Fedora hates me?!
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy Fedora hates me?!

umm i think this is the right place to post this :S,

ok well im a little sad because i spent so long figuring out how i get nvidia drivers and how compiz is installed ( yes it did take me a long time) and then i was playing with compiz activating the rain effects and stuff (crt, alt , F9) soo i click those keys a few (too many) times and then mr computer restarted i thought hmm maybe crt alt F9 is like crt alt F4 for windows programs but instead for the hole linux OS so i happily waited for it to reboot, and now we i get to gnome ( i have 2 Operating systems installed Windows 7 and fedora 12 ) so i choose fedora, Windows 7 is fine, and it goes to the pretty shades of blue loading up and then once they finish and they disappear im left with a blank screen with that extremely annoying little flashing dash at the top left of my screen, i put the fedora cd in and did a system rescue BUT i still have the same issue, and i REALLY dont want to lose my fedora 12 because yes i was using Google guides for it but it DID take me that long, thats how slow i am with computers, please help

Jamie
    Last edited by Jamiej; 6th May 2010 at 10:27 PM. Reason: my rubbish punctuational

leigh123linux Guest

Re: Fedora hates me??? !

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiej
    umm i think this is the right place to post this :S,

ok well im a little sad because i spent so long figuring out how i get nvidia drivers and how compiz is installed ( yes it did take me a long time) and then i was playing with compiz activating the rain effects and stuff (crt, alt , F9) soo i click those keys a few (too many) times and then mr computer restarted i thought hmm maybe crt alt F9 is like crt alt F4 for windows programs but instead for the hole linux OS so i happily waited for it to reboot, and now we i get to gnome ( i have 2 OS installed 7 and fed ) so i choose fedora 7 is fine, and it goes to the pretty shades of blue loading up and then once they finish and they disappear im left with a blank screen with that freggin annoying little flashing dash at the top left of my screen, i put the fedora cd in and did a system rescue BUT i still have the same issue, and i REALLY dont want to lose my fedora OS because yes i was using Google guides for it but it DID take me that long thats how slow i am with computers, please help

Jamie

Move to EOL (End Of Life) Versions

woo i extremely grateful for your response but is EOL the new one or something ( im a total nob with linux) and im gathering that, moving up a version will giv me the option to keep like, present data or something?? i have F12 im sorry if im wasting ur time but could u be ever so slightly more detail on what im meant to be doing : O ?

stevea Guest

Umm - Errr - I think you are a little too quick on that trigger Leigh123.

I THINK the OP meant that "I choose fedora, (7[Windows7?] is fine), ....". He is using "7" and "fed" as OS names in a confusing manner.

In any case the OP has borked up his installation. I suggest he select an older kernel in the grub boot menu.

If not available then he must boot into single user more (put a " 1" at the end of the grub kernel line, then at the "# " he must UNDO his changes. Perhaps examine the /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors and post gain.

It's an ugly problem for a noob and there may be a re-install in his future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiej
    woo i extremely grateful for your response but is EOL the new one or something ( im a total nob with linux) and im gathering that, moving up a version will giv me the option to keep like, present data or something?? i have F12 im sorry if im wasting ur time but could u be ever so slightly more detail on what im meant to be doing : O ?
    Well, I hope I can be in some assistance. First have you partitioned your hard drive? If you have and all your stuff is in the partition not containing the Linux OS you'll be fine with reinstalling to F12. If you haven't then read upon using Gparted (that is what I used anyway). It is included in almost any linux liveCD After partitioning you can use the liveCD to access your personal files and move them to your second partition, which does not contain the Fedora Installation. Secondly, EOL means End of Life for the version of Fedora, which means it is not supported any more. Fedora support the last two releases and when a new release comes out the older one is unsupported. I hope I cleared some of the fog for you. Good luck!

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).

Okay, back to General Support then.

To the OP: This is not a texting Forum; so please use upper case and normal punctuation to make your sentences and thoughts clear. Frankly, I couldn't follow a thing you're talking about and we both speak English. Imagine if your native language is NOT English and you're trying to understand this thread.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Quote Originally Posted by NightSinner
    Well, I hope I can be in some assistance. First have you partitioned your hard drive? If you have and all your stuff is in the partition not containing the Linux OS you'll be fine with reinstalling to F12. If you haven't then read upon using Gparted (that is what I used anyway). It is included in almost any linux liveCD After partitioning you can use the liveCD to access your personal files and move them to your second partition, which does not contain the Fedora Installation. Secondly, EOL means End of Life for the version of Fedora, which means it is not supported any more. Fedora support the last two releases and when a new release comes out the older one is unsupported. I hope I cleared some of the fog for you. Good luck!
    ummm no, sorry, i haven't partitioned my drive when i was first play with ubuntu i did but when i decided to give fedora a twirl i just selected use free space and it didn't uninstall my windows 7 in the process of choosing that option so i was pleased an did think twice about it

---------- Post added at 01:18 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 PM CDT ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Okay, back to General Support then.

To the OP: This is not a texting Forum; so please use upper case and normal punctuation to make your sentences and thoughts clear. Frankly, I couldn't follow a thing you're talking about and we both speak English. Imagine if your native language is NOT English and you're trying to understand this thread.
    sorry sir, ill try to more clear in the future.

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM CDT ----------

Quote Originally Posted by stevea
    Umm - Errr - I think you are a little too quick on that trigger Leigh123.

I THINK the OP meant that "I choose fedora, (7[Windows7?] is fine), ....". He is using "7" and "fed" as OS names in a confusing manner.

In any case the OP has borked up his installation. I suggest he select an older kernel in the grub boot menu.

If not available then he must boot into single user more (put a " 1" at the end of the grub kernel line, then at the "# " he must UNDO his changes. Perhaps examine the /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors and post gain.

It's an ugly problem for a noob and there may be a re-install in his future.
    possibly : S , because no , linux isn't on a partition it was just installed into free space so i can access my linux files from windows 7 if thats of any use?? and also when grub pops up its give me 2 options Fedora(hole bunch of numbers) and Other..., witch is windows how do i select single user? and change the name kernel and stuff? , also if i back up (all) of my linux files then when i reinstall linux can i put them back exactly how they were? , or by reinstalling and choosing replace existing linux OS would we this accomplish?

stevea Guest

Re: Fedora hates me?!

... and Leigh too !!

This makes no sense ...
    possibly : S , because no , linux isn't on a partition it was just installed into free space so i can access my linux files from windows 7 if thats of any use??

EIther you have a liveCD, a networkBoot (extrmely unlikely) or Fedora is installed on disk. Since grub comes up - it;s on disk in some partitions.

TO enter single user, when grub pops up, then hit 'e' for edit. Select the " kernel ..... " line , move the cursor to the end of line and insert a " 1" one seperated by spaces. THen hit <return", then hit 'b' for boot. When the kernel boots you get a dumb VGA terminal on screen and "# " promt. Yo are already logged in as root.