Xfce and touchpads in Fedora 13
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Xfce and touchpads in Fedora 13

In GNOME there is a nice gui menu for configuring your touchpad, including the option to enable click-on-tap (tapping the touchpad performs the same actions as pressing a mouse button). Xfce has no such menu, but enabling click-on-tap is as easy as adding a single line to a configuration file.

Fedora 13 uses Xorg 1.8, which introduces a new method for configuring hardware such as touchpads. If you do an internet search for configuring touchpads with Xfce, you will discover a large number of posts dealing with <i>old</i> versions of Xorg, none of which will help you in Fedora 13! (It took me several hours to discover this, hence this post!)

To enable click-on-tap in Fedora 13, you must edit the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf with root privileges. To do this, open Terminal and enter the following commands (press <enter> at the end of each line):

Code:
    cd /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
    su -c "mousepad 50-synaptics.conf"
    Enter your password when prompted. When the file opens in Mousepad, add the following, right above the line that says "EndSection":

Code:
    Option "TapButton1" "1"
    (indent the new line with the Tab button so that it is in line with the lines above it)

Save the file, close Mousepad and restart your computer. Your touchpad should now click when tapped!

More advanced configurations are possible - see the Synaptics manual page and http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Input_..._configuration for more information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Xfce and touchpads in Fedora 13

Thanks! Didn't get it to work at first, my 50-synaptics.conf contained two InputClass Sections and at first I placed the correction code in the second one, but when I moved it to the first one the fix worked flawlessly.