FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Error "unable to read group information from repositories..."

I got this error message when installing Fedora 11 by an installlation DVD (download from www.fedoraproject.org)
    Unable to read group information from repositories. This is a problem with the generation of your install tree.

This error message appeared after the step that the installer asked me to choose where to install boot loader and configure the GRUB boot menu. The error message came with two button: [Retry] and [Exit installer].

Anyone knows what happened? Thanks for your support ^^!
    Last edited by peter_george; 13th October 2009 at 04:12 AM.

If you used the normal default install it would NOT ask that question.
    So what partitions did you install on and
    where did you tell the installer to put the grub boot mbr?

I think your install was incomplete.
    BTW: Did you install more than once?

SJ
    Do the Math

Thanks, SlowJet.

I've chosen to install GRUB on MBR. My HDD has 2 partition: 1 primary partition for Windows Server 2003, 1 logical partition that I'll install Fedora 11 on. I've chosen to format as ext3 and mount "root" (/) folder. I've tried many times but it's still the same result .

I've also tried to slit that logical partition into 2 smaller ones: 1 to mount "/boot/" (formatted as ext3) and 1 to mount "/" (formatted as ext4). But I still got that error.

Do you know why that error message appears ?

Did you verify the ISO file before burning and did you use the media check option of the installer?

Quote Originally Posted by peter_george
    Thanks, SlowJet.

I've chosen to install GRUB on MBR. My HDD has 2 partition: 1 primary partition for Windows Server 2003, 1 logical partition that I'll install Fedora 11 on. I've chosen to format as ext3 and mount "root" (/) folder. I've tried many times but it's still the same result .

I've also tried to slit that logical partition into 2 smaller ones: 1 to mount "/boot/" (formatted as ext3) and 1 to mount "/" (formatted as ext4). But I still got that error.

Do you know why that error message appears ?
    You are over thinking the problem.
    Remove all the partitions leaving only the Windows with the livecd.
    Then install the default. (Use free space on disk)
    You get a /boot with a / and a swap.
    Grub will install in the correct place.
    And that's all you need to known.

SJ
    Do the Math

Quote Originally Posted by markkuk
    Did you verify the ISO file before burning and did you use the media check option of the installer?
    Thanks markkuk, I think there's problem with the installation media because I've modified the ISO (I've added 1 folder contains some SCIM engines to the ISO). Maybe the original structure of the ISO has corrupted ^^.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowJet
    You are over thinking the problem.
    Remove all the partitions leaving only the Windows with the livecd.
    Then install the default. (Use free space on disk)
    You get a /boot with a / and a swap.
    Grub will install in the correct place.
    And that's all you need to known.

SJ
    Thanks SlowJet, I'll try this. I've installed Fedora 10 sucessfully before with only 1 partition (just mount the root "/" folder, formatted as ext3, no swap ^^). I think my installation media has problems.

Thanks so much ^^.
    Last edited by peter_george; 14th October 2009 at 06:32 AM.

scottro is offline Retired Community Manager -- Banned from Texas by popular demand.
    It's possible that as you say, when adding the various scim packages, something else got broken.

I think SlowJet is on the money here, reinstall, (this time from an uncustomized DVD). You can install without a /boot partition, but I believe you will have to be sure to not accept the default of /ext4 for root. (This has been fixed in F12, but I think that the install CD/DVD of F11 required an ext2 or 3 /boot partition--so, if one went for ext4, you could NOT use ext4, F11's install DVD grub couldn't boot it.

Assuming you have reasonable internet access, you can quickly install scim afterwards. Depending upon what language you use (from what I"ve seen on the forums, currently there is a problem with Korean) you can also try ibus. It is one of those things that Fedora made a default before it's ready for prime time.

To digress, this is the nature of the beast. Fedora will put things in before they're quite ready, and this speeds the process of getting them ready so that distros like Ubuntu (which has a different purpose) will be able to use them. In this case, though, aside from the Korean issue, ibus seems to be an improvement, and is well worth trying, at least for Japanese and Chinese.

So, short answer (which I should have put at the beginning)
    Take SJ's advice and use a non-customized DVD, then install scim afterwards.
    --
    http://srobb.net

peter_george, I concur with scottro's words and a +1 to SlowJet's advice regarding installation.
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F18 Spherical Cow - 3.11.10-100.fc18.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F19 Schrödinger's Cat - 3.14.25-100.fc19.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F20 Heisenbug - 3.17.4-200.fc20.x86_64 / i686
    2 dual cores, 11 GB RAM, F21 - 3.17.4-300.fc21.x86_64 / i686
    80 x86_64 computing cores, 144 GB RAM & 8 SATA Seagate 7200.12 500 GB harddisks

Quote Originally Posted by scottro
    It's possible that as you say, when adding the various scim packages, something else got broken.

I think SlowJet is on the money here, reinstall, (this time from an uncustomized DVD). You can install without a /boot partition, but I believe you will have to be sure to not accept the default of /ext4 for root. (This has been fixed in F12, but I think that the install CD/DVD of F11 required an ext2 or 3 /boot partition--so, if one went for ext4, you could NOT use ext4, F11's install DVD grub couldn't boot it.

Assuming you have reasonable internet access, you can quickly install scim afterwards. Depending upon what language you use (from what I"ve seen on the forums, currently there is a problem with Korean) you can also try ibus. It is one of those things that Fedora made a default before it's ready for prime time.

To digress, this is the nature of the beast. Fedora will put things in before they're quite ready, and this speeds the process of getting them ready so that distros like Ubuntu (which has a different purpose) will be able to use them. In this case, though, aside from the Korean issue, ibus seems to be an improvement, and is well worth trying, at least for Japanese and Chinese.

So, short answer (which I should have put at the beginning)
    Take SJ's advice and use a non-customized DVD, then install scim afterwards.
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_ramsey
    peter_george, I concur with scottro's words and a +1 to SlowJet's advice regarding installation.
    As scottro said, I realize that Fedora 11 does not allow the "/boot" partition to be on an ext4. So I choose to use a single ext3 partition and mount the root "/" (include /boot).

I'll download another ISO to reinstall Fedora 11^^. Maybe this will fix the problem .

Thanks all you guys again ^^.