FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    pete_1967 Guest

Finally

The last time I had a proper keyboard was sometime around mid-1990s.

Although my previous keyboard (Cherry too) was far from bad, it still was a membrane keyboard and I was never really happy with it.

So, having suffered long enough, I finally decided to get decent keyboard and today I collected my new Cherry G80-3000 from the post office.

Here it is in all its glory:

And if you fancy one for yourself, I got mine from Amazon (I paid a tenner less than price quoted now though): http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cherry-Quali.../dp/B0041KJKAG

And what a difference a decent keyboard makes!

Re: Finally

I can attest that a decent, or at least new keyboard makes a world of difference. Additionally, you don't realize how bad the old one is until you replace it. I just bought a inexpensive Logitech USB keyboard from Walmart for around $12.00. This thing is awesome! Not to mention that the insert key is now where it belongs.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator
    © ®

tox Guest

i still got the same keyboard from 6 years ago and it still works fine

It's a shame it has those Windows keys on it!

Heh, Glennzo, I've been using the Logitech keyboards on all my desktops for the past couple of years and they are great. I'm pretty sure they were a Tiger Direct sale item, got them for $8.95 each. I even bought a couple as spares.
    Registered Linux User #348347
    Have you been seduced by siduction? http://siduction.org/index.php
    Running Fedora 19/20, siduction and openSUSE 13.1 with KDE

I wish most keyboards didn't have to come with the windows logo/key. But alas, is the way it goes. Can just put a sticker over it I suppose

I want to replace my Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard with something more minimal.

Sure the LCD and extra buttons everything are flash and blingy, but the sheer size of the thing and all the extra keys I'd never use are a bit annoying. I'd also like to get something minimal like that and comfortable, although I would at least like multimedia keys (volume, next/prev, play/pause etc).
    OS': Fedora 25 - Arch Linux

JN4OldSchool is offline "Sean The Terrible" -- The forum(er) Vista® rep

Good keyboards are something that are invaluable! RupertPupkin got a whole box of IBM model M keyboards free from work! They are collectors items and are highly sought after by programmers!

The Windows keys ruin it for me. That's why when it comes to mechanical clicky keyboards, there's no replacement for The Only Keyboard That Matters, the one and only IBM Model M:

No Windows keys, just 101 keys of pure MS-free typing joy.

Mine was made in 1994 and still going strong, though mine has the blue IBM label instead of the gray one:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibmmodelm.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	22021  
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

I have one of those still in service and a spare.

Quote Originally Posted by GoinEasy9
    Heh, Glennzo, I've been using the Logitech keyboards on all my desktops for the past couple of years and they are great. I'm pretty sure they were a Tiger Direct sale item, got them for $8.95 each. I even bought a couple as spares.
    I'm partial to all the Logitech stuff. Mice, keyboards, etc. Been using them for years too.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator
    © ®

Quote Originally Posted by RupertPupkin
    The Windows keys ruin it for me. That's why when it comes to mechanical clicky keyboards, there's no replacement for The Only Keyboard That Matters, the one and only IBM Model M:

No Windows keys, just 101 keys of pure MS-free typing joy.

Mine was made in 1994 and still going strong, though mine has the blue IBM label instead of the gray one:
    I think I've thrown more than a few of those away
    Glenn
    The Bassinator
    © ®

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo
    I think I've thrown more than a few of those away
    Your loss was someone's gain.
    OS: Fedora 27 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 7GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

pete_1967 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by robvas
    It's a shame it has those Windows keys on it!
    I got one of these: http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2006/06/...inux-keyboard/ as well but it's too wide for my desk and has all extra buttons I never use. If you really want one, I can sell it to you

I prefer standard keyboards over any "multimedia" keyboard any day and twice on Sundays. I just wanted to get proper mechanical one again after so many years with membrane ones. The difference is amazing.

Those IBMs are nice keyboards but you can get as good, if not better, mechanical ones today as long as you are willing to pay.

Cherry CyMotion Linux:

[ADD]And if you really want to buy the Model M, you can buy them from http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_d...sp?PRODUCT=907 [/ADD]
    Last edited by pete_1967; 6th November 2011 at 02:45 AM.

And via Amazon.com as well.

Well, one - at least.

Used
    If it ain't broken - you're not really trying....
    Registered Linux user #227845

pete_1967 Guest

Quite few more: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...odel+M&x=0&y=0 and probably lot more available on eBay as well.
    Last edited by pete_1967; 6th November 2011 at 04:17 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast