How to install additional packages from DVD
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

How to install additional packages from DVD

I've installed Fedora from the Live CD (Fedora 13). The Installation Guide says that if you install from the DVD (or, as I understand it, the five or so CDs) you get the choice of installing lots more software.

I've now got a copy of the CD. But how do I use it to install the extra software it contains?

The Installation Guide says use the Add/Remove Software tool. But that tries to download stuff from the Internet. Nothing about installing from the DVD.

How do I do this ?

Re: How to install additional packages from DVD

There's an option during the actual installation (something about customising packages I think it was) that allows you to choose what to install.

But since you've apparently already installed Fedora... well, you could do what I did and simply navigate to the packages folder of your installation DVD and find the appropriate package(s) for the stuff you need and simply open them (that should open up PackageKit and install it for you). Of course, unless you're willing to read through the names of a few thousand rpm files, this method's pretty useless if you don't know what you're looking for. Also, I don't know if this method would pull any dependencies off the internet - it didn't for me, but thenagain I had no internet and IDK if the packages installed even had any that weren't already there.

I don't know what the politically correct method is, though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyd

The Installation Guide says use the Add/Remove Software tool. But that tries to download stuff from the Internet. Nothing about installing from the DVD.

How do I do this ?
    I guess there are multiple ways to do that. I like to manually set up the InstallMedia repo. Once that is done, I can install only from the DVD like this, for example...
    Code:
    su
    yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedia install [package]

Thumbs up InstallMedia repo needed a little bit of tweeking

Quote Originally Posted by stoat
    I guess there are multiple ways to do that. I like to manually set up the InstallMedia repo. Once that is done, I can install only from the DVD like this, for example...
    Code:
    su
    yum --disablerepo=* --enablerepo=InstallMedia install [package]
    This REALLY helped me out but, for some reason, the repo was not automatically installed or even present in the yum.repos.d. So I copied the media.repo file from the disk to the yum.repo.d but it still wasn't working saying it "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml)...". This made me think that it wasn't able to find the packages folder on the disk. So I added the following lines to the media.repo file:
    Code:
    baseurl=file:///media/Fedora\ 13\ x86_64\ DVD
    enabled=0
    (Remember the "enabled=0" makes it so that this repo is disabled by default and will only be used when specifically invoked by the "--enablerepo=" switch.)

Then I ran the command just like stoat said. Worked right away after that.

-PlateSpinner

PS: I had to do this stuff because networking isn't working after my install. But I'm trying to install as a VMWare Workstation 7 virtual machine that's hosted on my Windows 7 laptop. So I guess it's okay that networking doesn't work OOTB.

Quote Originally Posted by PlateSpinner

for some reason, the repo was not automatically installed or even present in the yum.repos.d.
    It never is. You have to do what you did.