Fedora 12 and USB KVM
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Fedora 12 and USB KVM

I have been having this problem ever since I installed Fedora 12 right after it was released.

I have 4 machines.. 3 are running Fedora 11, and 1 is running Fedora 12 that I wiped out a Fedora 11 install on and installed Fedora 12 from the full install media.

I have a IOGear 4 port USB KVM switch connected to all 4 boxes, and connected to an Acer X223w monitor, Logitech keyboard, and Logitech trackball.

None of the Fedora 11 boxes have a problem, and the one running Fedora 12 didn't have the problem when it was running Fedora 11, so I am sure it's a Fedora 12 problem and not a hardware problem.

The problem I am having is I boot up Fedora 12, and everything is fine... no problems.. Until I switch the KVM to a different box. The last thing in my logs is it disconnecting the USB devices.. then the system hangs. nadda.. nothing. when I switch back, it's locked up tight. won't reconnect the USB devices. (however it must reconnect the video because the screen shows up on my monitor)

Sometimes I can ssh into the Fedora 12 box and do a normal shutdown and restart, and other times, it's locked up where I can't even ssh into it.

Any suggestions on how I can fix this nagging problem? it's the only thing preventing me from putting Fedora 12 on all of my boxes now.

This sounds like bug 540584, although I cannot be sure, of course. Please try to update xorg-x11-drv-evdev to 2.3.2-3.fc12 and xorg-x11-server-* to 1.7.4-1.fc12. If it goes away after that, good. Otherwise, file a new bug.
    -- Pete

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev
    This sounds like bug 540584, although I cannot be sure, of course. Please try to update xorg-x11-drv-evdev to 2.3.2-3.fc12 and xorg-x11-server-* to 1.7.4-1.fc12. If it goes away after that, good. Otherwise, file a new bug.
    -- Pete
    Those are the versions that I am running. pulled them out of the updates-testing repo as soon as they hit to see if they would correct my problem, but I am still having the same problems. didn't affect it at all

However, bug 540584 is what I am experiencing.. and there has been someone else note in there that the updates did not fix their problem either
    Last edited by DBelton; 11th January 2010 at 12:10 PM.

Did you get a response to this ? I am having the same although not quite as bad. I find it boots me out to the main login screen. I've not seen it for a while though since updating. I still don't quite trust it though, since if you are in the middle of a yum update it will totally tank the system.

Quote Originally Posted by PompeyBlue
    Did you get a response to this ? I am having the same although not quite as bad. I find it boots me out to the main login screen. I've not seen it for a while though since updating. I still don't quite trust it though, since if you are in the middle of a yum update it will totally tank the system.
    Mine is still doing this even with the latest updates.

And yes, if it does it in the middle of a yum update it will tank the system. I got lucky when that happened to me. I was able to do a yum-complete-transaction and since it happened while it was in the middle of updating firefox when it crashed, firefox was the only thing that got messed up. I was able to force a reinstall of firefox n fix everything.

Thumbs down KVM switch, Fedora 12, Nvidia (kmod-nvidia-pae) drivers

Similar thing here:
    Belkin usb KVM with fedora 12 and Nvidia drivers. I have a two computers plugged into the KVM, one running snow leopard and the other FC12. If I do not switch the KVM things works perfectly, after a first switch though, the GNOME UI starts to behave weirdly. For the most part the mouse clicks stops working properly, keyboard still works.

After several times of switching the X11 eventually freezes completely, keyboard mouse and video freezes. The system still runs and allows ssh connections. I cant kill the X server though nor telinit 3 will work. The only way out is to send a restart signal through the ssh connection.
    Any clues?

Sam thing here, gwiederhecker... Mine is an Iogear usb KVM with 3 computers plugged in. 3 of them are running Fedora 11 and those are no problem at all. The 4th is running Fedora 12 and when I switch teh KVM away from it and back, I get no mouse clicks to work, although the pointer will move on the screen. That is when it just has minor problems. lol Sometimes it will lock up completely, other times it will restart X. Most of the time I can ssh into it and restart, although there have been a few times it was completely locked up and I couldn't even do that.

This issue has been filed in bugzillla as bug 540584, so you might go over and see what progress is being made

On mine, I had this issue with the standard nouveau drivers and with the nvidia drivers, so video drivers aren't the issue.
    Last edited by DBelton; 21st January 2010 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks DBelton, I'll have a look on the bugzilla.

Quote Originally Posted by gwiederhecker
    Thanks DBelton, I'll have a look on the bugzilla.
    I think there were some that were able to get around the problem by putting the mouse and keyboard entries back in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but I didn't have any luck doing that, still had the problem.

Smile Problem apparently solved!

Today I upgraded the test xorg-x11-server-* that is avaliable in the updates-testing repository and for the last 5 hours I had no problems at all.

First enable the test repository:
    Go to System-> Administration->Add/Remove Software->system->software resources
    check the box Fedora 12 - i386 - Test Updates, close the window.

Update:
    Go to System-> Administration-> Sofware Update.
    There will be a whole bunch of test updates, I didn't do them all. I deselected everything (right click on the checkbox column) and then selected all the xorg-* packages.

Log out and log in again. No restart is necessary.

Cheers,
    Gustavo.

I have been updating my xorg-x11-server from the updates-testing repo for bout 2 weeks now, and I will agree that it did help the problem, I do still have it on occasion. I used to have it lock up nearly every time I switched away, but now it's intermittent and I cant accurately predict when it will happen.

Isn't it a bit dodgy running test updates ?

Probably is. I mean there could be further bugs in the test version that the dev team is not aware of. It solved my problem however. I've been using for a few days without a single crash. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by PompeyBlue
    Isn't it a bit dodgy running test updates ?
    Yes, but the updates-testing repo is more of a staging repo. most of them have been tested and are there for others to test before being moved on into the updates repo.

and with this problem, the system is basically unusable so test updates are a good thing if it gets the problem fixed. lol