Unable to detect monitor.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unable to detect monitor.

I have been searching all over for a solution but I have yet to find one that works. I am a total Linux noob so that may be the problem as well.

I run Fedora 13 in Oracle VM VirtualBox. Version 3.2.8 r64453

I did not realize that you had to install Guest Additions but after much reading I finally got it done. After I was done the max size I could go to was 1024x768. Using detect monitors I still get "Unknown" as a result.

I really don't know what else to try as I am not to proficient with the OS. Any help would be great. I would like to run it at my monitors native resolution so I can have it on my other monitor. IE: Monitor 1-Vista. Monitor 2- F13

Monitor: Dell 1907FP native resolution. 1280x1024
    Video Card: Dual Radeon 4800HD

I thought it might be something with the video card but I can not get the ati drivers to load at all. I have been unsuccessful finding drivers for the monitor. Maybe I just don't know where to look yet but any help would be appreciated. Thanks

---------- Post added at 11:18 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM CDT ----------

Ok, so I got really bored and started trying it with other OS's. I installed Ubuntu and after I added the User Additions I was unable to get anything over 1024x768. Fedora is still stuck 1024x768. I also installed XP and it works like a champ.

I will keep trying.....
    Last edited by gdc2000; 9th September 2010 at 04:10 PM.

Re: Unable to detect monitor.

Run xrandr in a terminal and it will list all the display modes it thinks are possible - the current one will be indicated by *, and the preferred one by +.

man xrandr will tell you how to set a different resolution or size.

You can also look at the Xorg log in /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see what information X is getting from your monitor, and if you look at the modelines it will say why a particular mode is not being used.

A VirtualBox setting might also be affecting your max display resolution. Check its docs.

Re: Unable to detect monitor.

[noob@localhost ~]$ xrandr
    Screen 0: minimum 64 x 64, current 1280 x 931, maximum 32000 x 32000
    VBOX1 connected 1280x931+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    1280x931 60.0*+
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [noob@localhost ~]$ xrandr --output LVDS --off
    [noob@localhost ~]$ xrandr --output VGA-0 --mode 1280x1024
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After this I rebooted the VM machine and it worked.

Thanks sonoran

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 PM CDT ----------

I still am unable to get my monitor listed. It always comes back as "Generic Monitor".