New At Linux
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile New At Linux

My friends were talking about Linux and how it overpowers windows. They told me to try it out
    Since I got a new laptop with Vista x64 I followed their advice and used Ubuntu.
    As soon as I looked at the live install, i was like, this theme isn't for me. (I know I could change it but that would kill the original developers vision of the linux distro theme) Everything was fine, then I found it had really old software =( firefox that hasn't been updated to the latest 3.5 and some other proggys.
    Eventually I got that feeling where I need seriously get another linux distro, (like this doesn't feel like home) so I looked around the net and found Fedora,

I installed the Fedora 11 live cd, had a glitch or so after the install, the disc ejected but I had to hard shut it down.
    It looked just amazing, like I would rather pay $199 or whatever it cost for windows, for this operating system instead even though its free.

I like Pidgin since I can add all my services together AIM/MSN and so on. and talk to all my buddies without having AIM/MSN proggys on at the same time on Windows.
    no More windows explorer errors and some other problems.

Fedora only had 1 frozen lockup on firefox so far. Aside from that its good, I discovered no problems so far using this bleeding edge distro. Ill be prepared for future errors but its really fun on this distro so far.
    Everything works great, RPMfusion was needed for wireless drivers and fixing up my alsabase.conf for my dell studio sound. So far everything is perfect for a normal home user like me.

I will miss this Lion Leonidas theme when Constantine comes out but oh well, I will get used to it.

Also my dell says my laptop is eligible for Windows 7 free upgrade. I will pass. =P windows isn't needed for me at all.

Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad it's working out for you so far. There's bound to be some glitches along the way, since Fedora's a testing distro and being constantly tweaked, but that's part of the fun. Of course, you can continue to use Windows as well, plus any other distro that interests you. Most members do.
    Linux & Beer - That TOTALLY Computes!
    Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob
    Glad it's working out for you so far. There's bound to be some glitches along the way, since Fedora's a testing distro and being constantly tweaked, but that's part of the fun. Of course, you can continue to use Windows as well, plus any other distro that interests you. Most members do.
    thanks! yeah Im having fun so far!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bob's post is basicly what i tell new linux users and new linux users that install fedora as there first distro

if you DO want to learn how to fix things AND you are having fun doing it then fedora is a good choice

fedora is not so good for the office . But the office is NOT fedora's target market .

just keep it fun .
    OpenSUSE 13.2-64bit & Scientific Linux 6.6-64bit ( fedora 4 to 11) and 20 on KVM
    My Celestia Downloads

h t t p ://celestiamotherlode.net/catalog/show_creator_details.php?creator_id=10

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnVV
    bob's post is basicly what i tell new linux users and new linux users that install fedora as there first distro

if you DO want to learn how to fix things AND you are having fun doing it then fedora is a good choice

fedora is not so good for the office . But the office is NOT fedora's target market .

just keep it fun .
    ---Actually John, I believe that the desktop IS a good part of the fedora (RedHat) target market; think of PolicyKit, PackagKit, PulseAudio (networded audio), No-Root-Login, and the built-in kernel modules. These are, for the most part, aimed at a desktop installation. I imagine that Redhat is building in some insurance against MS tweaking their OS's so as to not work with Redhat's server business. If this is so, and we may never know for sure, it appears to me to make really good business sense.

Regards,
    Bob