[SOLVED] Bios partiton - primary or extended type?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bios partiton - primary or extended type?

Does the BIOS Boot partition need to be the of the primary type? I'm having difficulty getting past the custom partition setup.

EDIT:

I see now after installing Fedora 16 on a number of computers, the BIOS partition needs to be a primary type, meaning one requires free space already available for a primary partition before booting the fedora 16 live CD.

I did create a GPT partition table as an experiment and windows 7 is not compatible with this partition table as far as i can tell.
    Last edited by jonathonp; 10th October 2011 at 04:28 AM.
    PC CPU 3.60 Gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790, Motherboard Gigabyte H97M-D3H RAM: 32GB: Fedora 28 MATE x64, KDE Neon, UbuntuMate
    Asus Zenbook UX305CA: Fedora 28 Mate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bios partiton - primary or extended type?

The BIOS Boot Partition is used on GUID Partition Table (GPT) disks by GRUB 2 as part of the boot process. As a GPT partition, it's neither primary nor logical, since GPT doesn't recognize that distinction; however, some libparted-based tools classify all GPT partitions as "primary." Thus, if you know you're using a GPT disk and the partitioning tool you use asks, make it a "primary" partition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do you mean? A BIOS Boot partition is a partition with a specific GUID on a device with a GPT label. Primary and Extended partitions apply to MBR labels.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i created a bios boot partition 2mb, but still get the error "you have not created a bootloader stage 1 target device"
    PC CPU 3.60 Gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790, Motherboard Gigabyte H97M-D3H RAM: 32GB: Fedora 28 MATE x64, KDE Neon, UbuntuMate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the BIOS boot partition must be of type EF02 for it to be recognized and used.

in gparted, you can set the bios_grub option (Under manage flags) on the partition and it will set the partition type to EF02

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi dbelton. i can't see any option in gparted live to set the partition type to EF02 under the flags section. i'm using gparted live 0.9.1 ( the latest). i've downloaded fedora 16 alpha live cd to see if that will install. no luck with the beta version.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You set the flag on the partition to bios_grub, and gparted will take care of setting the type to EF02 for you. It's not shown in gparted as EF02, but bios_grub.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot at 2011-10-07 22:46:59.png 
Views:	273 
Size:	119.4 KB 
ID:	21848  
    Last edited by DBelton; 8th October 2011 at 04:50 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i don't see the option in any version of gparted i have. any other ways it can be done?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    You set the flag on the partition to bios_grub, and gparted will take care of setting the type to EF02 for you. It's not shown in gparted as EF02, but bios_grub.
    "EF02" is a type code that's specific to my GPT fdisk family of tools; it's not part of the GPT specification. GPT fdisk's EF02 corresponds to a GUID of 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649, which is the official GPT designation for a BIOS Boot Partition. As you say, GParted identifies such partitions via the "bios_grub flag."

Jonathonp,

I recommend you boot with an emergency disk and type the following command (as root):

Code:
    parted /dev/sda print
    If you've got more than one disk, repeat it for each one (/dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.). Post the results here. This will show us what you've got. It's possible you've got an MBR disk, which doesn't even use a BIOS Boot Partition, which could explain why you can't set the relevant option. (OTOH, maybe you just haven't found it, in which case knowing where it is will enable giving you more precise instructions on how to set it to the right type.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love what the GUID for the BIOS boot partition translates to in ascii.

21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 (stored on disk as "Hah!IdontneedEFI" if interpreted as ASCII
    At least someone has a sense of humor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HIi, this is my setup:

root@sysresccd /root %
    Code:
    parted /dev/sda print
    Model: ATA WDC WD10EARS-003 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      1049kB  83.9GB  83.9GB  primary   ntfs            boot
     3      83.9GB  1000GB  916GB   extended
     5      83.9GB  94.4GB  10.5GB  logical   ext4
     6      94.4GB  101GB   6291MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)
     7      101GB   185GB   83.9GB  logical   ext4
     8      185GB   211GB   26.2GB  logical   ntfs
     9      211GB   223GB   12.6GB  logical   ext4
    10      223GB   307GB   83.9GB  logical   ext4
    12      307GB   307GB   2097kB  logical
    11      307GB   1000GB  693GB   logical   ntfs
     4      1000GB  1000GB  6291kB  primary
    I noticed this on the link you posted:
    "complex boot loaders such as GRUB 2 cannot fit entirely within the confines of the MBR's 440 or 446 bytes of space and so need an ancillary storage space. On MBR disks, such boot loaders typically use the sectors immediately following the MBR for this storage. On GPT disks, no equivalent space exists, and the BIOS Boot partition is a way to officially allocate such space for use by the boot loader. BIOS Boot partitions are used primarily by GRUB 2."

"A BIOS Boot partition can be created using any of several different disk utilities:

In GParted, create a partition (an unformatted one works fine), then right-click it and select Manage Flags. Check the bios_grub flag, click Close, and apply your changes.
    In GNU Parted (parted), create a partition, then type set 1 bios_grub on, changing 1 to the number of the partition you want to mark as a BIOS Boot partition.
    In GPT fdisk (gdisk), create a partition and give it a type code of EF02."

None of my installations on any computer (5 computers in total) allow for the option bios_grub flag.

EDIT:
    I can't see how to set the EF02 flag in parted using the parted manual. The specific command for setting an unformatted partition (/dev/sda12) to EF02 would make my day easier.
    Last edited by jonathonp; 9th October 2011 at 04:25 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    "EF02" is a type code that's specific to my GPT fdisk family of tools; it's not part of the GPT specification. GPT fdisk's EF02 corresponds to a GUID of 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649, which is the official GPT designation for a BIOS Boot Partition.
    Wikipedia is often wrong. A clarification is in order. A GPT partition type GUID value of 1686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 is simply a home grown GUID. It is not standardized in the GPT disk layout specification. In fact , there are only 3 partition type GUIDs specified by Table 18 in chapter 5 of the UEFI 2.3 specification which is the official specification for GPT disk layout.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonp
    HIi, this is my setup:

root@sysresccd /root %
    Code:
    parted /dev/sda print
    Model: ATA WDC WD10EARS-003 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 1000GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos
    Your disk is an MBR disk -- that's what parted means by "Partition Table: msdos". MBR disks don't support a BIOS Boot Partition; instead, GRUB 2 uses officially unallocated sectors on the disk. Thus, you've been on a wild goose chase. I recommend you revisit your problem, as stated in your first post:

Does the BIOS Boot partition need to be the of the primary type? I'm having difficulty getting past the custom partition setup.
    Something other than a BIOS Boot Partition is causing your "difficulty getting past the custom partition setup" -- unless of course you're hung up on creating an unnecessary partition. I recommend you more clearly state why you can't get past this screen -- what are you trying to do, what sort of error message(s) are you seeing, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by fmurphy
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694
    "EF02" is a type code that's specific to my GPT fdisk family of tools; it's not part of the GPT specification. GPT fdisk's EF02 corresponds to a GUID of 21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649, which is the official GPT designation for a BIOS Boot Partition.
    Wikipedia is often wrong. A clarification is in order. A GPT partition type GUID value of 1686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649 is simply a home grown GUID. It is not standardized in the GPT disk layout specification. In fact , there are only 3 partition type GUIDs specified by Table 18 in chapter 5 of the UEFI 2.3 specification which is the official specification for GPT disk layout.
    DBelton's message could easily be read as suggesting that GPT uses two-byte partition type codes. The point of what you've quoted from me is that GPT does not use such type codes internally; those codes are unique to the GPT fdisk family of partition tools (gdisk, sgdisk, and cgdisk). AFAIK, no other tool uses them. In particular, GNU Parted, GParted, and other libparted-based tools don't use these type codes, which is why jonathonp can't find a way to set a partition to "type EF02" in parted. FWIW, I wrote GPT fdisk, and I used these two-byte codes as a convenience -- "EF02" is much easier to type and remember, and it uses much less screen real estate, than "21686148-6449-6E6F-744E-656564454649." GNU Parted provides a much smaller selection of short names as "flags," such as "bios_grub" for a BIOS Boot Partition.

Of course, none of this is relevant to jonathonp's problem, since it's now clear that he's got an MBR disk, not a GPT disk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for your detailed explanation srs5694. From what i understand so far my hard disk/s are set with the msdos partition table. The new partitioning scheme is GPT and appears to be in a transition stage.

"GPT keeps an MBR partition table on the first sector of the disk. This MBR contains a single disk-spanning partition of type 0xEE, which makes older tools think the disk is in use by an unknown OS. Some tools take advantage of this feature to create a hybrid MBR configuration, in which some partitions are accessible via both GPT and MBR definitions. Although this is non-standard, awkward, delicate, and downright dangerous, it can help make the transition from MBR to GPT easier by providing a workaround for OSes that don't understand GPT"

Do i need to i use a GPT partitioning scheme and start from scratch?? seems as though it's not needed.

Why can't i install fedora 16 beta?

i receive the error "you have not created a bootloader stage 1 target device"

Edit:
    I installed fedora 16 by deleting the hard disc MBR and started again with Fedora 16 installer:

Code:
    sgdisk -Z /dev/sda
    uppercase -Z MBR will be erased
    lowercase -z if you want to keep the MBR and erase GPT
    Last edited by jonathonp; 9th October 2011 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GPT keeps an MBR partition table on the first sector of the disk.
    Only partially correct. GPT is about logical blocks - not sectors. According to the specification, LBA 0 (the first logical block of a disk) can contain either:

- a legacy Master Boot Record (MBR)
    - or a protective MBR

A protective MBR covers blocks LBA 0 to LBA 0xFFFFFFFF.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast