Lenovo S205 won't boot any Live USB Fedora distro
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Lenovo S205 won't boot any Live USB Fedora distro

I've been a long-time Fedora user (since it was called Red Hat 6), and I just got the new Lenovo S205 laptop (AMD E-350 CPU, Win7). The BIOS doesn't seem to want to boot from my external CD-R (maybe underpowered USB ports?), but does seem able to boot from USB.

The problem is that the only distro that will actually boot properly is Ubuntu 11.04 live (bootable USB made with unetbootin-win-549). No combination of Fedora distro (14 live, 14 live x86-64, 15 Beta live x86-64, 15 Beta x86-64 install, all sha256 checksummed) will boot with any live-USB creator (tried manually from within my F14 desktop, tried from "Fedora Live USB Creator", tried from windows using UNetBootIn, "Fedora LiveUSB Creator", "LinuxLive USB Creator"). I've formatted and reformatted the 8GB stick (FAT32 seems to be the preferred format), and nothing seems to get very far beyond showing the script "f" logo and then throwing some error message that Google has never heard of.

Latest attempt: Fedora LiveUSB creator on Windows, run as Administrator, using Fedora 15 Beta i686 live. After about a minute of booting:

Code:
    Dropping to debug shell.
    sh: can't access tty: job control turned off
    dracut:/#
    dmesg shows the last error as:
    Code:
    dracut Warning: No root device "live:/dev/disk/by-label/Fedora-15-Beta-i686-Live-Desktop" found
    The only thing like this turned up in bugzilla.redhat.com, and the problem was solved by trying the DVD install media (which I've tried, but not the F14 version).

EDIT:
    I've looked at the Dracut documentation, and followed some of the advice, but many commands (such as "parted") are not available, and I don't seem to have any way to save the output for a bug report.
    Last edited by technolope; 13th May 2011 at 01:00 AM.

[SOLVED?] Lenovo S205 won't boot any Live USB Fedora distro

I'll be a monkey's uncle. I made a Fedora 14 x86_64 install DVD on USB using instructions here, and it boots. Note that the exact same instructions failed with the Fedora 15 Beta DVD. I guess I'll do a fresh F14 install, then upgrade to F15 in a few weeks.

Re: Lenovo S205 won't boot any Live USB Fedora distro

I was having this same exact problem on a Lenovo x120e Thinkpad, Fedora liveUSB created with unetbootin. Solved it by:

1. Find your USB disk label. When in the debug shell, run
    Code:
    ls /dev/disk/by-label/
    UDISK
    My label was UDISK. The fedora installer by default expects the label to be Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-Desktop (or similar)
    2. Reboot and edit the GRUB boot command.
    Code:
    hit ENTER to view GRUB menu.
    hit 'e' to edit commands before booting.
    hit 'e' to edit top entry.
    change LABEL=Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-Desktop to LABEL=<yourUSBlabel>
    (also remove 'quiet rhgb' for verbosity)
    hit ENTER to accept and 'b' to boot.
    that should do it.
    Last edited by nk1eto; 28th May 2011 at 03:23 PM.

Lightbulb Re: Lenovo S205 won't boot any Live USB Fedora distro

@technolope I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are not able to boot from a USB CD/DVD Rom drive? However, you are able to boot from a USB Pen Drive? Also, did you create your Lenovo Recovery CD/DVDs?

If you are not able to boot from an external USB CD/DVD Rom drive you aren't alone. I also have a Lenovo S205 and just updated to the newest bios as of 6/27/11. This didn't fix the problem.

This is what I've done:

1) I set up the Bios boot order to seek the USB CD/DVD Rom first.

2) I then save my settings and power off the machine.
    3) Plug in the USB CD/DVD Rom drive.

4) Turn on the machine. It will either get stuck on the Lenovo Bios loading screen or after hitting F12 it will get stuck on the boot screen. If you leave the machine alone for 5 minutes it will just boot to the internal HDD.
    Here is the solution and what worked for me:

At step 4 you need to turn on the machine and rapidly hit the F12 button.

5) The Lenovo boot screen will say "Please stand by" or something to that effect. Now the machine get's stuck again!

6) Unplug the USB CD/DVD Rom drive and the machine will proceed to the boot order menu! It will list the USB CD/DVD Rom drive you just unplugged.

7) Plug the USB CD/DVD Rom drive back into the machine, then seclect that drive from the list, and hit enter. If you have a bootable CD/DVD disk it will boot!!!!!

Please let me know if you get the same results doing this procedure. I hope they work for you!

Clearly the Lenovo S205 bios has a bug in it. Lenovo needs to fix this asap!

Quote Originally Posted by nk1eto
    I was having this same exact problem on a Lenovo x120e Thinkpad, Fedora liveUSB created with unetbootin. Solved it by...
    Thanks for sharing your fix. I suspect that may have worked for my situation as well. As it happened, I just installed F14 and upgraded to F15 in June. I'm still using Fallback mode (to "VESA:WRESTLER"), but other than that, the system seems to work fine.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kr00l
    @technolope I want to make sure I understand you correctly. You are not able to boot from a USB CD/DVD Rom drive? However, you are able to boot from a USB Pen Drive? Also, did you create your Lenovo Recovery CD/DVDs?
    Yes, that is the problem that I had. I didn't bother with the recovery CDs, as I don't intend to ever go back to Windows. (That's what they're for, right?)

Quote Originally Posted by kr00l
    6) Unplug the USB CD/DVD Rom drive and the machine will proceed to the boot order menu! It will list the USB CD/DVD Rom drive you just unplugged.

7) Plug the USB CD/DVD Rom drive back into the machine, then seclect that drive from the list, and hit enter. If you have a bootable CD/DVD disk it will boot!!!!!
    That is an incredibly creative way to solve the problem. Thanks for posting it!

Fortunately, I was able to install F14 from USB, then live upgrade to F15 in June. I'll agree that the machine is quite new, and is not perfectly-supported yet. I am a little ticked that AMD doesn't even have video drivers for the E-350 GPU yet (11.6 doesn't technically support it!).

Quote Originally Posted by nk1eto
    I was having this same exact problem on a Lenovo x120e Thinkpad, Fedora liveUSB created with unetbootin. Solved it by:

1. Find your USB disk label. When in the debug shell, run
    Code:
    ls /dev/disk/by-label/
    UDISK
    My label was UDISK. The fedora installer by default expects the label to be Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-Desktop (or similar)
    2. Reboot and edit the GRUB boot command.
    Code:
    hit ENTER to view GRUB menu.
    hit 'e' to edit commands before booting.
    hit 'e' to edit top entry.
    change LABEL=Fedora-15-x86_64-Live-Desktop to LABEL=<yourUSBlabel>
    (also remove 'quiet rhgb' for verbosity)
    hit ENTER to accept and 'b' to boot.
    that should do it.
    I had the same problem on thinkpad x120e. This fixed it! Thank you!

Could you share with me what is the reason for this and why this fixes it?

If you have a newish laptop you probably need Fedora 15. Fedora 14 would not boot on my new X220, but Fedora 15 works.
    Fedora 19 Gnome on a ThinkPad X220, i5-2540M CPU, Intel HD Graphics 3000, Intel N 6205 wireless, and Sierra Wireless 754S Mobile Hotspot (AT&T)

Though this doesn't pertain to booting from a USB device, I did have the same error output after reinstalling my main Linux distro's GRUB menu, when I decided I didn't want Fedora's GRUB menu. For some reason, my other distro did not get the correct UUID for Fedora 15. In my main distro, I
    sudo cat /media/disk<mounted Fedora root menu>/boot/grub/grub.conf
    to see what the correct UUID was. Copied and pasted it in my other distro's GRUB menu utility. That worked.
    Regards, -w_w

I resolved this (with a HP EliteBook) by taking the Live CD ISO and using Unetbootin to make a live USB. It worked first time from the USB stick.
    http://drupaler.drupalgardens.com

For any followers out there, this machine (the Lenovo S205) was running Fedora 15 for a while, but still was unable to suspend or resume (it would just blank the screen and spin the fan and heat up).

I decided to use preupgrade to get to Fedora 16, to bring it up to date with my other desktops. *Preupgrade sucks* I've never had it work correctly, even on desktops. Needless to say, it failed on the S205, and I was stuck with a machine that wouldn't even boot. It has been noted that the S205 does not play well with Fedora 16---this is true. *Don't buy a Lenovo S205 if you want to use Linux.*

Preupgrade pretty much blew away any hope I had of rebooting into Fedora 15. So I had to re-load the entire OS. To even get it to boot off the live usb stick, I had to do the following to the boot command:

replace "LABEL=Fedora...iso" with "LABEL=LIVE"

add "radeon.modeset=0 updates=http://dlehman.fedorapeople.org/updates-735733.0.img nogpt"

Then I could finally boot and reload the OS. Still, though, the installer forces me to create a /boot/efi partition with GPT, which I fear will break things.

I hope this information helps someone in the future.

I tried F15 -> F16 via PreUpgrade on a S205, too.
    The problem is that this BIOS can't deal with GRUB2. I tried to reinstall grub legacy but only got Error 18.
    Then I installed F15 again, upgraded it via yum so GRUB legacy wasn't replaced by GRUB2. Now it works well.