FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41
  1. #1
    loop Guest

    ATI driver + FC3 xorg, a hint...

    Hello,

    In order to get Your ATI accelerated I recommend to:
    rpm -Uvh --allfiles --oldpackage --replacefiles --replacepkgs --repackage <Xorg.6.7>.rpm
    or simply
    rpm -Uvh --allfiles --force --repackage <Xorg.6.7>.rpm

    where <Xorg.6.7>.rpm are all Xorg.6.7 from FC2 (updates).

    The only thing I have resigned from was openmotif-devel-2.2.3-6.i386 (and of course xorg-x11-deprecated-libs-devel-6.8.1-12.i386)

    Instalation/compilation of (fglrx-4.3.0-3.14.6.i386.rpm) the module goes smooth... acceleration ok. (My openGL stuff compiles and runs very well).

    Until ATI will produce a new driver its fine... (Your Xorg.6.8 packages (--repackage switch) You'll most probably find (depends on Your custom rpm config) in default dir: /var/spool/repackage

    I hope this will help, someone...

    My best,
    loop

    PS Personaly I think moving to 6.8 was made to early...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    46
    Do my eyes fool me? No one ever got it to work (Radeon + Xorg 6.8), but you did?

  3. #3
    loop Guest
    I have installed FC3 just today...
    Compiled the Ati module... but...
    It (the Xsrv) was working until any proc would call any of dri calls/checks (even the fglrxinfo would crash the X).
    A workaround was to disable dri in the xorg.conf but You pay the price of no direct when oGL-ing...
    As I need oGL accelerated I've step back with the Xorg to 6.7.
    So now it's rather FC3 +X6.7 +ATIdri(on Radeon 9700Mobility).

  4. #4
    b!n42y Guest
    well good work it seems however as though u have just joined - 5 posts ?
    if any1 manages to do this with success id be happy to hear from them.
    i was thinking about getting rid of xorg 6.8 but had no idea how to, so i went back to fc2.
    good work (me newb)

  5. #5
    lupu Guest
    After searching through multiple forums and finding it "not possible" to have fglrx working(fully) in xorg 6.8 I took some time to see why it worked in Gentoo.
    Every time I'd log in my X session would close(and restart due to runlevel 5), and /var/log/messages would print error messages:
    Nov 11 18:09:37 duality kernel: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
    Seems like the finger pointing goes to xorg 6.8 in combination with xscreensaver. After disabling xscreensaver from my kde autostart everything works just fine. No magic involved here
    My version of fglrx is 3.14.6, and yes, this is FC3.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by lupu
    After searching through multiple forums and finding it "not possible" to have fglrx working(fully) in xorg 6.8 I took some time to see why it worked in Gentoo.
    Every time I'd log in my X session would close(and restart due to runlevel 5), and /var/log/messages would print error messages:
    Nov 11 18:09:37 duality kernel: allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size.
    Seems like the finger pointing goes to xorg 6.8 in combination with xscreensaver. After disabling xscreensaver from my kde autostart everything works just fine. No magic involved here
    My version of fglrx is 3.14.6, and yes, this is FC3.
    Could you please make a work-around and put it in How-To? Thanks

  7. #7
    b!n42y Guest
    i dont think u can have xorg 6.8 ati drivers and direct rendering enabled for it to all work smoothly, the best suggestion ive seen so far apart from staying with fc2 and waiting for ati's new drivers late nov early dec is to do what loop suggested.
    However i could be wrong.

  8. #8
    lupu Guest
    I realize now that my post was in the wrong secion, so I removed it from here.
    The initial message was about 3d acceleration, and my post was(mainly) in the interest of getting dualhead working.
    Sorry if I got your hopes up
    Last edited by lupu; 12th November 2004 at 05:48 PM. Reason: forgot an essential word

  9. #9
    loop Guest
    i was just wanted to ask if U ever saw this message...

    No matching visual for __GLcontextMode with visual class = -1 (-1), nplanes = 0

    i guess not..
    that would be a good news, though... if everything went so nice... too bad...
    my best,
    m.

  10. #10
    telmo Guest
    I'm such a noob!!! Can you please do a how_to for us noobs??? PLEASE !!!

    I'm trying to get my ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 to work with open gl since Fedora Core 3 was released...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by zAo
    Do my eyes fool me? No one ever got it to work (Radeon + Xorg 6.8), but you did?
    I actually didn't understand what you guys say.
    I have radeon+xorg 6.8 and my FC3 fresh install has perfect 3D accelleration
    ?
    oget, the "Pulse against"

    Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...

  12. #12
    Theradoor Guest
    Im waiting for the never drivers

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by ogetbilo
    I actually didn't understand what you guys say.
    I have radeon+xorg 6.8 and my FC3 fresh install has perfect 3D accelleration
    ?

    I'm curious. Run GLXGEARS and tell us your FPS.
    IBM T61 6457-4XU - Fedora Core 9
    Registered Linux User #372440

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    PA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    466
    Quote Originally Posted by jcridge
    I'm curious. Run GLXGEARS and tell us your FPS.
    it is around 240-260.
    it was 220 fps when I used Fc2 with external drivers.
    without 3d acceleration it was about 40-60.
    oget, the "Pulse against"

    Thnigs that rule: Angelina, TKT, Linux, Supergravity, Alcohol...

  15. #15
    nandowong Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ogetbilo
    it is around 240-260.
    it was 220 fps when I used Fc2 with external drivers.
    without 3d acceleration it was about 40-60.

    same here, in fedora 2 my glxgears ranged from 60 to 200 fps but it made my processor usage step up to 1.79 and 100% usage on my lapton (radeon mobility u1). In fc3 it now shows 197-220 while my cpu frequency stays at 530mhz and about zero % usage. Tux racer works great too. Any good 3d games I can try? counter strike?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FC5 ATI driver - Xorg 7.0
    By Geoffrey in forum Hardware & Laptops
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 20th July 2006, 12:41 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th December 2004, 02:57 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •