FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    mike Guest

NVIDIA for FC3

NVIDIA Install Instructions for FC3
    Based on the Alternate Instructions for NVIDIA from fedorafaq.org
    http://www.fedorafaq.org/custom_nvidia.html

1. Get the lastest linux drivers.

2. Now print this out, or write it down, because we're going to close X, the graphical part of Linux.

3. Open a Terminal.

4. Become root:
    Code:
    su -
    5. Shut down X:
    Code:
    telinit 3
    6. Now, you will have a "Login:" prompt. Log in as root and go to the directory where you downloaded the nVidia drivers.

7. Type:
    Code:
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6629-pkg*.run
    8. Follow nVidia's instructions to set up the driver. (Read the "EDITING YOUR XF86CONFIG FILE" section.)

9. You may need to remove some conflicting files, only do this if 3d accelerated apps do not apprear to be working.
    Code:
    rpm -e --nodeps xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
    NOTE: If you update any "xorg-x11" package with up2date or yum, you will have to do the above command again.

10. Load nvidia driver
    Code:
    modprobe nvidia
    11. Set nvidia driver to load with udev.
    Code:
    cp -a /dev/nvidia* /etc/udev/devices
    Code:
    chown root.root /etc/udev/devices/nvidia*
    12. Reboot
    Last edited by mike; 9th December 2004 at 11:41 PM.

spark1 Guest
    tnx, will try it as soon as i get my fc3 online

edit: online! ;p
    Last edited by spark1; 9th November 2004 at 01:32 AM.

JLF_65 Guest
    For x86_64, you need to do
    Code:
    rpm -e --nodeps --allmatches xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL
    and for either, modprobe and telinit are in /sbin, so it should be like this
    Code:
    /sbin/modprobe nvidia
    And you don't need to reboot - you can just
    Code:
    /sbin/telinit 5
    to get back to X.

Other than that, it's all good.

Nice summary for people new to nvidia driver installation.
    Last edited by JLF_65; 9th November 2004 at 05:33 AM.

imdeemvp Guest
    I all do is follow this instructions from nvidian and I am done in less than 5 mins. http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-6111.html

spark1 Guest
    im done with it but i wanna mention, if some1 got the same problem as i did: in the "telinit 3" part, it will be kinda 'stuck' after saying about the ancaron (FC's installer). its NOT stuck, nor thinking - just click Ctrl+C. i waiting long time for it to do something, finally went to sleep. and now came back and saw its the same.
    so, dont do my mistake, tho its not big deal. greets!

by the way: "modprobe nvidia" if it worked, it means my driver is working? how do i make sure its loaded? (in gnome)

fritzonline Guest
    Thanks, Mike. This was the problem I was fearing most, as I had tremendous hassles with Fedora Core 2 and my GeForce.

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to getting home and installing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nvidia intallation on FC3

Thank you very Mike for that short help. Me too it was my brain killing problem in FC3.
    I should have looked for help before...

I must thank the fedoraforum owner for us Fedora users, to give and get help. :-)
    Your instructions guide just worked! I am now booting with the nvidia driver and now I am really happy to stop booting in rescue mode...:-)

Bretzel

mike Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spark1
    by the way: "modprobe nvidia" if it worked, it means my driver is working? how do i make sure its loaded? (in gnome)
    In a terminal windows:
    Code:
    lsmod
    And look for nvidia in the list.

mike Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by spark1
    im done with it but i wanna mention, if some1 got the same problem as i did: in the "telinit 3" part, it will be kinda 'stuck' after saying about the ancaron (FC's installer). its NOT stuck, nor thinking - just click Ctrl+C. i waiting long time for it to do something, finally went to sleep. and now came back and saw its the same.
    so, dont do my mistake, tho its not big deal. greets!
    After you telinit 3, you can hit
    Code:
    ctrl-alt-F1
    to goto a new terminal window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I can't say for sure yet Mike but I know things are better than last night. I just followed your instructions thru and ssh terminal from work and things look good. The machine came back up :-)

Last night after the standard nvidia install I just got to
    Code:
    Configuring Kernel Parameters...
    and the system would hang.

Thanks a bunch looks like the thing I was missing was the
    Code:
    modprobe nvidia
    Thanks again great Howto

sayeeth Guest
    Thanks mike, working like a charm now. Waiting eagerly for nvidia rpms.

steiale Guest

Does only work for single processor

Hello there,

unforunately this workaround does only work for single processor bootups. When I try to boot my system with smp kernel the nvidia driver does not work.

Anyone any idea why it is so? Any workarounds?

Thanks a lot!!

alex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NVIDIA installation

Hello,

Thanks for the work around, after telinit 3 I too was stuck at starting anacron or something and I've just left my PC at home waiting for it to come back to life.

However, I have a quick query....

When I su I notice that /sbin is not in my path list. The telinit command sits in that directory and so I can't actually find it without adding it to my path list or cd'ing to it.

Do you guys all run telinit without problems ? Is my installation a bit broken ? Do you just cd /sbin ?

cscheng Guest
    I installed the nvidia drivers as described in the first post, and edited the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file as noted in the ReadMe. I rebooted the system, and instead of seeing the Red Hat Graphical Bootscreen I saw a giant NVidia-logo. This screen didn't disappear and therefore I removed the rhgb in /etc/grub.conf. Anyone have this similar problem? Since I haven't configured a lot, it's no big deal to re-install FC3 and wait for the rpms, but I'm always open for other solutions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PompeyBlue
    Thanks for the work around, after telinit 3 I too was stuck at starting anacron or something and I've just left my PC at home waiting for it to come back to life.
    Perhaps you got dropped to the wrong console window; try hitting ALT-F1 through ALT-F5 to get another console. (ALT-F7 is usually the graphical console, when X is running).

Quote Originally Posted by PompeyBlue
    Do you guys all run telinit without problems ? Is my installation a bit broken ? Do you just cd /sbin ?
    If you "su -" instead of just "su", then you get root's environment set up for you. Without the minus sign, you retain your own path, which lacks /sbin and /usr/sbin.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast