FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

System fonts wrong until I select the System-Appearance menu.

This is a bit of an odd problem that's been happening to me recently. My home folder is a version of Fedora old, I've been using the same one between Fedora 11 and 12 (which I'm now using).

When booting up, I notice that my system fonts are not the ones I have manually set. They're the ugly version, whatever exact font it is. It's only when I select System->Appearances from the menu that the system seems to detect my seletions to use Liberation fonts in all areas, and then everything instantly switches to the more visually pleasing Liberation fonts. This is a strange bug, I was wondering if anyone has experienced this or can point me in the right direction?

Thank you in advance.
    Thinkpad T400 - Smolt Profile || Thinkpad T61 - Smolt Profile || Thinkpad T41p - Smolt Profile.

Re: System fonts wrong until I select the System-Appearance menu.

Am I right in assuming that you have a dual boot F11 and F12, and both are using the same home folder? There could be a problem that both F11 and F12 desktop environments are storing their settings in your home folder.

Quote Originally Posted by CSchwangler
    Am I right in assuming that you have a dual boot F11 and F12, and both are using the same home folder? There could be a problem that both F11 and F12 desktop environments are storing their settings in your home folder.
    Sorry if my wording was confusing. Basically my /home directory is not a clean one, formatted on installation of Fedora 12. I kept it from my previous Fedora 11 install. I thought this might explain some odd behaviour.

I just rebooted again and for the first time in a while, haven't seen this problem. It was very odd. Thank you for your help.
    Thinkpad T400 - Smolt Profile || Thinkpad T61 - Smolt Profile || Thinkpad T41p - Smolt Profile.

Similar bug here but in KDE.
    After booting, when i first login into my account (KDE) the fonts used are not the ones i have selected in system settings. In particular some font sizes are too small (some are also correct !?). If i just log out and log in again, then the fonts get back to what they are supposed to be. They will stay ok until i reboot.

qtconfig-qt4 shows correct values.

I did not observe this behavior before installing proprietary nvidia drivers.

My /home directory is brand new after installing Fedora 13.

Pho

I had the same thing on F12, except with icons instead of fonts.

Never quite figured it out.
    - Tom
    "What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." - Stirner

I've added this line in /etc/X11/xorg.conf (section Device)
    Code:
            Option      "DPI" "96x96"
    It looks like my fonts now keep their sizes from session to session.

Pho.