:/dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-16-x86_64-Live-Desktop.is" is found

Dropping to debug shell.

sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    dracut:/#

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a way around it?
    has anyone found any solution?
    I am experiencing the same problem while booting Fedora 16 64-bit from usb stick.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...42&postcount=3

I suspect this will work. I ran into this problem with Fedora 15 as well (and now 16 too).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: can't boot Fedora 16 live cd

Quote Originally Posted by kylerconway
    http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/sho...42&postcount=3

I suspect this will work. I ran into this problem with Fedora 15 as well (and now 16 too).
    Yes, that worked!
    Thanks a lot kylerconway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Re: can't boot Fedora 16 live cd

Didn't work for me, I am afraid.

The post referred to advised editing the boot command according to what is found (under the dracut shell) in /dev/disk/by-label.

I am attempting to boot a Fedora 16 i686 Live DVD, so the 'root device' reported as not found was /dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-16-i686-Live-Desktop.iso.

In the dracut shell I find that 'ls /dev/disk/by-label' returns '\x2fbvoot'. \x2fboot is a link to ../../sda1. Without great hopes, I have tried substituting both '\x2fboot' and '\x2fboot.iso' as the filenames in the CDLABEL= parameter, but without success.

Does my Live disc have to be a CD rather than a DVD ?

Or is there any other help you can give me ? As background, this is the third different method I have tried to get from F15 to F16 (preupgrade failed with the /var issue, Installation DVD failed ejecting the disc and not recognising it after reinsertion . . . leaving my F15 trashed. So now trying a Live DVD, with the above results.) Any advice on a method of installing F16 that actually works, would be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast