FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13

    EPEL Problem

    Hello everyone,

    I just installed EPEL using the instructed command,

    Code:
    su -c 'rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm'
    and then I did yum update and got this error,

    Code:
    Setting up Update Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib.i386 0:2.020-1.el5 set to be updated
    --> Processing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8.8) for package: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020-1.el5.i386
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020-1.el5.i386 from epel has depsolving problems
      --> Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8.8) is needed by package perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020-1.el5.i386 (epel)
    Error: Missing Dependency: perl(:MODULE_COMPAT_5.8.8) is needed by package perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020-1.el5.i386 (epel)
     You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
     You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
                            package-cleanup --dupes
                            rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
    Any ideas what could cause this?


    Thanks,
    Metropolis

  2. #2
    pete_1967 Guest
    EPEL repository is for Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL), not for Fedora.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for the reply Pete!

    EPEL repository is for Red Hat Enterprise (RHEL), not for Fedora.
    Oh.....why is it in the fedora website then? https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
    How can I uninstall EPEL? Im not very good with repositories.....

    What im trying to do is upgrade to the newest version of bugzilla, but the repositories that are installed do not have the latest version, so I was trying to find the latest version. Do you know anywhere that I can get this?

    Metropolis

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Connellsville, PA, USA
    Posts
    11,307
    Hello Metropolis:

    And welcome to the Forum!

    You are also welcome to post questions about EPEL here (and there's a good chance you'll get a helpful response), however, since it's not directly related to Fedora, the thread is being moved to "Linux Chat".

    Good Luck,
    V

  5. #5
    pete_1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    Oh.....why is it in the fedora website then? https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
    Would have given you the answer right away if you had bothered to read the page you are linking to before jumping the gun and installing the package.

    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    How can I uninstall EPEL? Im not very good with repositories.....
    rpm -e epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm

    And then remove repo from /etc/yum.repos.d/

    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    What im trying to do is upgrade to the newest version of bugzilla, but the repositories that are installed do not have the latest version, so I was trying to find the latest version. Do you know anywhere that I can get this?
    Haven't needed package for Bugzilla lately so can't tell you which versions are available (and I'm using F9 anyway), but Bugzilla itself is just a web application and package just provides lazy way to install it, but to be honest, it's just as easy to install from "source" (no building involved).

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Thanks for the help pete.

    Would have given you the answer right away if you had bothered to read the page you are linking to before jumping the gun and installing the package.
    Yeah I saw that it said that at the top, but I found that page from another forum that said you could use that repo. I feel that if that repo is for RHEL, then it should be on the RedHat website, not the fedora website. But thats just my opinion.
    but Bugzilla itself is just a web application and package just provides lazy way to install it,
    I tried installing it from source before, and it was a pain in the ass trying to get all the Perl modules installed and the permissions correct. Thats why I was trying to do it this way, but I can try and look at it again.

    Thanks a lot pete, I appreciate your help on this.

    Metropolis

  7. #7
    pete_1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    I tried installing it from source before, and it was a pain in the ass trying to get all the Perl modules installed and the permissions correct. Thats why I was trying to do it this way, but I can try and look at it again.
    If you find solving the dependencies hard work, try following:
    1- install Bugzilla from repos (this will resolve all dependencies).
    2- Download the latest version from Bugzilla site
    3- Copy the download version over the repo installation.

    You shouldn't have any issues (except maybe some hiccups if repo version is updated) and there shouldn't be any Perl dependency problems (if there are, e.g. older versions of modules, remove the packaged version and use CPAN to install latest).

    The important thing is to copy, not move the new files to the server, this ensures that their SELinux context remains correct and saves you trouble from relabelling them.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Your the man Pete.

    I actually had already started jacking with it before you replied so I already had messed it up lol. First I did yum localinstall on the 3.4.1 bugzilla version. That installed it, but a few perl mods were not installed for some reason. I installed those mods, and ran the setup which worked fine. I then changed my localconfig file for bugzilla so that it was correct. Then I tried browsing to the bugzilla location, which gave me an error on one of the mods.

    I ended up trying to reinstall the newest version and oldest version a few more times before you messaged me at which point I realized that it was SELinux causing the problem. I ALWAYS forget about SELinux...... So I did touch /.autorelabel and rebooted which seems to have fixed the problem and its on the newest version!

    Thanks again for all your help Pete, I really appreciate your patience with me.

    Metropolis

  9. #9
    pete_1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    Your the man Pete.

    I actually had already started jacking with it before you replied so I already had messed it up lol. First I did yum localinstall on the 3.4.1 bugzilla version. That installed it, but a few perl mods were not installed for some reason. I installed those mods, and ran the setup which worked fine. I then changed my localconfig file for bugzilla so that it was correct. Then I tried browsing to the bugzilla location, which gave me an error on one of the mods.

    I ended up trying to reinstall the newest version and oldest version a few more times before you messaged me at which point I realized that it was SELinux causing the problem. I ALWAYS forget about SELinux...... So I did touch /.autorelabel and rebooted which seems to have fixed the problem and its on the newest version!

    Thanks again for all your help Pete, I really appreciate your patience with me.

    Metropolis
    Next time just remember: moving is bad, copying is good

    Glad to hear it worked out in the end.

    P.S. You can just run
    Code:
    restorecon -R -v '[path to directory]'
    to restore SELinux context in a directory (enclose path in single quotes), no need to go through whole relabelling and rebooting process.
    Last edited by pete_1967; 8th September 2009 at 10:32 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    to restore SELinux context in a directory (enclose path in single quotes), no need to go through whole relabelling and rebooting process.
    I had read on a redhat page that if you just relabel things without rebooting it could mess things up.

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...tion-0068.html

    Of course, it did say "if you relabel the whole system" so maybe thats what it meant.

    Thanks,
    Metropolis

  11. #11
    pete_1967 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Metropolis
    I had read on a redhat page that if you just relabel things without rebooting it could mess things up.

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/e...tion-0068.html

    Of course, it did say "if you relabel the whole system" so maybe thats what it meant.

    Thanks,
    Metropolis
    restorecon is not the same thing: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux/restorecon

    And while we are talking about SELinux, bookmark http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SELinux/ for future use.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13
    Ok thanks again for all your help Pete, I learn something new every day on Fedora so maybe someday I will be great at it.

    Metropolis

Similar Threads

  1. Problem with epel.repo
    By TommyV in forum Using Fedora
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 29th June 2009, 10:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •