Do criminals ever offer free wifi
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Do criminals ever offer free wifi

People delight in finding free wireless internet connections in their neighborhoods. I wonder if criminals every set up such free wifi deliberately in order to gain information from monitoring the traffic.
    "Never let the task you are trying to accomplish distract you from the study of computers."

aleph is offline Banned (for/from) behaving just like everybody else!
    I'd rather not worry about criminals. Those who are supposed to fight criminals are much more dangerous.
    Code:
    from rlyeh import cthulhu
    cthulhu.fhtagn()

Quote Originally Posted by aleph
    Those who are supposed to fight criminals are much more dangerous.
    +1

That said, as true as that is, I'm personally still paranoid enough to stay off of any unsecured WiFi if I can reasonably avoid it.
    - Tom
    "What is freedom? To have the will to be responsible for one's self." - Stirner

Quote Originally Posted by tjvanwyk
    +1

That said, as true as that is, I'm personally still paranoid enough to stay off of any unsecured WiFi if I can reasonably avoid it.
    Iím not. I figure that since (most) so‐called wireless security doesnít actually offer any real security, using unencrypted wireless isnít problematic. I just make sure that data I need confidential is encrypted well and transmitted using TLS. Also, wired connections tend to be safer.

Disable wireless

This really does not address your question but when in doubt don't connect.

I've noticed one very useful feature of Fedora 12. Have it on a laptop with built-in wireless capability. Having built in wireless is the default but users can easily disable it thusly --- right click on the networking icon and uncheck the box Enable Wireless. You can still make wired connections or use mobile broadband devices like a Verizon wireless modem

sandspur
    Pensacola LUG
    http://www.pcolalug.org