FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

sudo NOPASSWD to .bashrc alias?

I've set up an alias in .bashrc (let's call it alias1), and am trying to set up a sudo NOPASSWD rule for that particular command. Is there a way to do this?

So far, I've attempted:

user ALL = NOPASSWD: alias1
    user ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: alias1

But keep getting told I have a syntax error - presumably this is because visudo doesn't recognise alias1?

I've already checked that alias1 works correctly, so I assume I'm just referring to it incorrectly. Any suggestions?

Re: sudo NOPASSWD to .bashrc alias?

You can't do that.

A bash alias only exists within the memory of the bash interpreter. Sudo is not bash.

And even if you could, you shouldn't - nothing would prevent the user from changing the value of the alias to something else, and then running that something else at elevated privilege.

Right - question answered! I'll mark this as solved - thank you~

instead you can specify the command with fixed options to restrict usage of that command

servlet and jsp event handling
    Last edited by Redagadir; 21st December 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redagadir
    instead you can specify the command with fixed options to restrict usage of that command
    Out of curiosity, how would I do that?

To put more context to the issue, I found out why the password was necessary for the command in the first place. This is the line from my .bashrc file:
    Code:
    alias wiiclem='wminput -r -c /home/neko/wiimoteconfigs/wminput-clementine.config'
    The problem was that wminput needs to use /dev/uinput, which has restricted access by default. I could change the permissions on it, which removed the need to enter a password, but as I later found out, this was only a temporary fix because everything in /dev regenerates on boot, meaning I had to change the permissions again. By adding this to /etc/rc.local:
    Code:
    chgrp (group) /dev/uinput
    chmod 660 /dev/uinput
    I assigned uinput to my group on startup and gave my group read/write access, thus removing the need to enter a password when running wiiclem

If the fixed options path is likely to be easier/more elegant/more secure/more 'correct', though, I'd be happy to hear it for future reference!

Not necessarily.

The problem isn't "easier/more elegant" but secure.

Remember that you are giving the program elevated privileges, and if it can be coerced into doing something malicious then it isn't a good idea.

Changing the ownership/modes of /dev/uinput at boot time would be better IF it does not have anything too special about it (like /dev/random).

I don't think /dev/uinput has been completely configured into the system yet or something like that would have been done by now. You can report it as a bug/enhancement, and report a workaround such as putting the command "chmod +r /dev/uinput" (or maybe +rw if it needs initialization written to it) in the file /etc/rc.local. This will have the chmod run after everything else, and make the /dev/uinput device available for everyone.

That really is one of those glaringly obvious alternatives, isn't it? Thank you!