Laptop recommendation, 2 choices
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Laptop recommendation, 2 choices

Hello,

I need your help. I want to buy another laptop. I want to use FC on it.
    I need bluray because I want to save data on bluray disks of 25 gb (better than dvds, more space).

I have one option, a fujitsu that has bluray writer, big display (I have another one, other model, same size and it's working fine with Fc14, only some small issues).

Second option is a Dell (I had an older dell inspiron before, which worked fine with FC), more expensive, lacking a writer, but it can read bluray. If I take this, I would have to also buy an external bluray writer. Has nice specs, but I am really worried about the graphic card, whether I can make it work with Fc14. I saw some people having problems with linux and this graphic card, while searching on google.

Here's specs for both (sorry for the language from website, but I found in English other specs than these, I guess the specs can be read easily):

Dell XPS L702x and FUJITSU Lifebook NH570

Anyone has any advice, recommendations, I am inclining more towards the Fujitsu, but haven't decided yet.
    Thanks in advance.
    Fujitsu Amilo Li 3910 and Mivvy L310 running FC14

Re: Laptop recommendation, 2 choices

i'd go for the dell.. If you order it through the dell website, you should be able to customize it and add a blu ray writer.

Quote Originally Posted by zokstar
    i'd go for the dell.. If you order it through the dell website, you should be able to customize it and add a blu ray writer.
    Thanks I like the config more for the dell and I thought of adding a bluray writer too, but unfortunately I can't find it on dell.cz. If I buy from another country then I don't know if the warranty would still be valid for the normal 2 years.

LE: and also I don't know whether I would manage to make it work on FC, I am thinking mostly of the graphic card
    Last edited by Lx_rules; 18th May 2011 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lx_rules
    If I buy from another country then I don't know if the warranty would still be valid for the normal 2 years.
    I would have though it would be if you buy from another EU country.
    Having said that, its not on the UK site.

Quote Originally Posted by trigpoint
    I would have though it would be if you buy from another EU country.
    Having said that, its not on the UK site.
    Thanks.
    I am not sure, maybe the warranty is valid for 2 years, in EU. I checked in 3 more countries on their website and can't find it.

And here's the dissenting opinion. I am also in the market for a new laptop, and due to their failure rates, lacking customer service, and generally reduced quality, Dells are not on my final selection list. They (Dell) used to make a nice laptop, but things change. Now I will not consider one.

I am currently looking at three brands. Toshiba, Samsung and Sony. Although the arrogant cocky attitude of sales and support staff -- and an unsupportable price tag -- are about to remove Sony from the final list as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    And here's the dissenting opinion. I am also in the market for a new laptop, and due to their failure rates, lacking customer service, and generally reduced quality, Dells are not on my final selection list. They (Dell) used to make a nice laptop, but things change. Now I will not consider one.

I am currently looking at three brands. Toshiba, Samsung and Sony. Although the arrogant cocky attitude of sales and support staff -- and an unsupportable price tag -- are about to remove Sony from the final list as well.
    Thanks for the advice. Then the fujitsu will be the one it's anyway a better config than my actual one, what I wanted and I will have a bluray writer