Formatted Drive.
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Formatted Drive.

I have 3 drives in my computer. I installed Fedora 11 on my two biggest one, with the LVM treating them as one single drive. I attempted to install XP on my last drive. As I was installing, I selected my third drive (I'm 100% sure it is the correct drive as it is an 80gb whilst the others are 120 and 200 respectively) and told it to delete the partition on that drive and format.

After I did that, it started to format, starting with my 120! I'm fairly sure that it was merely a quick format, as it only took 5-10 seconds for it to format, and that my data is still there.

My question is, is there any way to recover my "lost" data, or did I just really screw myself over?

Always install Windows first.

Mixing ide and sata drives for dual booting may cause /dev/names to change and be differernet for each OS.

Start over using the sata 200 as the first drve with the 120 on the primary slave pata.
    Start up Windows installer and verify that the 200 as the first drive, then start up Fedora installer and verify that the 200 as the first drive.
    Now install Windows on half of the 200 and then fedora on the other half. Use the 120 for backups/storage on /mt/somedir or add it to the Fedora install as part of the LVM VG.

Kiss the 80 good by and put a big nail through it.

SJ
    Do the Math

Why am I kissing the 80 good bye?

And what about previous said data on the drives.

You can try TestDisk. It won't make things any worse. It's a free utility that can find lost partitions and reconstruct the partition table. It's not hard to find on the Internet and comes in several versions. I keep the DOS version handy on a bootable CD and a floppy.

If you ever get back to the situation ante-disaster, you can try installing XP after unplugging the other drives. You may have to tweak the Fedora grub.conf file to make it boot XP, but that's easy to do and heavily documented.

I was going to unplug them actually, then I though, "nah, what are the odds".

Actually, depending on the bios, the 120 will be sda and the 200 will be sdb.

Unplugging will only make things worst for F11 and F12, and dual booting.

SJ
    Do the Math

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJet

Unplugging will only make things worst for F11 and F12, and dual booting.
    I'm having trouble understanding why that would be so. The suggestion was to unplug the Fedora drives during the installation of XP. When those are powered back up, Fedora shouldn't know anything happened. And if XP ends up on a non-first drive because of it, the GRUB map command in grub.conf can do a virtual swap on the XP drive when it's booted.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJet

Mixing ide and sata drives for dual booting may cause /dev/names to change and be differernet for each OS.
    The very reason for UUIDs, I thought. Besides, the kernels nowadays can do that without IDE drives in the mix.