Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gnome 3?

Just out of curiosity...

1. Does anyone hate the new Gnome 3?

2. Does anyone feel like Gnome 3 is calling them a child with A.D.D.?

3. Does anyone think Gnome 2 was exactly what they needed already and Gnome 3 is just experimenting and screwing around with stuff?

4. Is anyone actually going to use the new Gnome 3 when Fedora 15 is released, or is the whole community going to be split up into all the other versions of Fedora (or worse, just abandon Fedora 15 and go with another distro?)

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 AM ----------

I personally think that the Gnome 3 developers are high. They are changing things because they themselves can't focus in the condition they are in, they made things pretty and difficult to use because being high changes your view on things. It now looks pretty to them because being high apparently intensifies colours and lights, when really it is probably just ugly, but no one wants to tell them that.

I hope there is a fork of Gnome 2 and it takes off, or it looks like I will be switching to Xfce or LXDE. Maybe KDE, but I doubt it. KDE feels too much like using Netscape in windows. I hated that program.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Gnome 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunkah
    Yes.

2. Does anyone feel like Gnome 3 is calling them a child with A.D.D.?
    Yes.

3. Does anyone think Gnome 2 was exactly what they needed already and Gnome 3 is just experimenting and screwing around with stuff?
    No.

4. Is anyone actually going to use the new Gnome 3 when Fedora 15 is released, or is the whole community going to be split up into all the other versions of Fedora (or worse, just abandon Fedora 15 and go with another distro?)
    No.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From what I have seen of Gnome3 so far I will either do one of 2 things when F15 is released:

1: start using KDE and not even install Gnome
    2: switch to another distro that doesn't use Gnome

I think Gnome3 was written by Microsoft reject developers that retained the bad M$ practices while forgetting anything there is to know about developing software.

(That does make me wonder if Gnome3 was infiltrated by Micro$oft and designed to drive linux users back to Windows)
    Last edited by DBelton; 6th March 2011 at 05:20 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just out of curiosity...

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=259513

I hope there is a fork of Gnome 2 and it takes off.
    http://exde.org
    Last edited by kurtdriver; 6th March 2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Kurt Driver
    Vancouver, Canada

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Driver-1479

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here.. I rely hate the new Gnome3 desktop. And I use Gnome for 6 years now, and I think that I'll start using KDE or XFCE may be...

And the developers must listen more to the community opinions...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome.
    ----------------------------------------------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.tuxgeek.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, I don't. I find it wonderfull, though I have a system with limited resources (P4, GeForce 5200, IDE disks): how would it run on a modern system? Pretty well, I imagine. Perhaps its time to upgrade my HW. It is tricky because it has a different approach to the system: a touch screen approach.
    Effectively at first I had to train some time with the new env but after some time I feel at mine's ease. :-) Perhaps it should be improved in certain aspects: e.g. visualize more open app on the top bar.
    Last edited by lewis41; 6th March 2011 at 08:27 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Judging from responses in my blog, nope, but I do Yay to xfce (takes some time to set it up, but it can be made pretty efficient and slick).
    Fëannatar

Your freedom ends where others' starts.
    It's the same with software => promote GPL.

Registered Linux User: #431562
    My blog: Martin's Chronicles

Echo Icon Theme: homepage

Nodoka: homepage

Fedora Core future enhancements?

JID: martin.sourada AT jabber.cz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=259442

Hate it? No. Hate is an awfully strong word. I will readily admit that in its current incarnation, I am deeply displeased with it, but I can also catch faint glimmers of what it eventually could be, and that's enough to keep hope alive.

EDIT: Hey! Good to see you again, Martin!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I ask is I mostly see positive reports on news feeds about how AMAZING this looks. Yes, I agree it looks pretty, however functionality gets tossed out the window entirely! I don't feel this new way of "working" is going to work. I don't feel it is intuitive, nor is it ever revolutionary. Everyone is used to a taskbar. Most people have 300 tasks running all the time (The "normal" users that make up most of the home user base). I see this only frustrating people.

I guess I just see this ending badly for everyone involved. Since switching to Linux for 100% of my computer use (Fedora 12 release), I have converted about 10 people that now use Fedora as well. They all love it. Most of them had unrepairable Windows issues so I made each of them the same offer. I told them to try Fedora for two weeks. I wouldn't charge them for the hour it took to set up, but if they didn't like it after the two weeks I would gladly charge them to reinstall Windows. (If they wanted it). All of them were so happy with Fedora, that they started hiring me instead to train them on how to use Linux and teach them about the things they could do with it. (Better deal all around and much more rewarding).

Gnome 2 is easy for them to use. They understand it, because it is what they are used to. (Similar to the Windows XP GUI) Most of these people had to be trained on the difference between a right and left click. Overhauling the whole interface and removing familiarity is going to make the sell to Linux so insanely impossible, they will be calling me after 24 hours screaming to take this "effing" thing off. (...and it will be much more foul. Trust me!)

Gnome offered an "across-the-board" user experience. Now there is an even greater split in all the distros. None of them are going to even look similar to each other. (Thus google searches and screenshot helps are going to be harder to find).

I don't know what the future holds, but it doesn't look like Gnome 3 is thinking about anyone in the real world. Gnome 3 seems like some experiment that has no goals other than removing anything remotely familiar and adding a more difficult way of working on a pretty black screen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gnome 3 is the best thing since sliced bread. I can't wait to wipe out this awful KDE 4.6 and install it on my system. I really need to relearn how I interact with my computer. I'm really looking forward to its release.

Take that daily with a dose of sarcasm...
    Constant change is here to stay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first impression of Gnome Shell was "this is crap". After forcing myself to use it for a while and seeing it mature to what it is today, I much prefer it over the MS or default Gnome desktop. I look forward to Gnome 3.

As long as other options exist for Fedora, one can choose whatever DE they desire.
    Fedora 16 | Intel i5-2500K @ 4.0GHz | 8GB DDR3 | Nvidia GTX 560Ti-448OC
    Mint 14 Xfce | AMD Phenom II N660 | 8GB | AMD HD4270

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampKracker

As long as other options exist for Fedora, one can choose whatever DE they desire.
    Part of what annoys so many, I think, is that we will not much longer be able to choose Gnome 2x, which works quite well for most of us.

I don't hate Gnome 3, but it lacks much of the functionality of Gnome , and dictates the "proper" way to do things to people who are accustomed to deciding these things for themselves..
    Kurt Driver
    Vancouver, Canada

https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Driver-1479

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    EDIT: Hey! Good to see you again, Martin!
    Hehe, it's been a while since I last talked here But lately I was wondering how people here see Gnome 3, so I reappeared again
    Fëannatar

Your freedom ends where others' starts.
    It's the same with software => promote GPL.

Registered Linux User: #431562
    My blog: Martin's Chronicles

Echo Icon Theme: homepage

Nodoka: homepage

Fedora Core future enhancements?

JID: martin.sourada AT jabber.cz

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampKracker
    My first impression of Gnome Shell was "this is crap". After forcing myself to use it for a while and seeing it mature to what it is today, I much prefer it over the MS or default Gnome desktop. I look forward to Gnome 3.

Same as you, my first impressions were "this is crap" but unlike you, my opinion remained the same even after using it for awhile. I find Gnome3 to be harder to use for my everyday use than Gnome2 is.

Possibly after a little more refinement it will get better, as long as they don't try to drop a lot of the functionality that Gnome2 has.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Reminds me of Ubuntu.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator
    © ®

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast