FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community

Unhappy Dual-Booting Fedora 11 and Vista (Vista installed first)

Hello there.

I'm trying to find a simple solution to dual-boot Fedora 11 onto Vista Home Basic Edition, using the live disk as the installation media, but I can't find one anywhere. Maybe you could point me in the right direction... (But first let me explain that I am a newbie when it comes to Linux.)

So, my computer specs are...

Make/Model: Dell Inspiron 1525
    Processor: Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4200

That's basically all I can give. If you need more information, just post saying so.

Thanks, Myrcroft.
    Last edited by Myrcroft; 11th September 2009 at 10:56 PM.

Get a copy of the install DVD. I think there have been problems installing with the Live CD.

Back up your Windows system.
    Use Vista's disk tools to shrink the disk and create a 20GB (minimum) empty partition for Fedora. You should consider a 1 or 2GB swap partition too, but you can get away without it. Install Fedora choosing the empty partition you created as an install destination. The installer will install the boot loader. Reboot when told to and you should see a menu offering Fedora and Other. Other is Windows.
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

@glennzo: I don't think I need to go through another time-deprivating download again. Same to say for the image burning.

But I need to ask, is what you're saying applicable to the live CD? And, are the steps you are stating the only steps I need to take, or is it more intricate than that?

Quote Originally Posted by Myrcroft
    @glennzo: I don't think I need to go through another time-deprivating download again. Same to say for the image burning.

But I need to ask, is what you're saying applicable to the live CD? And, are the steps you are stating the only steps I need to take, or is it more intricate than that?
    As long as you have somewhere to install Fedora while keeping the Windows install intact (extra drive or unused space), the installer should recognize the Windows installation and add it to the boot loader list. That way at boot you can choose which one you want. Sometimes you have to tweak the automatic boot loader setup but its not too bad.

On another note if downloading and burning an image is too much trouble then why are you trying another operating system? You're going to have to learn many new things and that's time consuming, much more so than just burning another disc. Get your head in the right place if you want to make it worthwhile. Cheers!

@olson: Thanks for explaining, olson. You're help and glennzo's help is/are gladly appreciated and will be put to good use.

But I understand that I'm going to need to get through some pretty hefty obstacles with downloading another operating system, but the fruit just seems so enticing that I just can't resist! What I'm trying to say is that I'm not trying to prevent myself from learning new things but I don't see why I need to have to do something a different way to get basically the same reward that I already have...
    Last edited by Myrcroft; 12th September 2009 at 02:04 AM.

Hi Mycroft. As I said, I think there may be issues with installing using the Live CD. I may be dead wrong. Seems as though I've seen messages posted about that in this forum. I hope I'm wrong so you don't need to wast time and bandwidth downloading something unnecessary.

When I got my new laptop I wanted to install Fedora and keep the Vista install intact. What I did was pretty much what I stated in the above post. I shrunk the 160GB disk and created 3 new partitions of approximately 20GB each and 1 2GB partition to be used as swap. My plan was to install Fedora, Windows XP and another Linux distribution at a later date. I've accomplished this plan as I now boot Vista, XP, Fedora and CentOS. Vista was never harmed at all. The partitions were created with Vista's Disk Management Tool. It was surprisingly easy and fast. Once that was complete I rebooted with the install DVD and installed Fedora, choosing one of the empty partitions to install to. Fedora was installed and the GRUB boot loader was installed to the MBR. Upon reboot after completion of the Fedora installation I was indeed greeted with a boot menu that offered Fedora and Other. As I said, Other is Windows Vista. It really is as simple as that. I'm sure others will attest to this.

One of the most important things you need to do before all of this is to back up your important data. Things can and sometimes do go wrong. One never knows what will happen and if disaster strikes you need to have a plan in place. My laptop came with restore DVD's. If you don't have these I strongly recommend making a set before you do anything else. You need to make sure you can recover if need be.

Make sure you have a clear picture of just what partitions exist after you create them and exactly where you are going to put Fedora. Here's what my disk "looks" like now.
    Code:
    [glenn@leonardo ~]$ sudo /sbin/fdisk -l
    Password: 

Disk /dev/sda: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xb65eac19

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
    /dev/sda1               1         192     1536000   27  Unknown
    /dev/sda2   *         192       13975   110712832    7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda3           13976       16586    20972857+   7  HPFS/NTFS
    /dev/sda4           16587       19457    23061307+   5  Extended
    /dev/sda5   *       16587       17891    10482381   83  Linux
    /dev/sda6           17892       19196    10482381   83  Linux
    /dev/sda7           19197       19457     2096451   82  Linux swap / Solaris
    /dev/sda1 is the Toshiba restore partition. Not to be touched.
    /dev/sda2 is the Vista partition.
    /dev/sda3 is the XP partition.
    /dev/sda4 is the Extended partition. This contains the rest of the partitions.
    /dev/sda5 is Fedora.
    /dev/sda6 is CentOS.
    /dev/sda7 is of course the swap partition.

The partitions that are labeled as Linux were not like that when I created them. They were just empty partitions with no label. They were formatted and given a label during the installation process. The installer took care of that. You just need to chose the correct partition.

You can see that I needed to be sure of just where I was going to put Fedora so that I wouldn't accidentally blow away Vista. Same can be said about when I installed XP and CentOS. I need to know what partitions were in use and what partitions were available. So I guess my point here is pay attention to what you're doing and know where you're going with the installation.

Think it through. Plan it out. It's really easy to install Fedora but I understand that it may be a little intimidating if you've never done it before.

Oh! Did I mention to back up your important data?
    Glenn
    The Bassinator

Talking

Ok, thanks. I'll take this into mind when I start the installation process, but, in going along cautiously, I'll have it on my recently resurrected Inspiron 1525.

P.S. Another set of thanks for understanding what a schoolboy has to go through, and there are lots of times where a certain schoolboy doesn't have the time to work with something so hefty.