FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    512

    Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Goddard has pretty much been smooth sailing for me... i can really appreciate the changes they've made since F12...

    but i'm having trouble getting the Automatic Login to work using the typical method...that is

    Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf'
    and adding:

    Code:
    [daemon]
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=username
    then

    Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas'
    and changing the login delay:

    Code:
    <schema>
          <key>daemon/TimedLoginDelay</key>
          <signature>i</signature>
          <default>1</default>
    </schema>
    ...an Automatic Login option is available at the login screen but it no longer delays and then logs in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    13

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Automatic Login Fix:
    Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf'
    How should look [daemon] tag in custom.conf, ofcourse replace the second value to match your username:
    Code:
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true
    AutomaticLogin=i'mtoolazytogoogle

    If you use Wifi, you should probably want to
    Keyring Fix:
    Code:
    # yum -y install seahorse
    Run (Accessories-> Passwords and Encryption Keys) and change the default keyring password to simply nothing.
    That way it wont ask for it.

    Restart GDM
    Press Control + ALT + F2
    Login is as root.
    Code:
    init 3
    Wait a bit and press ENTER, so it looks clear for you, typing the next command.
    Code:
    init 5
    Go to the beach! It's sunny in Spain!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    512

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by tif
    Automatic Login Fix:
    Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf'
    How should look [daemon] tag in custom.conf, ofcourse replace the second value to match your username:
    Code:
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true
    AutomaticLogin=i'mtoolazytogoogle
    : ...i just put 'username' there for this example... that's not the problem here

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London Postbox (the red one)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,868

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Ignore my earlier post if you saw it, try putting it in a different order so name on top line, it should work

    AutomaticLogin=i'mtoolazytogoogle
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    29
    Posts
    13

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Another way:
    Code:
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true
    AutomaticLogin=if
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=if
    TimedLoginDelay=0
    I'm sure they are supposed to be in this order.
    You could google for "GDM autologin".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    512

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by tif
    Another way:
    Code:
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true
    AutomaticLogin=if
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=if
    TimedLoginDelay=0
    I'm sure they are supposed to be in this order.
    You could google for "GDM autologin".
    ...that's it tif...

    ...apparently the AutomaticLogin settings in /etc/gdm/gdm.schemas were left vacant in Fedora 13 (as opposed to being true by default in Fedora 12)



    so... for those of you just joining us... to create an Automatic Login in Fedora 13 simply:

    Code:
    su -c 'gedit /etc/gdm/custom.conf'
    and add:

    Code:
    [daemon]
    AutomaticLoginEnable=true
    AutomaticLogin=*username*
    TimedLoginEnable=true
    TimedLogin=*username*
    TimedLoginDelay=0

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    83

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    And what about automatic login in console mode? (init 3)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    London Postbox (the red one)
    Age
    52
    Posts
    3,868

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Queenstown Tasmania Australia
    Age
    60
    Posts
    23

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    There is one show way to set autologin gauranteed to work.

    WARNING !!There is no room for mistakes.

    If you are using KDE you can edit the second last paragraph of the etc/kde/kdmrc
    which sets the core configuration for 1st local display.

    First of all you have to log in as root user and it is best to use KWrite to edit the file.

    Now this file is very long so the easiest way is to scroll right to the bottom then scroll back
    up to the second last paragraph .

    First delete the # From the line

    AutoLoginEnable=true

    next do the same to the line
    #AutoLoginUser=fred

    but you are not done yet since your log in name may not be Fred
    so you need to change fred to your own log in name exactly as you would type it in the log in
    screen.

    DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ELSE !

    Now all you have to do is to save it and restart your computer .

    cheers oldnewb
    Last edited by oldnewb; 13th August 2010 at 10:34 AM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    83

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse
    it does not works for me (FC13)
    there was not any dir by name /etc/event.d . I've created it and created file by name tty1
    which written in it :
    [me@localhost event.d]$ cat tty1
    exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin me tty1
    [me@localhost event.d]$[COLOR="Silver"]

    ---------- Post added at 10:34 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 AM CDT ----------

    ---------- Post added at 10:36 AM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM CDT ----------

    For gnome desctop
    Code:
    [me@localhost gdm]$ cat custom.conf
    # GDM configuration storage
    
    [daemon]
    TimedLoginEnabled=true
    TimedLogin=me
    TimedLoginDelay=0
    
    [security]
    
    [xdmcp]
    
    [greeter]
    
    [chooser]
    
    [debug]
    
    [me@localhost gdm]$
    works fine

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Fedora 13 users UPSTART

    create a NEW called /etc/init/tty7.conf


    Code:
    # tty7 - getty
    #
    # This service maintains a getty on tty7 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.
    
    start on runlevel [23]
    stop on runlevel [!23]
    
    respawn
    exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin=MyUser tty7
    if you want any tty between 1-6 you have to first turn it off
    you do so by editing the /etc/system/init file... at the bottom there is a variable /dev/tty[1-6] (if you want 6 lower it to [1-5]) and so forth

    ---------- Post added at 08:15 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM CDT ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Beralus
    it does not works for me (FC13)
    there was not any dir by name /etc/event.d . I've created it and created file by name tty1
    which written in it :
    [me@localhost event.d]$ cat tty1
    exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin me tty1
    [me@localhost event.d]$[COLOR="Silver"]
    works fine
    EVENT.D will only work up to Fedora 12, Fedora 13 you need to edit the /etc/init directory

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    83

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    darkdrgn2k, a lot of thanks and gratitude. I' ll test it just tonight!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    83

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrgn2k
    if you want any tty between 1-6 you have to first turn it off
    you do so by editing the /etc/system/init file... at the bottom there is a variable /dev/tty[1-6] (if you want 6 lower it to [1-5]) and so forth

    EVENT.D will only work up to Fedora 12, Fedora 13 you need to edit the /etc/init directory
    darkdrgn2k, accept my unbounded gratitude! Lot of thanks for this post.
    now it works, the only unpleasant behaviour of autologin is that autologin occurs before
    starting a lot of servises( not all) Active tyys 're tty[2-6]. With tty7 all goes as a rule.
    And I do not know is this normal or not, but some servises (f.e sendmail) runs 2 instanses
    btw, what defines startup sequence of services? ( for examp. usually after starting service1 starts service2, how to change sequence according to this rule: start service1 after service2)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    30

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdrgn2k
    Code:
    # tty7 - getty
    #
    # This service maintains a getty on tty7 from the point the system is
    # started until it is shut down again.
    
    start on runlevel [23]
    stop on runlevel [!23]
    
    respawn
    exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin=MyUser tty7
    I have tried exactly this script for F 12, have put it in /etc/init - but it doesn't works. Is there anything else needed for it? I have a stripped down system, possibly a package is missing!?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    50

    Re: Fedora 13...Automatic Login...

    Quote Originally Posted by Beralus
    darkdrgn2k, accept my unbounded gratitude! Lot of thanks for this post.
    now it works, the only unpleasant behaviour of autologin is that autologin occurs before
    starting a lot of servises( not all) Active tyys 're tty[2-6]. With tty7 all goes as a rule.
    And I do not know is this normal or not, but some servises (f.e sendmail) runs 2 instanses
    btw, what defines startup sequence of services? ( for examp. usually after starting service1 starts service2, how to change sequence according to this rule: start service1 after service2)
    To solve this I took a slightly different approach. I edited /etc/init/start-ttys.conf to look like this:
    Code:
    #                                                                                                                                                                      
    # This service starts the configured number of gettys.                                                                                                                 
    
    start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]
    
    env ACTIVE_CONSOLES=/dev/tty[1-3]
    env X_TTY=/dev/tty7
    env TTY_AUTO_LOGIN=/dev/tty1
    env AUTO_LOGIN_USER=myUserName
    task
    script
            . /etc/sysconfig/init
            for tty in $(echo $ACTIVE_CONSOLES) ; do
                    [ "$RUNLEVEL" = "5" -a "$tty" = "$X_TTY" ] && continue
                    if [ "$TTY_AUTO_LOGIN" = "$tty" ]
                    then
                            initctl start tty-auto-login AUTO_LOGIN_USER=$AUTO_LOGIN_USER TTY=$tty
                    else
                            initctl start tty TTY=$tty
                    fi
    
            done
    end script
    And created /etc/init/tty-auto-login.conf
    Code:
    # tty-auto-login - getty                                                                                                                                               
    #                                                                                                                                                                      
    # This service maintains a getty on the sepcified device.  The tty is                                                                                                  
    # auto loged into.                                                                                                                                                     
    
    stop on runlevel [016]
    
    respawn
    instance $TTY
    instance $AUTO_LOGIN_USER
    exec /sbin/mingetty --autologin=$AUTO_LOGIN_USER $TTY
    I am not sure I passed parameters to tty-auto-login correctly, so if some one can correct me, but this works for me. I don't have the problem of logging into the tty to soon or having to remove one from the ACTIVE_CONSOLES list.

    -trispad

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 8th June 2009, 04:27 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28th January 2009, 07:51 PM
  3. Fedora 9 Automatic Login Problem
    By jaygeefed in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29th June 2008, 12:57 AM
  4. Automatic Login not working on Fedora 9
    By techmum in forum Alpha - Beta (Fedora 9 Only)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 19th May 2008, 04:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •