Fedora 12 x86_64 stops booting on the fedora logo before log screen
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fedora 12 x86_64 stops booting on the fedora logo before log screen

Well thanks for any help in advance and please ask any questions I really need to fix this laptop for it is my only computer. Or I will have to wait for fedora 13 and make an upgrade.

Please Help

Could you give some details about your hardware, graphics card, graphics driver? Are you using Gnome, KDE or something different?
    Are there any error messages displayed? Can you get to a shell (Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2 ...) and obtain log files, e.g. /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Xorg.0.log

erased for better future use
    Last edited by checoimg; 20th December 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: erased for better future use

Last edited by checoimg; 20th December 2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: erased for better future use

SIZE=1]---------- Post added at 10:50 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 PM CST ----------[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]I got something ...mmm on the bootscreen where fedora logo is to appear during boot there I presed ESC Key and got this message on a black screen

WARNING: deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/
    sh: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inaproppiate ioctl device

sh: no job control in this shell

sh-4.0#

I tried CTRL ALT F2 but did not work so it looks like serious trouble for me.

I really really need help this time

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM CST ----------

Acer Aspire 5735-6694 Intel Core2Duo t6400
    Mobile Intel Graohics Media accelerator 4500MHD
    4GB DDR2

---------- Post added at 03:47 PM CST ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM CST ----------

Quote Originally Posted by CSchwangler
    Could you give some details about your hardware, graphics card, graphics driver? Are you using Gnome, KDE or something different?
    Are there any error messages displayed? Can you get to a shell (Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2 ...) and obtain log files, e.g. /var/log/messages, /var/log/Xorg.0.log?
    Finally the messages file has more info on what I was doing before this problem came up. Forgot to tell you that I use Gnome and was checking the kde enviroment after installing it by terminal but it is not the problem for that is very far from now. i will put the messages file on parts for it is too big.
    Last edited by checoimg; 19th December 2009 at 04:57 AM. Reason: coloring the message that appears behind the boot screen

Don't send all of the messages file, most of the output will not be of use.

Do this:

At the Fedora logo type Alt+d
    that will expose the boot screen. At the point where the boot stalls write down and post the contents of the last line that failed and the error message.

Do this:
    Use an install cd to boot into rescue mode, follow the instructions and chroot /mnt/sysimage

at the prompt type:

less /var/log/messages | grep error >>messageErrorsSegfaultWarn.out
    and then type:
    less /var/log/messages | grep segfault >>messageErrorsSegfaultWarn.out
    and then type:
    less /var/log/messages | grep warn >>messageErrorsSegfaultWarn.out

You might want to take a look at boot.log and dmesg in /var/log

to see if they have additional information.

post the contents of messagErrorsSegfaultWarn.out here so we can review.

You can use this technique for the other log files to get useful information.

We need to know if you have ever been able to boot into F12 or if you never have. It seems that you have if you installed KDE after gnome.
    jbkt23
    Thinkpad x200 Intel P8600, x40
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

Thanks jbkt23

I installed KDE on F11 but I did not use it onF12 I strated taking all the old F11 packages thought it was an error now I fear it was ok like that.

code:" yum -y groupinstall "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

ALT D did not work
    Last edited by checoimg; 19th December 2009 at 05:19 AM.

Do you have a F12 install disk, or F11? Either will do. When you boot from one of these one of the choices will be to rescue an installed system. Follow the instructions, including establishing a network connection.
    I recommend that you edit your first 2 or 3 posts and delete the xorg.log output. The long lists of output are discouraging others from offering help.
    Are you using another computer to connect to the internet and post here?

Once you have access to the sysimage do as I described above and post those results here.
    This is going to take some time.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM CST ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:48 PM CST ----------

Here, you need to read this now that I have found your other post.

http://fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=174492

The original can be found at the top of the 'Installation' topic heading.

Also in the release notes for fedora is a link to upgrading instructions.
    jbkt23
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

I googled for your error message, not a clear message how to fix it, but move your files into /etc/modprobe.d and add .conf as file extension. That that is not helpful if its modprobe.conf.

Some are not lucky to do an upgrade, some are.

Since yours is trash and still have your config and data files backed up, might as well Fresh Install Fedora 12.

Again, some got lucky, some didn't.

Cheers

I got to the rescue mode just arrows from my keyboard and enter luckly, just after used code: dir and see the files where there but couldn't put them in another folder so to take it here mmm I know cd and dir commands from my little expirience with ms-dos promt on windows.

WARNING: deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/
    You can ignore this message. It is present in everybody's log.

sh: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inaproppiate ioctl device

sh: no job control in this shell
    This may be related to your upgrade problems but it is just a symptom.

It is going to be very hard for us to assist you because you give us too little information to know what you did that succeeded and what did not.
    So, here is what I suggest. First, download the Parted Magic live CD image and burn it to a CD. http://partedmagic.com/
    Second, boot this cd on your hammered computer and see that you can find your files. Third, by an external usb drive of sufficient capacity to hold your personal files and data. Fourth, once you have booted the PM liveCD plug in the USB drive and copy your home folders and data folders to that. Once that is successful you can use gparted to repartition your disk, I recommend 3 partitions, two of about 12 Gigs each, and the last at least 50 Gigs or larger. This last will be mounted as your home partition and hold all of your data files. You will use one of the 12 Gig partitions for your F12 install and the other will be held as a spare or for F13 when it comes out.

You need to read up on the tools in the Parted Magic LiveCD and think about all the tasks.

There are other and maybe better ways to get you out of your predicament but this may be the fastest and safest to preserve your data.
    Last edited by jbkt23; 19th December 2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: link to Parted Magic
    jbkt23
    Acer AMD A10-7800 R7

Well this is my problem I can cd the folders but do not know the command to copy the file so it would appear on the Live cd session.

some new file have appeared after writting the commands .readahead_collect , .autofsck and .autorelabel

---------- Post added at 05:11 AM CST ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 10:30 PM CST ----------

Quote Originally Posted by marcrblevins
    I googled for your error message, not a clear message how to fix it, but move your files into /etc/modprobe.d and add .conf as file extension. That that is not helpful if its modprobe.conf.

Some are not lucky to do an upgrade, some are.

Since yours is trash and still have your config and data files backed up, might as well Fresh Install Fedora 12.

Again, some got lucky, some didn't.

Cheers
    It did not work that is the first thing I thought about.

---------- Post added at 06:20 AM CST ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM CST ----------

I will reformat and install F11 and then upgrade to see where is the problem. Until then I will rest

Plan B

I changed my mind about what to do but it is on another thread. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...30#post1308830

I ran into the same (maybe?) problem - new install of F12 x64 on HP dv6451 AMD Turion 64x2, 4Gb (yeah, I know, HP says it can only take 2Gb but they are wrong - I'll try 6 gb next!), Nvidia chipset and video, broadcom 4312 wireless.
    And I apologize ahead of time for not remembering all of the commands needed to do this - this is just an outline of what I had to do. I did this 3 times already (I keep swapping out drives) and so far it has worked on every one of the installs.

After a good installation, F12 would freeze right after the logo showed up.

Here is what I had to do to get it working, and it has worked fine ever since;
    Boot up in text mode (run level 3 - add a '3' to the end of the boot line in Grub)
    bring up your network connection if it didn't automatically start (I had to be wired to do it, wireless wasn't working yet)
    [B]ifup eth0[/B]
    dhclient eth0
    (do only if you didn't get an IP address)
    yum -y update (this will apply all the updates, so it will take a while)
    reboot into text mode again since it has loaded a new kernel
    add the rpm-fusion free and non-free repositories ('links' browser works great in text mode)
    install the nvidia drivers
    confirmed that the neauveau driver was blacklisted
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    installed the broadcom wl drivers
    confirmed that the b43 and ssb driver were blacklisted
    cat /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

rebooted -- and it came up normally under the nvidia drivers and has worked perfectly ever since.

I think the problem is in the neaveau driver for those of us with the nvidia graphics card. I tried the nomodeset switch but it didn't work - still hung. Once I got the proprietary nvidia driver working it seemed to fix the boot problem.

Like I said, this may or may not fix your problem...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast