F12 - slow copying to external NTFS drive
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F12 - slow copying to external NTFS drive

Probably this is not x86_64 related issue, but I need help as I am in the following situation:
    When I copy folders to an external NTFS formatted drive everything is OK when there are less than 100 files in the folder - copying is fast as it should be. When more than 100 files are contained in the folder copying lasts 15 minutes for 140 files and that time increases with bigger number of files. The external drive does not indicate that there is any file transfer done to it for minutes, then flashes shortly, followed by silence again. The copied files are OK at the end of copying.
    On the same computer under windows XP this problem does not exist.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: F12 - slow copying to external NTFS drive

I have Fedora 12 (F12) and an NTFS external drive. I have just transferred ~60,000 files to the drive and the average speed of transfer is about 10MB per second which is a normal or a slightly fast transfer speed. Can you quantify the slow transfer speed that you are experiencing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by petarp
    Probably this is not x86_64 related issue, but I need help as I am in the following situation:
    When I copy folders to an external NTFS formatted drive everything is OK when there are less than 100 files in the folder - copying is fast as it should be. When more than 100 files are contained in the folder copying lasts 15 minutes for 140 files and that time increases with bigger number of files. The external drive does not indicate that there is any file transfer done to it for minutes, then flashes shortly, followed by silence again. The copied files are OK at the end of copying.
    On the same computer under windows XP this problem does not exist.
    "External" doesn't say much. What kind of interface is it using? USB? eSATA? Other?

USB is slow, and this is a normal thing. One of the typical things that you would notice with USB is that it RAPIDLY will fill the buffer (giving the false appearance that it is actually copying fast), and it will then slow down to normal speed and transfer the entire set of data that way (not just the balance, the ENTIRE thing from the beginning). This makes it appear to be EXTRA slow at the end (after the buffer is full).

It is also possible that you could be having filesystem related issues. NTFS isn't exactly a sane filesystem to be using.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to insist on ntfs filesystem, buy the proprietary ntfs-3g driver, which has speed optimisations. Case solved
    Disc space -- the final frontier!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 MB/sec write speed onto an external ntfs disk is definitely too slow. At least if you be using Windows. In Linux, i made the same experience. The Linux ntfs-3g driver is slow as hell. In Windows I had constant 20MB/sec write speed with aforementioned disk (not only the buffer, but during all operations .. also bigger files). Linux to NTFS disk, it's the same for me. 10MB/sec or less .
    @Panoz: Wait, buy ntfs-3g? I didn't know there was a commercial version of ntfs-3g. And it is faster?
    Maeh. Out of the question :/.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ye it's 30 to 50 times better and alike ext3 performance as they say:

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxer...l/performance/

The open source version seems to be extremely slow compared to other filesystems.
    Disc space -- the final frontier!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, the situation got more interesting when I tested a second external HD - writing to it is now OK, but reading has delays. I guess it is hardware dependent. I will post details of the two HD's tomorrow.