FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Thumbs down Plymouth no longer showing after ATI F14

Hello im looking for help with a problem im having and just cant seem to solve. After installing proprietary ATI drivers successfully all my desktop effects etc. etc. are working brilliantly. but now my plymouth boot splash no longer shows. it only shows a progress bar that says fedora 14 beside it. Ive tried adding vga=791 at the end of the kernel line in the grub.conf but now it just locks me out of my system. ive also removed rhgb quiet and tried fresh installing my OS. still everytime this happens.

I hope i havent put this in the wrong place im new to these forums ive been looking everywhere for an answer and havent found one if this has already been solved in these forums please point me to it. its such a small...but annoying problem lol

thanks in advance

Re: Plymouth no longer showing after ATI F14

Has ATI added kernel modesetting to its driver? Without kernel modeset support you get no Plymouth. Be happy with your eye-candy once you log in.

SS

well to get the driver fully functioning i had to add nomodset to the kernel line in grub.conf otherwise the desktop effects were a bit grundgy and most wouldnt function properly. So now that i think about it, that may be the problem lol. But i've read that ATI cards are some of the best for plymouth? or at least were with F10

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

I should also mention this is an integrated ATI 4250 in a toshiba laptop

Quote Originally Posted by lroberts
    But i've read that ATI cards are some of the best for plymouth? or at least were with F10[COLOR="Silver"]
    Perhaps with the open-source radeon driver but I don't know if that is the case with the proprietary one.

SS

My understanding is that ATI's proprietary driver doesn't support KMS and thats why Plymouth doesn't work.

Really? I've read before that with kernel 2.6.35 the fglrx drivers should work with KMS. Also, isn't KMS supposed to operate before drivers are loaded? shouldn't it be using VESA or something?

KMS ***IS*** the driver.
    You can't load more than one driver for the same hardware.

If you use fglrx, you do NOT use the radion driver, and thus you do NOT get KMS.

Why are you using fglrx? This is NOT WONDOZE, you do NOT need to install blob drivers to make your hardware work!

Exclamation Re: Plymouth no longer showing after ATI F14

When using the radeon open source driver i was getting a whack of problems. Once i setup the fglrx drivers everything worked much much smoother... despite my lack of "wondoze" and my question was that i read plymouth operates before any driver (whether it be "wondoze" friendly or not) is loaded because if that is the case fglrx or open source drivers shouldn't have an effect, no?

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 PM ----------

so after removing fglrx and reinstalling it i get plymouth on shutdown but not on startup what a tease

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

soollvveeedddd

I removed plymouth and reinstalled it through kpackage

I then installed spinfinity:
    yum install plymouth-theme-spinfinity

then as root:

plymouth-set-default-theme spinfinity
    /usr/libexec/plymouth/plymouth-update-initrd

Thanks to this article

http://tuxicity.wordpress.com/2010/1...-in-fedora-14/