FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10

    Red face Fedora 12 LiveCD won't boot on HP 6530s

    I need to do a fresh installation of Fedora12. I have downloaded Fedora-12-i686-Live.iso and Fedora-12-i686-Live-KDE.iso none of them are booting. Once the machine switched on with first boot device as cd-rom, it hangs on the machine BIOS screen. Even I can't see the Boot options while the LiveCD in the CD-ROM; once I remove the LiveCD, it continues.

    I have check the checksum and it is matched and downloaded from several mirrors but no luck. I burn it on DVD, boot from usb CD-ROM, update BIOS and burn using Windows/Linux none of them are got through.

    I have download the Fedora 12 i386 DVD which is the only one got through. Maybe this is x86 architecture cause none of Fedora 12 x686 are not booting; i don't know..!

    I have tried this on several HP laptops and working fine but only the HP6530s. One of my colleagues having the same laptop model as mine and same issue.

    I think this is something with HP 6530s Vs Fedora12. I have used this laptop with Fedora10,Fedora11 and now Im using Kubuntu 9.10 with no issue. I really need Fedora12 and I gave my best effort to make it boot.

    I'm working on PXE boot maybe I can get it; but I wonder whats going on with CD-ROM boot.

    Can somebody tell me whats going on? someone experiencing this? Please advice me.

    Thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    I can't boot a live CD on my HP DV9727CL laptop, either. I get a blank blue screen where my cursor will move around and my volume control will work, but nothing else. Fedora 11 worked fine as does the latest Mandriva. I'd prefer Fedora but this has me stumped. Anyone have any ideas?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10
    Here Im sending dmesg and lspci if someone needs them. The machine is running on kubuntu 9.10. Please find the attached details.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20

    Lightbulb

    I could not boot off the gnome live-cd on a dell 9200 with nvidia 8600gts card either.

    BUT it installed perfectly from the fedora 12 DVD.

    Very stable thus far, what a pleasure to use fedora

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10
    yeah! I manged that too but Im not fuzzy about DVD cause it is on i386 architecture. What I use is new laptop with T5870 Intel processor; which supports i686 architecture like other versions and distros.

    Im looking at i686 cause most of the new binaries are optimized to run on new processor and I expect slight performance increase. If someone could enlighten me there is no difference between Fedora 12 LiveCD i686 and Fedora 12 DVD i386, I can switch to Fedora 12 DVD.

    Right now I'm using Kubuntu 9.10 with i686 architecture.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    20
    I am not sure that using the dvd would be worse than the live-cd for i386 vs i686 packages etc. It appears the naming of the DVD vs CD is only for legacy purposes, both methods install i686 kernels if that is what your system supports

    I used the dvd for installation yet I get:
    uname -r 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE
    uname -m i686
    arch i686



    Also see here:
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...t=i386+vs+i686

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thaidog

    Is there a way to get i686 rpms instead?
    No.

    There are only i386 packages and x86_64 packages. The i386 thing only kinda means "generic-runs-on-anything-Intel". It's true meaning is really "32-bit Intel" (in contrast to the 64-bit x86_64 packages). You are not the first person to ask or complain about this nomenclature. Nobody is actually using 386 processors these days.

    Regarding kernels, there are i586 and i686 kernel packages. The i586 is basically only for the original Pentium processor. Any Intel processor since that is an i686.

    Regarding the Fedora ISO files and the installation disks made from them, the i686 Fedora DVD has both the i586 and i686 kernels and will install what is needed (usually).

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by nixman
    Once the machine switched on with first boot device as cd-rom, it hangs on the machine BIOS screen. Even I can't see the Boot options while the LiveCD in the CD-ROM; once I remove the LiveCD, it continues.
    I have the same issue on my HP ProBook 4410s laptop.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    10
    Ok, Since there is no problem on booting with F12 DVD I gave a shot and to my surprise it gives me a kernel panic

    Then I disabled the ACPI and it continued till I disk partitioning. I'm using kubuntu right now and I use unallocated partition for F12 cause I don't want to loose any of my data due to this. I have enough space to install another distro (20GB) but when I select free space and define / with 8GB it says not enough diskspace; I tried to give 1G and any other fstype, it complains not enough diskspace

    Can anyone tell me whats going with F12? I was happily used F11, Kubuntu and backtrack4 on this machine with no issue.

    Here is the kernel panic:
    IOMMU 0: ver 1:5 cap f000674ef000e2c3 ecap f000ff54f000674e
    DMAR:RMRR base: 0xf000674ef000fa11 end: 0xf000eg87f000fra8
    DMAR:RMRR base: 0x0000007be00000 end: 0x0000007fffffff
    DMAR:No ATSR found
    DRHD: handling fault status reg f000674e
    ACPI: EC: missing confirmations, switch off interrupt mode.
    kerel panic - not syncing: DMAR hardware is malfunctioning

    Pid: 1, comm: Swapper Tainted: G W 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1

    Please advice me!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    4

    Same problem here on 8530p elitebook

    Quote Originally Posted by nixman
    Ok, Since there is no problem on booting with F12 DVD I gave a shot and to my surprise it gives me a kernel panic

    Then I disabled the ACPI and it continued till I disk partitioning. I'm using kubuntu right now and I use unallocated partition for F12 cause I don't want to loose any of my data due to this. I have enough space to install another distro (20GB) but when I select free space and define / with 8GB it says not enough diskspace; I tried to give 1G and any other fstype, it complains not enough diskspace

    Can anyone tell me whats going with F12? I was happily used F11, Kubuntu and backtrack4 on this machine with no issue.

    Here is the kernel panic:
    IOMMU 0: ver 1:5 cap f000674ef000e2c3 ecap f000ff54f000674e
    DMAR:RMRR base: 0xf000674ef000fa11 end: 0xf000eg87f000fra8
    DMAR:RMRR base: 0x0000007be00000 end: 0x0000007fffffff
    DMAR:No ATSR found
    DRHD: handling fault status reg f000674e
    ACPI: EC: missing confirmations, switch off interrupt mode.
    kerel panic - not syncing: DMAR hardware is malfunctioning

    Pid: 1, comm: Swapper Tainted: G W 2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686 #1

    Please advice me!

    I happen to have the same problem with me 8530p. All the other FC distros that iǘe tried (9,10,11) worked perfectly, but when I tried FC12 the laptop froze at the bios menu - the cd couldnt be read. I've also tried to install it on a memory stick. When i inserted it -i had just entered bios - it froze again. Is there any logical explanation for this? I am suspicious of my laptop - i do still believe that there may be some hardware problems, since neither Mandriva 2010 will not enter X server.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by vincix
    I happen to have the same problem with me 8530p. All the other FC distros that iǘe tried (9,10,11) worked perfectly, but when I tried FC12 the laptop froze at the bios menu - the cd couldnt be read. I've also tried to install it on a memory stick. When i inserted it -i had just entered bios - it froze again. Is there any logical explanation for this? I am suspicious of my laptop - i do still believe that there may be some hardware problems, since neither Mandriva 2010 will not enter X server.

    hi... i install FC12 using intel_iommu=off vga=771 on grub boot options on a hp6530b

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3
    I'm using HP Pavillion DV3. Encounter this problem before this. I can't boot my livecd. After googling around, it fix with "intel_iommu=off" , add into boot parameter.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    26
    I bought a new CQ40 609tx adn I encountered the same problem, "intel_iommu=off" avoided the kernel panic problem, but when it started up installer and it stopped at hardware detection.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3

    Re: Fedora 12 LiveCD won't boot on HP 6530s

    Have the same problem with HP ProBook 4710s.
    Fedora11 installed from LiveCD (i686 and x86_64) worked perfectly until I upgraded to kernel-2.6.30.8-64.fc11
    Freezes at the stage of "Press F10 to enter BIOS setup". No response to keyboard events.
    The same problem with Fedora 12, 13 (alpha, beta) LiveCD's (i686, x86_64, Gnome, LXDE etc).
    The same problem with openSUSE-11.2, 11.3 (beta).

    HP ProBook 4710s BOOTS from LiveCD's and works FINE with:

    debian-live-504-amd64-gnome-desktop
    CDlinux-0.9.5
    Gentoo install-amd64-minimal-******* (March 2010),
    LinuxMint_8
    LinuxMint_8_x64
    LinuxMint-8-LXDE
    LinuxMint-8-Xfce
    ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386
    ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64
    xubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64
    ubuntu-10.04-aplha-desktop-amd64
    xubuntu-10.04-beta2-desktop-amd64 (using it now)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Uzs, France
    Posts
    107

    Re: Fedora 12 LiveCD won't boot on HP 6530s

    Hmm, ditto. HP EliteBook 8730w x2, neither of them will work with the Fedora 12 LiveCD, hang on the BIOS screen. Even tried the CD in an external USB CD drive, in case it was a problem with the internal one, and it still hung. Something about the Fedora 12 LiveCD upsets a lot of HP machines, it seems. How annoying!

    Downloading the DVD now.

    ---------- Post added at 05:00 PM CDT ---------- Previous post was at 03:24 PM CDT ----------

    Ok, I got this working. I used Unetbootin on the HP EliteBook:
    http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

    Used it to build a LiveCD on a USB memory stick. Then rebooted and picked "USB Harddrive" as the boot media. I got a Kernel Panic, so I Googled and found this bug:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=540082

    So I rebooted again, pressed Tab to interrupt the Unetbootin loader and added "intel_iommu=off" to the end of the boot command, as suggested. Worked!

    Edit: Seems this problem relates to the way *some* Intel Core 2-based computers are configured, including most HP notebooks and some other computers too.

    Another edit: Important caveat! Once Fedora 12 is installed, you need to make the same change to the GRUB boot loader (add "intel_iommu=off" to the end of the boot line) or you'll carry on getting kernel panics every time you reboot).
    Last edited by greg.harvey; 14th May 2010 at 04:39 PM.
    http://drupaler.drupalgardens.com

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    1

    Re: Fedora 12 LiveCD won't boot on HP 6530s

    Hello everyone, I'm a new (italian ) user. I'm also having an issue with my HP Pavillion dv1330sl, with replaced hard disk due to smart error. I created a Fedora USB Pen with the proper software (with Fedora 12 i686 Live KDE disk image as operative system) and when I try to boot from that, after the countdown, I get an error like this:

    Kernel panic - not syncing: DMAR hardware is malfunctioning

    Shoud I try with older versions of the OS and Live CDs?
    What can I do?

    Thanks in advance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. fedora 10 livecd boot hangs
    By tapti in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 1st June 2009, 12:45 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th February 2009, 05:29 PM
  3. Can Fedora LiveCD boot from CD-RW?
    By hlcantony in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 16th May 2008, 12:19 AM
  4. Fedora 7 LiveCD boot error
    By Carnilmo in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 4th September 2007, 03:30 AM
  5. 5 STARS! Fedora 7 i386 livecd - how to boot from livecd - need SERIOUS help please!
    By newfedorahat in forum Installation, Upgrades and Live Media
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25th June 2007, 07:37 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •