[SOLVED] Putting /boot inside LVM with grub2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Putting /boot inside LVM with grub2

Hello everyone,

I have just converted from using Arch Linux for the last year to using Fedora 14. So far I have been having a blast but I really enjoy the idea of putting /boot inside an LVM container and that is how I had my Arch system built. So I wanted to do a learning experience and did a standard install on my 60GB SSD. Which ended up with a 500MB /boot outside LVM, a ~30GB / and ~30GB /home inside LVM. Now I really like spreading things out onto different LV's that I can resize but for now I am focusing on getting /boot and grub2 working. So after the install I did a complete backup with Clonezilla to a spare drive and set to work. I shrunk /home's LV to 10GB to give me plenty of space to work with and created boot_lv inside LVM at 128MB.

So here is my first question:
    After 2 hours trolling through the forums, documentation and blogs I believe that the ideal size for any /boot is 512MB due to during pre-upgrades Fedora loads a bunch of data to /boot. Would I be correct in both assuming this size and the reasoning behind this?

After creating this LV I did another Clonezilla clone of the drive and got back into the Fedora install. From their I moved over all the data in /boot to my boot_lv mounted on /mnt/newboot and unmounted /boot. Then mounted /boot_lv in its place and installed grub2 and gettext ( <--- I think? It needed something like this) and did a grub2-install, grub2-mkconfig and grub2-setup all with commands I do not remember nor documented due to how many changes I have made and times I had to re-image the box from messup's and failures. So in the end can anyone point me in the direction of a nice guide on putting Fedora 14 completely in LVM which seems not to exist in Google and Fedora Forums ( to my knowledge.) Even a set of commands for taking a fresh install and doing this would be of great help.

EDIT: Today I managed to get Debian 6 to have /boot moved into LVM no problem. I documented it very well and plan to implement it on Fedora which I do greatly hope it works.

EDIT 2: SUCCESS!!! Took me all weekend to get it working in Fedora but it bloody works! My notes are not the best so I am imaging it right now and am going through step by step again tomorrow and documenting it all on my laptop and writing a tutorial for the Guides section of this forum. It's kinda funny that the only thing holding me back was something rather stupid. I hope once I write this tutorial I can save someone from the headache I went through. Cheers!
    Last edited by Scipio; 30th May 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Putting /boot inside LVM with grub2

Hey Scipio,

Would love to see your notes, regardless of how good they are

ATM i have 2 drives RAID-1'd together, with LVM (using all space), and the Fedora 15 installer won't let me add /boot to LVM.

The plan was to install /boot on 3rd drive (just to shut Fedora up), then move it to the LVM after install.

Cheers if you can help!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Putting /boot inside LVM with grub2

All my notes are here in the tutorial I wrote yesterday. Still need to spell check it. Cheers!
    "While one may lose much because of avarice, nothing was ever accomplished by abstinence" -- Horo, the wise wolf