Fedora 12 and WIFI drivers
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fedora 12 and WIFI drivers

Has Fedora changed its way of WIFI drivers yet ? I went to Ubuntu 9.04 after trying to get Fedora 10 to play with my Brodcom WIFI card Ubuntu 9.04 picked it up and worked right out of the box. Now the new Ubuntu 9.10 is out and I have heard some scary things at some newsgroups. I did like Fedora before but had to switch for my laptops WIFI card. I want to know is did the Fedora team pick up the same code that Ubuntu used for the WIFI drivers or did they stick to the same old crap of a bunch of try and fail ? I would love to come back to Fedora but it has to be friendly to my WIFI card with out the big hassle I had before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello flstenner

We'll only be able to offer advice if we know about the wireless device. Not just the manufacturers model number but the chipset inside.

If you run:

Code:
    lspci
    or

Code:
    lsusb
    dependng on the type of device and copy and paste back the output we may be able to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well If you would of read

well if you would of read my other posting on this problem you would have what you needed to know. this is kind of like a broken record. same old thing as before. ok now I will make it VARY simple DOSE FEDORA 12 USE THE SAME CODE AS UBUNTU TO INSTALL THE WIFI DRIVERS? UBUNTU WORKED GRATE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX ! IF NOT THEN WHY NOT ? IT IS ALL LINUX AND OPEN CODE ! WHY HAS IT UBUNTU WORKS SO GOOD BUT FEDORA DID NOT? I DO NOT SEE ANY NEED FOR REPEATING THE SAME POST I HAVE MADE BEFORE ! THIS IS A SIMPLE QUESTION ONLY NEED A YES OR NO ANSWER. IF NO THEN FEDORA 12 IS NOT WORTH MY TIME TO DOWN LOAD AND WASTE A CD OR A DVD . I WOULD BE VARY UNHAPPY DOING ALL THAT AND FIND OUT IT IS STILL THE SAME AS IT WAS IN FC10.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you come here with that sort of attitude you might wait a long time before you get answers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wifi card

I thought it was a easy question from the first posting . did they use the same code or not no need to go in to after install , you should of seen that if you read it. I am asking before I go through all the wasted time and frustration of trying to make it work when I can just install a disro that works right out of the box. your response was leading me down a old road I once went down before. one that I do not wish to go down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. My broadcom doesn't work out of the box with either distro, but some work ootb with one or the other. Which card do you use?
    2. Asking if "Fedora uses the same code as Ubuntu?" is nonsense because there is a lot of software that goes into something like wireless and some is shared and some is not
    3. If you are hung up on things working out of the box without hassle, Fedora or Ubuntu aren't the distros for you. Try Linux Mint or, better yet, Windows.
    4. Don't use all caps. It doesn't help you get your point across; it makes you look like a baby.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wifi card

Ubunto 9.04 worked fine right off the install. I had to go to > system > hardware Drivers > it scanned and found my card and asked my if I wanted to install the driver > it downloaded and installed > I had to reboot then I had WIFI up and running ! has Fedora done that yet? FC 10 did not

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by flstenner

I will make it VARY simple DOSE FEDORA 12 USE THE SAME CODE AS UBUNTU TO INSTALL THE WIFI DRIVERS? UBUNTU WORKED GRATE RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX ! IF NOT THEN WHY NOT ? IT IS ALL LINUX AND OPEN CODE ! WHY HAS IT UBUNTU WORKS SO GOOD BUT FEDORA DID NOT? I DO NOT SEE ANY NEED FOR REPEATING THE SAME POST I HAVE MADE BEFORE ! THIS IS A SIMPLE QUESTION ONLY NEED A YES OR NO ANSWER. IF NO THEN FEDORA 12 IS NOT WORTH MY TIME TO DOWN LOAD AND WASTE A CD OR A DVD . I WOULD BE VARY UNHAPPY DOING ALL THAT AND FIND OUT IT IS STILL THE SAME AS IT WAS IN FC10.
    The answer is no. The reason is because Fedora and Ubuntu have very different policies regarding proprietary drivers. No amount of yelling and thrashing around by you or any of us will change that. I agree with you that Fedora is not worth your time to download and burn a disk. You clearly do not possess the temperment to use Fedora IMO.