was using fedora 12 beta, repo changed to fedora 13 rawhide - Page 2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    @BrandonD ,

It appears, you have already done a yum update with Rawhide repo enabled and gotten many Fedora 13 packages which is rather tricky to go back and the clean thing to do would be just reinstall the system with Fedora 12 tom but last try, disable the development repository which is still enabled and give me the output of

# yum list extras or yum list installed | grep fc13

Let me see how many packages have been upgraded.
    Rahul
    http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram

Oh, you know, pretty much all of the good files have been updated. About 480 packages.

Here is the entire list:
    http://d01.megashares.com/dl/4544491...ist_extras.txt

EDIT: sorry about the bad hosting site, I didn't know one off of the top of my head.

EDIT: Here's a better site: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AGVEQQP4
    Last edited by BrandonD; 17th November 2009 at 01:16 AM.

Hi,

Ouch. Just reinstall when there is a release in 14 hours. That's just a better way than trying to downgrade all those packages.
    Rahul

Thanks to all of those who helped.

I don't particularly like to just reinstall to fix the issue with Linux, I feel that is the Windows way of doing it. In this case, though, I do believe it would probably be much more difficult to downgrade everything and that way would have no real benefit.

Demz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BrandonD
    Thanks to all of those who helped.

I don't particularly like to just reinstall to fix the issue with Linux, I feel that is the Windows way of doing it. In this case, though, I do believe it would probably be much more difficult to downgrade everything and that way would have no real benefit.
    you would have to replace every fc13 Package with fc12 Package if you wanna do it the hard way. but if you have Documents etc you wanna save, tar it an then put it on a seperate partition an reinstall fc12 on that rawhide partition an then transfer your saved stuff to your new fresh Fedora12 partition an delete that partition you made to save your other stuff on

Unfortunately I've fallen into this trap too and have >450 updated to FC13.
    I feel this has probably been answered before but can't find any solution... I'm sure someone will correct me
    Is there a way to save a list of the installed packages to make my re-install easier? Like "save package markings" in synaptic package manager?

Thanks.

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    Well, the quick answer, before I get ready for work, is that there's /var/log/yum.log. I'm not sure when it rolls over, but it gives dates, so that might be one solution.
    --
    http://srobb.net

Well I know you can do
    Code:
    rpm -qa > rpmlist.txt
    to generate a package list
    But not sure how you'd actually use that on a reinstall?

Ideally i'd like to capture this list without package versions, due to the above mess!

Thanks for help. Rahul, your advice to download the fedora-release and fedora-release-notes from http://fedora.zero42.at/linux/releases/12/Everything/ fixed the problem with the rawhide (Fedora 13) repository being mysteriously "enabled". Here is what I did:
    Code:
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ ls
    fedora-release-notes-12.0.0-4.fc12.noarch.rpm  fedora-release-12-1.noarch.rpm
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ su -c 'rpm -Uvh fedora-release-12-1.noarch.rpm'
    Heslo: 
    Připravuji...              ########################################### [100%]
       1:fedora-release         varování: /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo vytvořen jako /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo.rpmnew
    varování: /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo vytvořen jako /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-updates.repo.rpmnew
    varování: /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo vytvořen jako /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora.repo.rpmnew
    ########################################### [100%]
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ su -c 'rpm -Uvh fedora-release-notes-12.0.0-4.fc12.noarch.rpm'
    Heslo: 
    Připravuji...              ########################################### [100%]
       1:fedora-release-notes   ########################################### [100%]
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ yum clean all
    Zavedeny zásuvné moduly:presto, refresh-packagekit
    Čistí se vše
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ yum repolist
    Zavedeny zásuvné moduly:presto, refresh-packagekit
    fedora/metalink                                                           |  23 kB     00:00     
    fedora                                                                    | 4.2 kB     00:00     
    fedora/primary_db                                                         | 9.7 MB     00:07     
    rpmfusion-free                                                            | 3.8 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-free/primary_db                                                 | 297 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-free-updates                                                    | 3.8 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-free-updates/primary_db                                         | 2.0 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-nonfree                                                         | 3.3 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-nonfree/primary_db                                              |  87 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-nonfree-updates                                                 | 3.8 kB     00:00     
    rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/primary_db                                      | 1.1 kB     00:00     
    updates/metalink                                                          |  13 kB     00:00     
    updates                                                                   | 4.4 kB     00:00     
    updates/primary_db                                                        | 220 kB     00:00     
    repo id                        jméno repa                                        status
    fedora                         Fedora 12 - i386                                  povoleno: 15*366
    rpmfusion-free                 RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free                   povoleno:    383
    rpmfusion-free-updates         RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Free - Updates         povoleno:      1
    rpmfusion-nonfree              RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree                povoleno:    124
    rpmfusion-nonfree-updates      RPM Fusion for Fedora 12 - Nonfree - Updates      povoleno:      0
    updates                        Fedora 12 - i386 - Updates                        povoleno:    326
    repolist: 16*200
    Now every package in Software Update that has Fedora version specified has fc12 in its name - it looks like it should be OK to update the system now.

I ran the update, but it failed, giving this message:

The system still does not have 12 final as its version, is this right? (i.e. does this mean that the fedora-release and fedora-release-notes packages did not do everything right?)
    Code:
    [petr@teltak fedora-release-12]$ uname -a
    Linux teltak 2.6.31.1-56.fc12.i686.PAE #1 SMP Tue Sep 29 16:16:16 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Quote Originally Posted by typerlc
    yum clean all
    yum update
    Man I almost moved to fedora 13 rawhide again by this! Thanks to an unresolved dependency, the update was aborted. (I thought "update" after "clean all" meant something like updating the package information; in fact it tries to install them all)

Hi,

# su -
    # cd /etc/yum.repos.d
    # mv the original .repo files to some other place and rename the .rpmnew to .repo

Try running

# yum update

Watch the output carefully before proceeding.
    Rahul

@influenced

Is this what you're looking for?
    Code:
    yum list installed | awk '{print $1}'
    Be careful because some dependencies may have changed

Quote Originally Posted by RahulSundaram
    Hi,

# su -
    # cd /etc/yum.repos.d
    # mv the original .repo files to some other place and rename the .rpmnew to .repo

Try running

# yum update

Watch the output carefully before proceeding.
    That worked great, thanks! Now I have Fedora 12 (Constantine).

The boot menu now offers two kernels:
    1. Fedora (2.6.31.5-127.fc12.i686.PAE)
    2. Fedora (2.6.31.1-56.fc12.i686.PAE)

Leaving the first kernel to boot has the result that the system does not start, instead this appears:
    Code:
    DRHD: handling fault status reg f0006796
    Kernel panic - not syncing: DMAR hardware is malfunctioning
    The second kernel starts correctly, however. (only the NFS daemon fails to start but this was in beta too)

The report generated by ABRT says my BIOS is broken:

(ABRT cannot send the report, for some reason)

Hi,

yum reinstall kernel and see if the kernel GRUB issue goes away. Abrt has a few issues which should be resolved in updates. You are settled for now.
    Rahul

I solved the problem with the new kernel by disabling IOMMU as suggested here:
    https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=533952

Hi,

Ah ok. That one was listed in

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F12_bugs
    Rahul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2