[SOLVED] F12 Yum locks during "Running Transaction Test"
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F12 Yum locks during "Running Transaction Test"

I spent some time on this issue and I just wanted to share a resolution that was difficult to find (at least for me).

Yum was working fine for me for a long time on my Fedora 12 installation x64, when suddenly it stopped during transaction checks. It didn't matter which package I was installing, or if I performed an update or anything. Always in the same place, and it always required a kill -9 to stop the process. Even with debugging turned on in yum (-d 10 -e 10 --rpmverbosity=10) it would not display an error...just hang during the transaction check. I tried the following to no avail:
    Code:
    # rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
    # yum clean all
    # rpm -v -v rebuilddb
    Still, it would lock after the transaction test.

The only thing that solved my issue was running:
    Code:
    # strace yum -y update
    This showed me that I had a stale NFS mount that was in a hung state. I tried umount but it just showed that the device was busy and would not unmount. The only way to fix it was to perform:
    Code:
    # umount -l /mnt/data
    which allowed the stale mount to be removed. Once that was cleaned up, everything worked.

I struggled with this because there were no debugging messages, and I had no idea the transaction check would go through all of my mounted drives. However I just wanted others to know about this, because it was a rare issue, and I had trouble finding the solution.
    Last edited by Wagz69; 19th April 2010 at 07:28 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F12 Yum locks during "Running Transaction Test"

Thanks a million for posting this. I was encountering the same issue today -- both yum and smart were hanging on the transaction test and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. Indeed, an errant nfs mount was the culprit.

Wonder if this is something new? I've never seen it before -- but I've not generally had a lot of nfs shares before, either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wagz69
    I spent some time on this issue and I just wanted to share a resolution that was difficult to find (at least for me).

Yum was working fine for me for a long time on my Fedora 12 installation x64, when suddenly it stopped during transaction checks. It didn't matter which package I was installing, or if I performed an update or anything. Always in the same place, and it always required a kill -9 to stop the process. Even with debugging turned on in yum (-d 10 -e 10 --rpmverbosity=10) it would not display an error...just hang during the transaction check. I tried the following to no avail:
    Code:
    # rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db.*
    # yum clean all
    # rpm -v -v rebuilddb
    Still, it would lock after the transaction test.

The only thing that solved my issue was running:
    Code:
    # strace yum -y update
    This showed me that I had a stale NFS mount that was in a hung state. I tried umount but it just showed that the device was busy and would not unmount. The only way to fix it was to perform:
    Code:
    # umount -l /mnt/data
    which allowed the stale mount to be removed. Once that was cleaned up, everything worked.

I struggled with this because there were no debugging messages, and I had no idea the transaction check would go through all of my mounted drives. However I just wanted others to know about this, because it was a rare issue, and I had trouble finding the solution.
    Yeah, everything works after I did something exactly above .
    The problem is : I've shut down the remote system and forgot to umount the directory that I mounted by nfs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much! I was having the same problem - and sure enough, I had the same issue with NFS. Your solution worked perfectly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here we are more than a year later, and a long time RHEL engineer just had his bacon saved by this post. I'd already straced yum and figured that my problem was the stale nfs handle, but did not know about (or had forgotten, same thing) the lazy nfs umount.

Thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the post, it solved my problem. I never expected yum to enumerate mounts for installing some stuff.