Fedora 12, LXDE Spin
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Fedora 12, LXDE Spin

Christoph Wickert tells us the LXDE spin of Fedora 12 is now here.

I love LXDE and hear good things of Fedora. But I'm hoping that braver and geekier people will try it out before me ;-).

Please post your impressions. Christoph will appreciate the feedback also.

Edit: There's a block on it right now (11/18) - Check News for details - Bob

EDIT #2: Re-composed LXDE re-spin now available (Dec. 03, 2009) - V

Hi,

Since it is a Live CD. Feel free to try it out yourself. You don't need to be a geek for that
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram
    Hi,

Since it is a Live CD. Feel free to try it out yourself. You don't need to be a geek for that
    Many times I have spent many hours trying to get a distro to work properly with my laptop. It can be hard to tell whether a problem e.g. with screen resolution will go away when installed to disk. I can wait - Crunchbang Linux is still working for me.

Another thing I'm wondering - I hear people say that with Ubuntu it's a good idea to wait for a month or so after a new release, so that the bugs get ironed out. (I suspect that the rigid release schedule is exacerbates this in Ubuntu.) But is that a good idea with other distros as well?

Hi,

If you want to take the conservative approach, it isn't a bad idea to wait. You are just missing out on the fun :-)
    Rahul

F11 LXDE (32-bit) was so good (tested in VBox) that I went ahead and upgraded my old workhorse to it. F12 LXDE (32-bit) however crashes immediately and repeatedly upon desktop open in VBox with 'abrt' (I think that's what it is) flashing a message that lxpanel has crashed. Took out the Host GUI twice. Can't try installing as it won't last long enough to get so far. Might try it on real iron.

V

Quote Originally Posted by Hlingler
    F11 LXDE (32-bit) was so good (tested in VBox) that I went ahead and upgraded my old workhorse to it. F12 LXDE (32-bit) however crashes immediately and repeatedly upon desktop open in VBox with 'abrt' (I think that's what it is) flashing a message that lxpanel has crashed. Took out the Host GUI twice. Can't try installing as it won't last long enough to get so far. Might try it on real iron.

V
    i got this issue too, i downloaded through bittorrent, use livecd-creator to transfer to a USB flash disk, then boot it up, my notebeook (1.7Ghz Pentium-M, 512MiB memory) crash everytime when entering desktop with live user account, flashing message about lxpanel, lxsetting, daemon, etc were crash detected... it seem busy and more busy until it got crashed (freeze).

I tried to diagnose with top and free, i got 4MiB free of memory.., loop3, loop2 monopolize the %CPU.

Known issue - the F12 LXDE Re-Spin has been pulled: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/announcement.php?f=61

We just found this out a few minutes ago, by the way... .

V
    Last edited by Hlingler; 18th November 2009 at 08:28 PM.

hmn had that unable to load with any f11 iso just got f12 spin for a friends netbook and it got pulled. f10 loaded and is working like a champ on this netbook quessing its time for me to keep f10 indefinatly and look for other distro iso for backup

Well, I'm glad it wasn't just me! I ended up just downloading regular Fedora w/ GNOME, then
    Code:
    $ su
    $ yum groupinstall lxde-desktop
    or 'sudo yum groupinstall lxde-desktop' if you've already put yourself in the sudoers file.

'LXDE' seems to also work in place of 'lxde-desktop'.

nah i got really exited when fedora 11 came out thought well if fedora 10 booted 0 problems since install amagine fedora 11 well every iso was garbage for my machine the only reason i was even downoading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready just incase after all those fedora 11 iso ive had my fil just got another distro saved incase this fedora 10 goes caput till then im staying behind but working

Quote Originally Posted by perezomail
    nah i got really exited when fedora 11 came out thought well if fedora 10 booted 0 problems since install amagine fedora 11 well every iso was garbage for my machine the only reason i was even downoading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready just incase after all those fedora 11 iso ive had my fil just got another distro saved incase this fedora 10 goes caput till then im staying behind but working
    Here, I think these might help you.
    Code:
    ,.,,with ,i.,.l, 'l, k.,'.
    Quote Originally Posted by perezomail
    nah, i got really exited when fedora 11 came out. thought, well, if fedora 10 booted with 0 problems since install, imagine fedora 11. well, every iso was garbage for my machine. the only reason i was even downloading fedora 12 was to have something current at the ready, just in case after all those fedora 11 iso i've had my fill, just got another distro saved in case this fedora 10 goes kaput. till then, i'm staying behind but working.
    Last edited by YAOMTC; 19th November 2009 at 06:39 AM.

Edit: Grumpy comment retracted. (Was going to add a strikethrough but can't get it to work here, so I'll shrink it.)

Hi,

If you want to take the conservative approach, it isn't a bad idea to wait. You are just missing out on the fun :-)
    I appreciate that, but I'd respectfully suggest that people who know Linux be a bit more conservative in the advice they give out to people on a forum, or mention the kind of risks that come with this kind of fun (fun for you, not for me). Some people don't have a high tolerance for the kind of problems that have subsequently been posted on this list.

Having said that, I do appreciate the hard work you and others like you put in - I'm just offering the perspective of an end-user.
    Last edited by Chriswaterguy; 20th November 2009 at 09:44 AM.

Hi,

If you notice, none of my advice encourages anyone to jump in blindly.
    Rahul

Talking Precautions while testing Fedora custom spins, remasters, latest and greatest version

Note to Fedora people: Kindly do not take personal offence, this post is of a generic nature true for other Linux distros as well, but it needs to be repeated often to save people some trouble. This is not distro-bashing. The same applies to Ubuntu also.
    Thanks.

Statutory warning: Do not test Fedora on real partitions with data which has not been backed up.

And by backed up, I mean, backed up AND restored (to a test setup) recently.

Follow this order of testing methods, best option first:

1. Preferably inside Virtualbox

2. At least VMware

3. Live CD without any changes to the disks and grub

4. Partitions without data on them

5. Partitions whose data has been backed up AND RESTORED successfully, and RECENTLY, AND by YOURSELF.

If these precautions are taken,
    testing Fedora spins, latest versions, upgrades, custom spins, remasters, etc will be a painless, enjoyable experience.

"Don't tell me I didn't tell you."

Some guys will always skip one of these, jump right in, bork their systems and then complain that Fedora sucks, just like I do
    Last edited by fedorat01; 19th November 2009 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fancy formatting

Edit: Grumpy comment retracted. I keep the commendation for fedorat01's good advice
    If you notice, none of my advice encourages anyone to jump in blindly.
    You suggested I try a brand-new spin which turned out to have massive problems. (Shrug.)

I much prefer fedorat01's good advice (Precautions while testing Fedora custom spins, remasters, latest and greatest version).
    Last edited by Chriswaterguy; 20th November 2009 at 09:50 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast