[SOLVED] how to automount another linux partition
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how to automount another linux partition

On my computer for the last couple of years I have been running Ubuntu and Windows XP in a dual boot system. Due to some unsolvable problems in Ubuntu, I decided to try out Fedora. I created a third partition on my computer and into this partition I installed Fedora. Now when I boot my computer I can either run Fedora or Windows XP. Eventually, I plan to get rid of Ubuntu completely. But for now the Ubuntu partition is still on my hard disk; I can't boot up with Ubuntu anymore, and that's OK. I don't need to run Ubuntu, but I would like to be able to access the Ubuntu partition, since there are files there that I want to keep.

At least I want to be able to read and write to the files in Ubuntu. How can I automatically mount the Ubuntu partition so that I can work with its files from Fedora?

I'm pretty sure that to get the Ubuntu partition to mount, I need to enter some lines into the etc/fstab file. Does anyone know what I should enter into Fedora's etc/fstab file so that the Ubuntu partition will be mounted?

In my Ubuntu installation the partition is named DiskF, it is partitioned in the ext3 file system. In Fedora when I look at /media/DiskF, it is empty.

When I run [code] blkid in a terminal here is the output:

/dev/sda1: LABEL="DiskC" UUID="9268C81D68C801C9" TYPE='ntfs" [Windows XP]
    /dev/sda5: UUID=3a495592-75d6-41c5-9cd0-faf1067878ee" TYPE="swap" [linux swap file]
    /dev/sda6: LABEL="DiskF" UUID="6c5b6dad-4c8a-44f2-842c-111cad0e97f8" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" [Ubuntu]
    /dev/sda7: LABEL="Fedora-13-i686-L" UUID="a2308eff-9a98-4135-b6ab-7226fc670f14" TYPE="ext4" [Fedora]

What are the commands that I need to put in /etc/fstab so that when I boot my computer in Fedora DiskF will be mounted?

Thank you!

beerbelly

stevea Guest

Re: how to automount another linux partition

/dev/sda6: LABEL="DiskF" UUID="6c5b6dad-4c8a-44f2-842c-111cad0e97f8" SEC_TYPE="ext2" TYPE="ext3" [Ubuntu]
    One time do this ...

Code:
    mkdir /media/DiskF

In fstab put
    Code:
    UUID=6c5b6dad-4c8a-44f2-842c-111cad0e97f8  /media/DiskF   ext4   defaults        0 0
    Same as Ubuntu. Then reboot or do "mount -a" as root.