Cannot get emerald to install anymore.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Today I did a general update with yum, and my emerald and emerald-theme-manager packages got replaced by compiz-gtk.
    I have removed compiz-gtk and told yum to install emerald with a yum install emerald command, but it forces me to install compiz-gtk instead.
    If compiz-gtk is installed and I ask to install emerald, yum sets up everything and outputs a “nothing to do” without any further explanations.

    I have tried cleaning everything and this bug still persists so I think it is because of some repositories change. Is anybody else experiencing this issue?

  2. #2
    leigh123linux Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    I retired emerald from the F15+ repo's as it's dead upstream.


    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=739617

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    I retired emerald from the F15+ repo's as it's dead upstream.


    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=739617
    What an horrible decision. Users should at least be asked when planning to remove such a popular package from the repositories.
    My desktop experience, just as explained in that bug report, has been totally ruined too by gtk-window-decorator.
    I had an excellent emerald theme and perfectly configured to suit my needs. Now even compiz performance seems worse. Well done.

    Now, how come it is no longer maintained upstream? Any links to confirm this? Why did that happen?
    The reply in that bug report does not give any valuable information either.

  4. #4
    leigh123linux Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alecjo
    What an horrible decision. Users should at least be asked when planning to remove such a popular package from the repositories.
    My desktop experience, just as explained in that bug report, has been totally ruined too by gtk-window-decorator.
    I had an excellent emerald theme and perfectly configured to suit my needs. Now even compiz performance seems worse. Well done.

    Now, how come it is no longer maintained upstream? Any links to confirm this? Why did that happen?
    The reply in that bug report does not give any valuable information either.
    What the hell has it to do with them? .
    I've been nursing emerald long enough, it was a drain on my resources.

    http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/b...buildID=235828

    Moan upstream instead, it's their fault.

  5. #5
    tox Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    last i saw there was a Emerald-0.8.8 but i cant remember how long ago that was made

    ---------- Post added at 03:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 PM ----------

    http://releases.compiz.org/0.8.8/

    ---------- Post added at 03:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:28 PM ----------

    AFAIK i lot of Distro's are now using the 0.9.x series

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Luton, UK
    Age
    33
    Posts
    291
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alecjo
    What an horrible decision. Users should at least be asked when planning to remove such a popular package from the repositories.
    My desktop experience, just as explained in that bug report, has been totally ruined too by gtk-window-decorator.
    I had an excellent emerald theme and perfectly configured to suit my needs. Now even compiz performance seems worse. Well done.

    Now, how come it is no longer maintained upstream? Any links to confirm this? Why did that happen?
    The reply in that bug report does not give any valuable information either.
    If Emerald was/is that popular and important to the user base, I'm sure someone else will pick it up and keep it alive. Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll just have to find something else to configure to your needs.

    Inconvenient as hell, I know, but rage won't get you anywhere - "How dare you refuse to continue volunteering the free time you have?!" doesn't get you very far

  7. #7
    leigh123linux Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    They have the same build issue in ubuntu

    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ld/+bug/831111

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    EDIT
    ******* I thought I had a smart way to do this, but had to remove the original instructions due to a bug. Here's a dumb way *******
    /EDIT

    I was disappointed to have emerald vanish on me mid-release, but completely understand. Thanks to Leigh for keeping it alive to date and I hope compiz suffers on longer than emerald has.

    For those too lazy to 'fix' the problem themselves, here's some instructions that will bring emerald back but leave you with a confused rpm/yum setup.

    * rpm -qa | grep 0.9.5.0
    * Copy the original 0.9.4 versions of anything that command returned from your install media
    * Copy emerald from your install media
    * rpm -e --nodeps <whatever that grep returned>
    * rpm -ivh <whatever you copied from the install media>

    If those instructions are too brief, I'd recommend switching to Ubuntu :P

    You are now going to have trouble every time you run 'yum upgrade'. I'd recommend running it as 'yum upgrade -x compiz\* -x ccsm -x libcompizconfig' to avoid taking any future compiz releases as they will uninstall emerald too.

    Also... make mental preparations for the day emerald is completely gone. Apparently it's not far away at all.
    Last edited by MellowFellow; 21st September 2011 at 03:29 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by MellowFellow
    EDIT
    ******* I thought I had a smart way to do this, but had to remove the original instructions due to a bug. Here's a dumb way *******
    /EDIT

    I was disappointed to have emerald vanish on me mid-release, but completely understand. Thanks to Leigh for keeping it alive to date and I hope compiz suffers on longer than emerald has.

    For those too lazy to 'fix' the problem themselves, here's some instructions that will bring emerald back but leave you with a confused rpm/yum setup.

    * rpm -qa | grep 0.9.5.0
    * Copy the original 0.9.4 versions of anything that command returned from your install media
    * Copy emerald from your install media
    * rpm -e --nodeps <whatever that grep returned>
    * rpm -ivh <whatever you copied from the install media>

    If those instructions are too brief, I'd recommend switching to Ubuntu :P

    You are now going to have trouble every time you run 'yum upgrade'. I'd recommend running it as 'yum upgrade -x compiz\* -x ccsm -x libcompizconfig' to avoid taking any future compiz releases as they will uninstall emerald too.

    Also... make mental preparations for the day emerald is completely gone. Apparently it's not far away at all.

    Thanks Mellow, this worked for me.

    It's a shame that emerald upstream is not being developed anymore, I too really loved it.. it completed my desktop experience.

    I just installed F15 X86_64 on a new thinkpad T420s and did a round of updates and emerald is missing, obsoleted.. broke my heart - here's to hoping someone else picks it up.

    Here is what I did to get it working again (Mellows Instructions)

    1) Download the old RPMs from a mirror

    wget http://mirrors.reflected.net/fedora/linux/releases/15/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/{compiz-0.9.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm,compiz-gtk-0.9.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm,ccsm-0.9.4-1.fc15.noarch.rpm,compiz-plugins-main-0.9.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm,compizconfig-python-0.9.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm,libcompizconfig-0.9.4-1.fc15.x86_64.rpm,emerald-0.8.5-0.4.git90c9604441.fc15.x86_64.rpm,emerald-themes-0.5.2-6.fc15.noarch.rpm }

    2) Remove the old RPMs

    rpm -qa | grep 0.9.5.0 | xargs rpm -ev --nodeps

    3) Install the old RPMs

    rpm -ivh *.rpm

    4) Add them to my yum.conf blacklist

    echo "exclude=ccsm* compiz* compizconfig-python* compiz-gtk* compiz-plugins-main* libcompizconfig*" >> /etc/yum.conf
    Last edited by sadsfae; 1st October 2011 at 08:48 PM.
    Linux User #208453
    Have a squat at https://hobo.house

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Why removed? He felt so cool emerald, compiz-gtk many bugs, it's not a very stable, and stay forever using an older version of compiz is sure to leave all installable PC has any chance of it back? 'm fedora user since version 5, is only now had a disappointment with the distro

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    89
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Is there a way to do this with yum?
    yum downgrade on compiz, but how to get the emerald?

  12. #12
    leigh123linux Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    The srpm attached will compile and work with compiz-0.9.5.0
    Attached Files Attached Files

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    75
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Is emerald retired completely ?

  14. #14
    leigh123linux Guest

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheIceMan
    Is emerald retired completely ?

    Yes (I believe the Ubuntu emerald packager has done the same),

    https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/name/emerald

    Upstream support stopped years ago, abrt was emeralds final nail in it's coffin.

    https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/acls/bugs/emerald

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Re: Cannot get emerald to install anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux
    The srpm attached will compile and work with compiz-0.9.5.0
    Thank you for packaging this. Hopefully there will be something else to come along and provide the same functionality.
    Linux User #208453
    Have a squat at https://hobo.house

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. install emerald theme manager fedora 10
    By timbo23 in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th November 2008, 11:55 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23rd October 2008, 09:51 PM
  3. Emerald
    By developer_dave in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23rd March 2008, 12:25 AM
  4. Help with emerald
    By _x_MaD_x_ in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 17th December 2007, 01:31 PM
  5. cant install anymore :(
    By ste8701 in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th November 2007, 10:12 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •