F15 Catalyst driver guide
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    leigh123linux Guest

F15 Catalyst driver guide

Howto for F15

Click this link to make sure your card is supported by this driver ( All ATI cards below the HD series are unsupported )

0. Clean: IF you previously installed this driver using the binary package provided by AMD-ATI, you must un-install it, then repair Mesa:
    Code:
    su
    yum reinstall mesa-libGL

1. Update kernel

Code:
    su
    yum update kernel
    reboot to the new kernel

2. Install driver

install the F15 rpmfusion driver

Using akmod: This is the best option in my opinion as you don't get any problems when a new kernel is released.

Code:
    su
    rpm -Uvh  http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm   http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
    yum install akmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst  xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686
    Or using kmod (which saves a bit of disk space but will have problems with every kernel update.)

Code:
    su -
    rpm -Uvh  http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.norpm   http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
    yum install kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686
    For PAE kernels

Code:
    su -
    rpm -Uvh  http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm   http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-rawhide.noarch.rpm
    yum install kmod-catalyst-PAE xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs.i686  xorg-x11-drv-catalyst
    Or (akmod builds the required kmod on bootup )

3. Reboot

I get loads of screen corruption with gnome-shell to the degree which makes it more unusable than it already is.
    Compiz works great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F15 Catalyst driver guide

Anyone had any success with the display switching?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah,I had installed successful,but screen Wave flicker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got this after the install on Fedora 64 bits, and never starts

...Sorry about my english :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can anyone please help? Fedora 15, Gnome3. After installing ATI proprietary drivers I see issues like top panel invisible, rainbow effects etc. How can it be solved? Or should I just wait for the next driver version?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by northernlights; 9th May 2011 at 01:22 PM.

leigh123linux Guest

Quote Originally Posted by northernlights
    Can anyone please help? Fedora 15, Gnome3. After installing ATI proprietary drivers I see issues like top panel invisible, rainbow effects etc. How can it be solved? Or should I just wait for the next driver version?
    Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

I encountered the same issue when upgrading with preupgrade. Fresh F15 beta install fixed it.

Snap.

Quote Originally Posted by leigh123linux post #1
    I get loads of screen corruption with gnome-shell to the degree which makes it more unusable than it already is.
    Compiz works great

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Metalizer
    I got this after the install on Fedora 64 bits, and never starts

[...]
    when I used the akmod-catalyst, it didn't boot for me into graphical mode either.

You could try the kmod-catalyst driver instead. It should work with kernel version 2.6.38.3-18.fc15.x86_64. To boot into linux console mode you can add 3 to the kernel boot line in the grub menu. Then deinstall akmod-catalyst and install kmod-catalyst instead. But it will only work with kernel version 2.6.38.3-18.fc15.x86_64. In other 2.6.38 kernels it will probably boot, but not with prober 3D acceleration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrin
    when I used the akmod-catalyst, it didn't boot for me into graphical mode either.

You could try the kmod-catalyst driver instead. It should work with kernel version 2.6.38.3-18.fc15.x86_64. To boot into linux console mode you can add 3 to the kernel boot line in the grub menu. Then deinstall akmod-catalyst and install kmod-catalyst instead. But it will only work with kernel version 2.6.38.3-18.fc15.x86_64. In other 2.6.38 kernels it will probably boot, but not with prober 3D acceleration.
    Well, i removed the akmod and install the proprietary driver, but after this, i have the problem below, and i need to boot in Fallback mode

Quote Originally Posted by northernlights
    Thanks.
    Same here
    ...Sorry about my english :p

leigh123linux Guest

Can everyone stop bitching about the screen corruption with Gnome3 as it isn't the end of the world.
    Just use another DE like KDE, LXDE or XFCE and your will find it goes away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently just install the driver from AMD's website and reinstall after kernel updates etc. If/when I upgrade to F15 can I still just install the drivers like usual?

I have 3 monitors on 2 different cards, does anyone know how this will work in GNOME 3?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Nordic

Catalyst drivers do not work without graphical corruptions if Catalyst Shell is used. So you would have to use another desktop or Gnome 3 fallback mode.
    I really don't know if default Radeon drivers handles more than 2 screens or more than 1 card. The proprietary driver does.