Adding french keyboard
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Adding french keyboard

Hi!

I have a french laptop with french keyboard but I have installed fedora 64 with english keyboard.
    Now I would like to have both keyboards and to be able to switch between them any time I want.
    How can I add the french keyboard to my system? In windows I can switch between them and I can add language and keyboard anytime I want. I suppose is possible in fedora 64 too. Is anybody who knows something about?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Adding french keyboard

It depends of the desktop environment you use.

1- KDE.
    Menu->Settings->Sytem Settings->Hardware->Input Devices->Layouts

2-GNOME
    I'm not a gnome user, but googling gives tons of possible solutions.
    eg: http://library.gnome.org/users/user-...yboard.html.en

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2-GNOME
    ========
    System->Preferences->Keyboard, click on Layouts tab, click Add... button and select your new keyboard then click on the Options... button. Scroll down a bit and click on `Key(s) to change layout' and check the box(es) corresponding to your preferred key shortcut. Click on Close on both the Keyboard Layout Options and the Keyboard Preferences windows.
    If you installed from a live image, you may not have the program installed, I am not quite sure. If you don't have it, you can install it with
    Code:
    yum install control-center
    Asus K55VD, i5 3230M - Productivity/Programming (F28)
    Asus M32CD - i7-6700, Asus STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD, 1x8 GB Sk Hynix 2133 MHz DDR4 - Gaming (W10)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beny
    Hi!

I have a french laptop with french keyboard but I have installed fedora 64 with english keyboard. Now I would like to have both keyboards and to be able to switch between them any time I want. How can I add the french keyboard to my system? In windows I can switch between them and I can add language and keyboard anytime I want. I suppose is possible in fedora 64 too. Is anybody who knows something about?
    You installed Fedora with (some, probably default) English keyboard layout: the actual keyboard is still the same French keyboard.

Others already said how to add/change keyboard layouts, You will have to be prepared that, since your laptop has a French keyboard, when you switch to an English layout, Latin letters and several ASCII characters are going to be in locations different from a standard US PC keyboard (unless you are willing to remap lots of keycodes, and I would advise against doing that unless you are a touch typist).