Firefox double loading Youtube video and other flash issues.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Firefox double loading Youtube video and other flash issues.

Firefox seems to be double loading Youtube videos, overlaying one on top of the other, causing graphical glitches that effect other X applications as well. For example if you quit firefox with a glitched youtube tab open the last thing shown in the flash area will show up in a mrxvt window.

At first I thought it was a flash issue, but Chrome, and Opera are not affected.

There is some kind of strange flash issue though that will cause pixelt so go missing in X. That effects Firefox, Chrome and Opera but is intermittent. That one can also cause remainders of flash to show up, I"ve seen it happen in new brower tabs, mrxvt and Second Life.

Logging out of X and logging back in fixes it, till the next time it happens.

I'm running Fedora 14 64-bit, with a Nvidia GT220 video card, 32 bit flash plugin.

<EDIT>
    Well, I'll be darned, not showing in the application shots that I took with imagemagick that I attached. (just logged back out and in of X)

Ron Rogers Jr. (CronoCloud)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash_glitch_mrxvt.png 
Views:	213 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	20808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash_glitch_missing_pixels_scaled.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	219.8 KB 
ID:	20809  
    Last edited by CronoCloud; 12th March 2011 at 09:42 PM.

Re: Firefox double loading Youtube video and other flash issues.

I can confirm this. Just started working on it. Fedora 13, 64 bit with 32 bit flash plugin same issue.

i've seen the same issue on my system (Fedora 13, 32 bit) for a couple weeks. the leftover youtube (or other) video "bleeds through" any black in the windows of other applications (even vlc, which is a bit distracting when trying to watch a video...)

It's intermittent, I can't seem to track down what causes it, which is frustrating.

Same very frustrating I cannot use flash at all or I need to reboot my system. This started happening after the update that had the new kernel in it. No surprise there.

hmm... well, I'm pretty sure I was seeing this issue before the kernel update (I installed that update on Mar 08). ...however, I may be seeing an unrelated (and, thus, outside the scope of this thread) issue with the new kernel [(specifically, the rtc functionality and inherent issues reading or writing to the hwclock); I temporarily stopped the ntpd service, and will boot into the earlier kernel tonight when I get home to see if the issue is present there, as well.]

but, as far as this thread goes, I distinctly remember seeing this issue prior to the latest kernel update (kernel-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686) on my system; I don't think this issue is related to the new kernel.

It could be a program that needs to compile with headers. So it could have to do with the kernel update. I checked though so its not. Im going to reinstall flash and video drivers. Its some kind of overlay flash uses so its not going to show up in your screen shots. You should probably put your full system specs up.

Code:
    Linux mitra 2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686 #1 SMP Thu Feb 17 15:00:46 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

[root@mitra ~ ]# grep -e kernel -e flash -e firefox /var/log/yum.log
    Feb 09 18:42:11 Updated: flash-plugin-10.2.152.27-release.i386
    Mar 08 18:32:40 Installed: kernel-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686
    Mar 08 18:34:19 Updated: firefox-3.6.14-1.fc13.i686
    Mar 08 18:34:33 Updated: kernel-headers-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686
    Mar 08 18:36:02 Updated: kernel-doc-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.noarch
    Mar 08 18:37:15 Installed: kernel-devel-2.6.34.8-68.fc13.i686
    ...as I stated earlier in this thread, the problem occurred for me prior to Mar 08, so I would suspect the flash-plugin update before I'd suspect the firefox or kernel updates. What other information about my system do you need/want?

su
    yum erase flash-plugin nspluginwrapper*

then loaded up fedoraplus

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=171660

Installed flash plugin with it and done. Might have relogged, GL.

Memysabu --

...are you saying that you followed these steps and resolved the issue on your computer? ...or, are you suggesting we all try that to see if it resolves the issue? ...or, both?

Fixed the issue for me.

I had the same problem.

After some experimenting I figured out there is something wrong with the hardware acceleration in flash. When doing a right-click and choose "settings" in the menu, you are able to turn off hardware acceleration (you have to log out and in again to get rid of the "glitches" already on screen). After that the problem is solved.

Another problem pops up right away unfortunately. After every version update from flash these settings are set to "hardware acceleration" again, because that is the default setting. No problem ...... if you could use "settings" again. As it turns out - that is not the case. If you use the item "settings" in the menu you can only use it once. After that it is greyed out.... forever...

Until now I did not solved this last problem. I worked around a bit by using Opera, and after that Chrome. After using "settings" once in those browsers they are greyed out also. I sure hope there will be no flash update soon, because I am running out of browsers...

Quote Originally Posted by JClosed
    After some experimenting I figured out there is something wrong with the hardware acceleration in flash.
    Yep, just figured that out today myself. But it WAS working properly a version or two ago.

No problem ...... if you could use "settings" again. As it turns out - that is not the case. If you use the item "settings" in the menu you can only use it once. After that it is greyed out.... forever..
    I've seen that. Been tempted to switch back to the 64-bit flash, to see if the bug is in that as well, because I don't remember seeing anything like this when I used it. I switched to 32 bit flash because Second Life is 32 bit and "flash on a prim" doesn't work unless you're also using 32 bit flash.

I think i finded a work aroung the problem whit de greyed settings option. You just have to delete the .adobe directory in your home dir. Then after killing the session and loging back you can change the settings again.